Why I am not happy with my macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Billy Bob, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Billy Bob macrumors regular

I have recently had a number of messages from users saying that i have never clearly expressed which issues I have had with my macbook. I think that I have, however, I am going to reiterate the story as clearly as possible

Firstly I have used apple products for the last 10 years at least. I have had a an imac, emac, G5 tower, ibook (2) and now a macbook. I have been quite happy with them all except for the macbook. The ibook I loved, it was well built had zero problems and I loved the keyboard.

Now in regards to the macbook: I bought it approximately 8-9 months ago and immediately I was annoyed by the design of the keyboard which I am much much slower typing on, not to mention less accurate. I didn't give up though I thought that will some practice I would get used to it, however, it dawned on me 3 months on that I hadn't' become used to it at all and it was just as cumbersome as ever. I do understand that the keyboard is subjective but I have talked to a number of people who don't like it either so it isn't just me. My next issue which has been beat to death here already is the sharp edge on the front of the keyboard, but that's as far as I'm going to go with that at the moment.

Durability issue's have also reared their ugly head. My trackpad, keyboard and palm rests are worn completely smooth, which is shocking in only 8 months. I also have the famous discoloring palm rests to make matters worse. My next problem occured in the form of a broken screen. I always keep it in a case for transport however that seemed to not be enough and a broken LSD was what I was left with even though it was hardly thrown around. After checking with apple I learned that a new screan would cost almost as much as a new macbook and in light of all the other issues I was close to just selling it. After searching a bit I found a place on the internet that offered a new screen for under 250 dollars so I ordered it and installed it myself. I was further disgusted when I went to install the new screen by the poor quality of the macbook on the inside.. for example the screen bezel is held on with cheap plastic clips that break and then cost an absolute arm and a leg from apple to replace. Some less serious issues on top of all these have been keys that feel like they are coming loose, scratches everywhere (even though it's always kept in a case) and cracking of the keyboard.

I expect this post to create some anger in the die hard mac fans of this forum, but please remember that the reason that I write this is because I have been accused of constantly complaining but never stating why. Obviously the later issues I have not consulted apple about as changing my screen myself voided my warrenty.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Personally I am not dilussional to think that Apple does not actually make a really bad product from time to time. Rather their idea of QC in my opinion has gone downhill. However, it sounds like some of your issues are known issue and may be covered under warranty.

I'm not really inclined to get angry at people who post why they hate whatever their device is on a site dedicated to the company that makes such device. I'd rather say that it may be of more use to you to speak to Apple. Unfortunately each issue you listed for the most part cannot be resolved by simply giving advice. Broken LCD = be careful. Dirty palm rests = wash your hands. I mean these types of things can't simply be done. Your hands are probably clean and it sounds like you're careful. Perhaps you just got a bad seed. Apple puts out many bad seeds and will continue because that is in fact the nature of the beast.

I hope somehow your problems get resolved.

FWIW, I had a nice $100 keyboard and after 6 months use the right side of the space bar was smooth from use. I think it just happens. Plastic wears.

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Well this is reason no. 1 for selling the darn thing.

Reason no. 2 for selling the darn thing and reason no. 1 for sending it in for repair first.

Stupid stupid stupid. Why would you go and do this when you obviously doesn't like the laptop ffs!?!??
    You could have gotten a free repair from Apple and then been gone with it by the end of the day, or week seeing as it takes some time repairing the stuff.

While I in some way or the other hope that your actions were more well grounded than they seem in this thread I cannot help but judge it on the information you gave us: Obviously you have made some exceptionally bad decisions with your hated laptop, now rendered more or less unsellable.
    I agree with you with the sharp edges thing and if you do not like the keyboard you shouldn't use it but everything is just... sorry to say it... plain stupid actions from your part.

Maybe it was the dreaded 'hooked on OS X' curse that made you do it and I do understand that. That was why I switched to a MBP instead of the (IMO) horribly built macbook.

And yes, the iBooks were great durable machines so at this point it's the tradeoff between design and speed. A horrible choice... :(

4. MacGuyver macrumors member

I went from a Pismo Powerbook to a macbook and didn't skip a beat. Macbooks rock. Sorry your experience sucked. Maybe it's cuz your name is Billy Bob.

5. Billy Bob thread starter macrumors regular

HTML:
    Reason no. 2 for selling the darn thing and reason no. 1  for sending it in for repair first.
    I don't feel like shelling out more money for another lap top right now

HTML:
    Stupid stupid stupid. Why would you go and do this when you obviously doesn't like the laptop ffs!?!??
    You could have gotten a free repair from Apple and then been gone with it by the end of the day, or week seeing as it takes some time repairing the stuff.
    Why? well because with out a new screen it isn't worth much and is totally useless to me. Sorry but apple doesn't replace broken LSD screens for free, they do it for over 800 bucks. I'm failing to see what's stupid here.

