Why I am hating the Retina MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ultra AleM, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Hello. I bought a Retina MBP 15 model. I like it very much but there are two things that make me really mad.

1) Ironically the screen it self. All the normal resolution contents are seen like crap. In this forum itself the elements in the 'new topic page' are all blurry. And sincerely I think that the retina optimized text itself is not precise and clear as the non retina model, where the pixels are bigger so you see it very decided and your eyes can focus on it better.

2) The UI is often laggy. If it is laggy with its own OS I expect to get worse with MAC OS 10.9. I wanted a MacBook which could be well for 2-3 years. This model is going to be a **** in one year I guess.

Thanks a lot.

2. Speedy Gonzalez macrumors regular

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

^ This.

If you bought it directly from Apple, either online or in store, and are within 14 days, you'll get a full refund, no questions asked.

4. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Yes but I wanted just to ask you WHY. Is this normal? Everyone claims this is the best computer Apple ever made. I do not understand why.

5. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Not I. Quite the opposite, in fact. I think it's Apple's worst product since the liquid-cooled G5 Mac Pro.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There is no G5 Mac Pro, so I guess that means rMBP doesn't exist either? :p

7. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I am really indecise. I mean, the display is good: it has no reflections, quite.

What could I get instead? A cMBP? Isn't that display too glossy? I don't like the high res one because the text gets too small.

Kind of hard decision. I'd save money but I am scared about the size and display.

8. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

What i am doing - write the guys responsible for those low res image a mail. Update your crap. It's the 21st century. I mean in the long run, we will have Retina (whatever marketing term) only displays in a couple of years. Could as well start now to please all the iPad, iPhone etc users, too.

Just today i sent 2 developers (Synology and Vandyke) an email to please consider upgrading their Software to meet Retina standards. More people need to do this, otherwise it will not happen.

I don't see this happening a lot (on my 13 retina). Mail could be faster, agreed. But using webkit gets rid of most scrolling lag. Browsing is very smooth with this. Browsing through cover Art in iTunes could use some improvement and I'm sure that there are some other apps that could use some retina love. But it will not happen over night. It's much better now than it was 9 months ago when Retinas launched.

9. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Not sure about your issues....you might have a lemon. Have you stopped by an Apple store to have them look at it? That would be the best place to start. Maybe a replacement is in order.
    To me the rMBP is the best one yet....... I buy a new MBP every year. Sell my old one on CL. I have had the 2012 cMBP and the 2012 rMBP. So far the Retina blows them all away. Its architecture is faster. The rMBP is like have the benefits of a Macbook Air (lighter more portable) and the speed of the MBP but faster and with a great screen

10. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

That's strange. A cMBP has the same Retina hardware (just the HDD but it is replacable) but has half pixels. So it should be better with performance.

11. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

I believe the SSD has a huge impact on performance of the retina. If the cMBP had the same SSD its performance would be similar.

12. walkie macrumors 6502

Just return it, this is first time someone complains about the look of the fonts on a rMBP lol.

13. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Its not only the SSD. The 650M in the rmbp is clocked higher and has 1GB ram instead of 512MB. Which arguably makes a big difference.

14. Ultra AleM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Okay but it lags anyways. I think the hardware is not ready for 4 million pixels.

15. walkie macrumors 6502

The hardware is ready, what is not ready is the software, download nightly webkit and use it instead of Safari for web browsing and you will see that the UI lag disappears at all, we are waiting for the next ML version which optimises the software and GPU drivers. My 15" rMBP is impressively fast.

16. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Last July I stated that in two or three years time the 2012 RMBP will be look at like it were a first generation, overpriced "toy" (much like the first generation MBA) and said I'd revisit that statement in 2014. Maybe I'll do it sooner than later!

17. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

Not the same way the hardware is used.....they system bus is faster with the soldering on the ram and SSD onto the logic board. When other notebook throttle performance because of heat. The rMBP keeps going...
    From Apple:
    We designed every aspect of the MacBook Pro with Retina display with performance in mind. From the beginning, the entire internal structure was built to house the very best high-performance components. The 15-inch model features the most powerful processor and graphics we’ve ever put in a notebook. And the 13-inch MacBook Pro is the lightest MacBook Pro ever — giving you great performance in a notebook almost a pound lighter than its predecessor. Despite packing such an enormous amount of power into such a slim design, we still achieved an astonishing 7-hour battery life.2 We also found a way to integrate the highest-quality speakers we’ve ever designed for a notebook. And we engineered a new cooling system that draws in air from three sides of the notebook. Alone, each of these elements is an incredible accomplishment. Together, they make MacBook Pro the world’s most advanced notebook.

----------

do you have one? How do you know how it performs?

18. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I would venture to say "no" and "he doesn't".

Implying the 15 in. rMBP is an overpriced toy is straight hating on something you have no clue about. I think the kids call that "trolling".

19. leman macrumors 604

In my experience, the text and content look stunning and UI is extremely responsive. So yes, I do think that its the best computer Apple ever made. It is in human nature to have different opinions though ;)

----------

rMBPs RAM subsystem is also around 10% faster due to the fact that its soldered-on and could be optimized to the extreme.

Anyway, if you are not happy with a product, you should return it. Apple offerst very flexible return policies. Just tell them that you are unhappy and they will send someone to pick the machine up, no questions asked. Maybe try again when the next model comes out, it might fix the problems you are having.

20. jackgreenfield macrumors newbie

I dropped by my local Apple Store to look at the rMBP and could not tell a difference in how things looked. This was after placing a regular MBP right next to it.

I was considering getting one anyway, but this thread is making me think twice...

21. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Agreed i have both Mid 2012 Retina and Late 2011 15"MBP, the Retina is hands down the far better machine, faster, cooler, offers greater portability, better audio, and then we have the display.

Comparing the Retina to 1st gen Air, simply speaks volumes about the lack of understanding of the hardware. i know it`s a bit of a secret, however the vast majority or Retina owners have systems that perform exactly as advertised ;)

As a rule i don't buy into Apple`s hype, but i must say that the 15" Retina MBP is without any doubt the best portable i have ever owned and I've had few

22. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I hear about laggy UI on the rMBP often.

A cMBP or an iMac.

Anyone can add a SSD to a cMBP.

No it's not.

cMBPs can have 1GB VRAM too...

I did the same thing yesterday (well at BestBuy). I mean sure there was a difference, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

23. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

Well said...That's pretty much the outlook I have!

A lot of people wont see those valid points, what you also have to take into consideration is that just about everyone saying that it's not that big of a difference are people with cMBP's.

That can range from people who have had they're machines for a long time and just don't care, people that are shopping for a machine that are basically just trying to justify not spending the extra money for the retina, or people who simply just dont have the funds to afford such an expensive machine.

Either way, the debate is getting old and tiring...If you don't like or care for having such a beautiful screen, then just either enjoy what you have or for those shopping just get a cMBP instead of knocking the Retina. What will all these complainers do when Apple just goes all retina...lol

24. Trubbles macrumors member

I've gotten past those minor issues.

"Some elements look blurry sometimes"

vs

"My photos and videos look awesome, and I can work at 1920x1200 on a 4.6lb laptop. Oh, and play games on the road at reasonably good framerates, on a 4.6lb laptop!"

25. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Stop stressing. Not everyone is comfortable with cutting-edge technology. Return it (or sell it) and get an older, slower model. Problem solved!