Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oplix

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Like a lot of other people, I wasn't a happy camper today after the ip4s was announced. However I knew that this was a possibility. I watched the keynote tonight and I was very disappointed when HSPA+ was mentioned. Quite honestly I was mostly disappointed about the screen size but now that I think about it this is almost as bad.

The problem with HSPA+ is that there will be 0% improvement in speed in areas which suffer network congestion. I live in NYC where there are constant congestions during the day and on the weekend. It's all nice and swell on paper but in reality ip4s will be just as horrible accessing data in congested areas as any regular HSPA phone.

For those who might be uninformed in the matter, HSPA+ uses the exact same pool of bandwidth as any other 3G connection.

I feel like Phil was biting his own tongue when he presented the bar graph of "theoretical maximum speeds". It was almost like an awkward silence and you could tell that he was not confident in presenting it.

The matter of fact is that Apple will not favor one network over another. ATT and Verizon are a good example of that. While both offer less than adequate 3G connectivity in congested areas, Verizon has had LTE available. However, Apple has not decided to take advantage of it. It seems like they are willing to wait until ATT has caught up before releasing relevant hardware.

This would all be fine if it wasn't for other manufacturers pumping out LTE phones to Verizon with a plethora of hardware options.

On another note..

I really feel like there is something strange happening with the company. It feels like they are polishing a turd to be honest. I'm reluctant to think that the direction will change for the better.

Apple knows that they are in trouble but the problem is that they are heavily relying on brand loyalty to continue their success. It seems that the competition has caught up and Apple is hard pressed to continue driving innovation while maintaining record profits. It couldn't have come at a worse time now that Steve Jobs has stepped down.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Apple is not doing LTE because it absolutely kills batteries.

The competition may (on some occasions) surpass the iPhone in hardware specs, but their interface (OS) isn't even close to being in the same league as iOS.

As it has been, and always be, the user experience is what will sell the device.

Bryan

oplix

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Off the top of my head I don't know what difference it makes, but it's not HSPA+ according to the specs listed. It's HSDPA. There's been at least a couple of mentions of this...did Cook say HSPA+, I don't recall...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

It's irrelevant what he referred it to. I used the term HSPA+ to define the difference from the iphone 4.

----------

Did you just call the iPhone 4 a turd?

Polishing a turd is a phrase used to describe exaggerated improvement.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Off the top of my head I don't know what difference it makes, but it's not HSPA+ according to the specs listed. It's HSDPA. There's been at least a couple of mentions of this...did Cook say HSPA+, I don't recall...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

If Apple is using the same chip found in the iPad 2 CDMA and iPhone 4 CDMA (likely), then according to Qualcomm's data sheets, it is indeed HSPA+.

drb1992

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
It's irrelevant what he referred it to. I used the term HSPA+ to define the difference from the iphone 4.

----------

Polishing a turd is a phrase used to describe exaggerated improvement.
It's not always used that way though. I just had to check lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.