HTML:
    While I in some way or the other hope that your actions were more well grounded than they seem in this thread I cannot help but judge it on the information you gave us: Obviously you have made some exceptionally bad decisions with your hated laptop, now rendered more or less unsellable.
    I agree with you with the sharp edges thing and if you do not like the keyboard you shouldn't use it but everything is just... sorry to say it... plain stupid actions from your part.
    What bad decisions did I make? I could have paid over 800 bucks to have the LSD screen replaced by mac which would have allowed me to keep my warrenty for at best 3 months more (I didn't and never intended to buy apple care)

6. kamiboy macrumors 6502

I think it is important to remember that Apple does not make bad products just because you dislike some aspect of it or if YOUR product happened to break down. There such a thing as taste and it differs from person to person, not to mention peoples differing personal experiences when using the same product.

As for things being flimsy, spotty, badly built and prone to breaking it is important to bear in mind that just because yours happened to brake does not mean the product is generally flawed or badly built, it could and often is just a case of an isolated incident. What is important and significant is statistical data on what % of items in a product series experience problems.

All reports I've seen seem to suggest that Apple has its sheit together and the % of faulty products are among the lowest in the industry. Apple fans are just happen to be insanely picky when it comes to the smallest of details and are prone to throw virtual fits when something is not exactly just the way they think it should be or if god forbid something breaks down. It's electronics people, they are prone to breaking, get over your self and look at the bigger picture.

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

did you break the display? If you did, thats why Apple didn't help you.

There is a reason they have a 1 year warranty on their products.

8. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Considering that this chap had it for 9 months, if Apple didn't/refused to repair it, why didn't he have it covered under his home and contents insurance? For a few bucks per week, he could have rung up his insurance company, made a claim, and assuming he isn't a 'claim-a-holic', the most he would have needed to pay would have been $50 or so.

I find it funny when people like Billy crap in their own bed, then turn around and blame Apple for their own action.

9. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

kawai, what is the 'deductible' on your home insurance policy for broken items and such?

10. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

hmmm, haven't had a look since it comes out automatically each week - what ever it is, it worked out cheaper than two coffee's per week.

I used it when my last iPod got stolen, but given I rarely pull on it, I've yet to be penalised yet.

Again, it all comes down to personal responsibility, poor old Billy is looking to blame Apple for his own mistakes.

11. Billy Bob thread starter macrumors regular

The deductable on my household insurance is 1000 dollars. Do you honestly think that it wouldn't have occured to me to do this if it was a possibility. I don't know what deductables are like down in kiwi land but for us in the real world generally the claim has to be fairly sizable to make it cost effective.

It's my fault that apple didn't make a more durable product? I see my little friend is getting bend out of shape again because I have a valid criticism about apple.

apple considers a broken LCD to be abuse

12. TheStu macrumors 65816

I do agree that the keyboard is pretty subjective, however, most of the people I have talked to seem to like the MacBook keyboard once they have used it for 15 minutes or so. Frankly, I am slower and more error prone on pretty much any other keyboard now (with the exceptions of Lenovo ThinkPads and other Macs). So I can see where you are coming from in that regard. I have never had an issue with the front edges, but again can understand where people are coming from. I think some over exaggerate the situation 'my god, I am afraid I will lose a pint of blood!!!!!', but the situation does exist.

It truly does suck that your screen broke, and the $800 price tag is a little steep (I thought it was closer to $600), but did you exhaust all possibilities? You have said numerous times in the past here on this forum that 'the MacBook screen cracks really easily' and if that was true, then Apple would have it down as a common problem, and would fix it. The fraying power cord issue? How many of those people do you think, once Apple recognized it, had to actually pay for the replacement? If mine wasn't out of warranty, I would get mine replaced. Also, you could take a quick straw poll of the members here with MacBooks 'Has the screen on your MacBook ever cracked?' If more say no than yes, then you are spreading FUD.

I really do feel for your situation, but I think that you have gone about it all wrong. You have taken the victim stance here, instead of just selling the thing off, or complaining to Apple (politely) about the situation, you come on here, complain about how horrid it is, how much better life was when, and basically not doing anything to fix the situation. I have been lucky enough to have a MacBook that could give an Abrams tank a run for its money in terms of toughness, but I really don't think that mine would be that far from teh norm. It's not like they make one out of every 10000 be bulletproof, and then another 1 out of 10000 be fragile like glass (like that movie Unbreakable)

Thank you though for finally putting all this down

13. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Interesting how different the perception can be. My wife got her MacBook in April this year as a present from me. And she still just loves it. No problems at all. It works fine, looks fine and is used on a daily basis for several hours.

She loves the keyboard. First she had to get used to it for a day, but now she is as fast as on any other keyboard and the keys feel good for her.

We actually had quite some quality issues with the iBook G4 she had before (our little daughter is using for school now): letters on the keys wore of already after a year (so no warranty), the battery didn't fit in completely always leaving an ugly sharp edge, the cable for the built-in microphone got damaged by the case (known issue, fixed it myself) and the trackpad stopped working correctly after a little bit more than a year (so no warranty).

Still the machine works well with a USB mouse and our daughter is all proud to have already her own Mac in 1st grade.

