Why I am Returning my iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Affe, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Affe macrumors member

I am planning to return it for a 8GB iPhone which I might unlock or use just as an iPod.

1. Value isn't worth it for me. For $100 more, you get a dock ($50) + AC adapter ($30) + Mail App + Notes + Camera + Google Maps + Phone Capabilties + Speakers + Physical Volume Buttons + Bluetooth

2. In addition, the iTunes WiFi Music Store and YouTube services don't work most of the time. The Music Store I can understand, but YouTube should be working. I don't know if this is everyone or just me. (Safari works fine though)

3. Best Buy has no restocking fee on iPods.

My screen seems to be fine, but I am not sure what to look for.

EDIT:
    Note that I am perfectly fine with using the iPhone as just an iPod! I am not going to sign a AT&T contract. I might unlock it, so I can use my T-Mobile SIM in it, but I know Apple could break the unlock, so I just see the unlock as a extra that I might use. My current phone and service are great.

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I totally agree with you! I think that you should get one of these :-
    Zune

3. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

This is a logical argument if:

A.) You can deal with having AT&T's coverage. Personally, I'm not sure if I can give up Verizon's network. It really is the best.

B). You can spend at least $60/mo. on your wireless bill. I'm paying less than $40/mo with VZ. Although internet on the go would be nice, I think I can survive without it.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

Those are the same basic reasons that I went straight to the iPhone without even looking at an iPod touch, after reading about its limitations. The iPhone just seems like such a better value than the touch, and I used it to replace my RAZR for only the additional $20/mo data plan. Unfortunately I have to take it back in b/c of the occasional "No SIM Installed" error, but otherwise I am loving it. I think that I made the right choice, and you won't be disappointed with the iPhone vs. the iPod.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

he said he might just unlock it and use it as an iPod

thats not a half bad idea

6. betelgeuse1 macrumors member

betelgeuse1

Mind if I ask, given your reasons, why you got the iPod Touch in the first place? Other than the issues you're having with YouTube (which I assume are buffering problems) you could have figured out the difference between the Touch and iPhone without going through the hassle of buying and returning it...

7. AppleFan08 macrumors member

8. caMi macrumors regular

Only thing to worry about is if Apple releases an Update that messes things up...

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i have 4 weeks to decide...

one point, iphone is not $100 more, its $2000 more, i will never consider it. i trust hacks, these little tricks apple used to restrict device is stupid and weak.

10. MacMan33 macrumors regular

MacMan33

this is already in the works.. I have a friend that is on the development team for Iphone and OS and he has stated they are working on it now and will have it released soon to help the touch sales.. thanks:apple:

11. Affe thread starter macrumors member

Let me just say, I am not planning to get into a AT&T contract! I currently have T-Mobile and I am satisfied with my current phone and plan. If I do unlock the iPhone, that will be a plus, but I am perfectly fine with just having the iPhone as an iPod w/ extras for only $100 more. The dock and ac adapter are things I wanted to buy anyway, so that puts me at a $20 difference and the camera/maps/notes by themselves are worth that IMO.

To be honest, the price barrier before the iPhone price drop was announced just kept it at a void. When the iPod touch came out I just wanted to get it, since it seemed to have most of the stuff I wanted, plus hackability for the other stuff that doesn't come with it. Now, I worked it out in my head, and I came to the conclusion, I want the iPhone

12. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

if you're not going to use at&t, then just stick with the Touch bc for the same price you get twice the memory. Sure, there are no maps, mail or notes but those will definitely come with hacks for the Touch. Also, if you're not getting at&t then you will have the same internet capabilities as the Touch. Also, I dont know why people NEED maps on their Touch. When you're driving, you are most likely not going to have wi-fi. If you are going to buy the iPhone as just an iPod, then get the touch which is thinner, has twice the space, and will have note and mail soon enough. :) :apple:

13. Affe thread starter macrumors member

The dock and AC Adapter are $80 that I am going to spend anyway. That leaves a $20 gap. A few things that the iPhone has is: Speakers (however crummy they may be), a Camera, Bluetooth (however crippled it may be), and I don't have to play russian roulette about the screen, plus the numerous software apps built-in. I prefer the backing of the iPhone as well.

The only downside I see is the headphone jack. I use iPod headphones anyway, but when/if I buy a new pair I will have a narrower choice since I will not buy one of those ugly adapters, but it is positioned on the top which is a plus for me.

14. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

ok i definitely see where you are coming from. But if you use the Apple headphones, then why is bluetooth a plus? If you have bluetooth stereo headsets then i would understand. I get the russian roulette :p, and the camera and speakers are also kinda pluses, even though your current cell phone probably has a camera (albeit probably not 2 mp like the iphone or my env). The main question is, do you want 8 gb or 16 gb of space? I went with 16 because video is meant to be watched on this widescreen. 8gb is not that sufficient for video. I have 5 gb of music so everything so work out well. Do you need only 8? bc that is a decision-maker.

15. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hi,

Similar deal here, i WAS going to get a 16 gb touch but in 2 weeks im getting an 8gb iPhone, for me the camera,speaker and scratch-less back is more than enough to have less storage, besides I know as a fact that unlocked iPhones work in Costa Rica so having it as a phone is also a plus.

16. bartyboy macrumors newbie

you do know that you can't use an iphone as an ipod without signing up with att right? It does NOTHING out of the box

17. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

You do know that you can unlock the iPhone and use it as an iPod without signing up with ATT right? It does NOTHING out of the box until you activate it through either ATT or one of the free unlocking programs that have been the talk of the board for the past few weeks. :rolleyes:

18. Affe thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, 8GB is plenty for me. 3GB of music, 1GB of Music Videos, 3GB of Movies (1GB left for the OS). I don't need to have my entire music collection with me, and 2 movies is probably all I will need, but I totally understand why someone would need 16GB of space. I guess the iPhone fits me more and it is only a matter of time until the 16GB iPhone.

If I'm not mistaken, you can just take out the SIM card and everything will work (minus the phone parts), but there are also other programs that will "activate" your iPhone.

19. bartyboy macrumors newbie

sure you can go through the unlocking process. Time will only tell how often Apple does updates and how many of those re-lock the iphone.

Can anyone confirm that removing the SIM card will give "everything-but-phone" function? Does it sync with itunes?