The overall built-quality of the iBooks G4 was way worse than the current Macbooks. And let me tell you, that you have problems like this with every manufacturer out there. The Fujitsu-Siemens laptop I own (3 years old now) had everything replaced during warranty except the case. First the mainboard blew up, then the LCD started to behave funny (stripes) and then the keyboard didn't work properly anymore. I was just lucky that everything was still covered by warranty.

And things that you are using on a daily basis look worn after a few months! This is absolutely normal! Many people I know have laptops and almost all of them looked pretty much beat-up after 6-12 months. Except they were really taking care of them all the time (cleaning and protecting them).

The Macbook is in a mint condition now. No marks of usage after such a long time and heavy usage are just impossible...

Maybe you should lower your expectations to a realistic level...

groovebuster

14. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

So why is its Apple's fault that you ****** your own laptop?

15. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

1) Treat your things with respect and they will last; didn't you ever get taught that when you were young?

2) Is it Apple's fault that your insurance policy is crap? There are all sorts of insurance policies in New Zealand, its up to YOU to pick the one that suites YOU best. When YOU cock up the selection, its up to YOU to suck in your bottom lip and take responsibility for that choice.

3) Durable? mate, you ABUSED your machine. Learn to show your devices around your home a little damn respect. I've got things around this home that look brand new and I have had for almost 5 years! dear god, what is it with people these days being rough with their stuff? you'd think that after spending their hard earned money on a good, they might actually spend a little extra time wanting to protect the investment by treating it with some respect.

16. Billy Bob thread starter macrumors regular

You have things around you home that look brand new after 5 years? :D What the hell are you even talking about? I have things that look brand new in my house that are 30 years old, what does that have to do with anything? Obviously something like a lap top is going to get more wear and tear than something that sites on a shelf. Of course things of better quality do tend to wear better.

I guess I abused my machine by using it... what was I thinking, I should have left it in the box and never touched it. Even more shocking is that I actually typed on it and used the scoll pad that resulted in the surface being worn down. I guess it was the final straw when I put it in a case so I could take it back and forth to work with me which resulted in it getting all scratched up. Thank you my friend you have shown me how foolish I was, had I been more sensable I would have put it in a glass display cabinet and never let a human being near it.

17. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

In a years time I'll put up a photo here of my laptop, and the state it is in, after one year of travelling back and forths from university plus various other travels.

Dear god, do we need to have a 'how to care for your MacBook' montage?

18. TheStu macrumors 65816

Alright seriously, you both are going a little too far with this.

Billy Bob, you obviously did something wrong if your screen broke after you allegedly were careful with it. Getting pissy with anyone that calls you out on this is just silly

Kaiwai, there isn't really a need for you to rub in the fact that Billy Bob screwed up and then compounded it.

19. Billy Bob thread starter macrumors regular

Well I am very very impressed by the outstanding care that you take of your lap top Kaiwai. I can only hope that some day I can follow your outstanding example. I think that you'd better give me a montage (to use your favorite word) about how to care for my computer.

You must be a very popular person at your university with your very congenial personality:D

Yes the screan breakage is my fault, however I don't believe that the other problems I am having can be put on me.

20. TheStu macrumors 65816

Your other problems are...

You don't like the keyboard (can't help you)
    You don't like the sharp edges (Adapt, or make it adapt)
    You have the staining issue (Mr. Clean Magic Erasers!)
    You find the fact that after 9 months of use, it looks used (Um... use it less?)
    All those are issues that almost every MacBook owner has experienced. You very probably got your MacBook at the exact wrong time, as they have since fixed the palmrest staining issue. Also, that is a known issue. If you take the MacBook into an Apple Store, they can evaluate the staining and let you know if you are due for a replacement. I called them about mine, apparently, they have a range of staining, so if yours is stained, but not stained enough then they will not replace it. If it is stained enough, they may replace it with one that is not stained enough, but that was with a service center. If you take it to an Apple Store directly, they may be more helpful.

Did I miss anything? (honest question)

21. Thrawn macrumors member

I don't see why everyone (a few people exluded) are being so hard on Billy Bob...

Billy Bob, get a protection pack from the apple store. It comes with both a palm rest protecter (which helps the sharp edges, staining issue, and the worn down palmrest) and it comes with a screen protecter that doubles as a screen cleaner. That might help you out a little. Sorry about your bad experience with apple. I know how it is to have a product that doesn't work to your expectations. Good luck with it.

-Thrawn

22. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

You should do what I did and replace the MacBook with a 12" PowerBook. I love the thing. Feels like total class.

23. Billy Bob thread starter macrumors regular

I had actually considered that, but I was just wondering how the battery life is on the 12" powerbook?

24. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I have two batteries - both over 4 hours.

With wifi and itunes going, I get 3.30 - better than the MacBook. I am seriously impressed. I guess the slower processor uses less energy - but that's a good thing! The G4 feels snappy for my needs, especially with 1.25GB RAM.

I won't ever look back. The batteries are a huge deal for me. The keyboard feels amazing and there is not a sharp edge. The trackpad is amazing - it's nearly 4 years old and it looks new. Pics are coming soon to a different thread...

25. MacGuyver macrumors member

I get over 4 hours on my macbook with the screen dim all the way..