Why I am returning the Retina Macbook Pro 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xPurpleblob, Nov 16, 2012.

1. xPurpleblob macrumors regular

Ok, like everyone else I was really excited to get a Macbook with a retina display.
    But you know what, the experience has been awful up to this point.
    My journey has been so far like this:

1st MacBook: Yay new Macbook, oops SMC reset issue. It was a Samsung screen though.
    2nd MacBook: LG Display, no image retention, however there was keyboard buzz, excessive creaking, and also very slow to wake up from sleep. Point I started to think about just getting a cMBP instead... But secretly in my brain, I said who am I kidding I want the best of the best!
    3rd MacBook: Image retention FML. Thoughts: Hmm....
    4th MacBook: Ok I was really going to keep this MacBook if it was just a tinny bit of IR but guess what. Like I have no idea how Apple builds their machines, but right at the MacBook Pro logo on the bottom case, when I press on I hear air coming out with crushed pieces of glass. I have no idea how Apple engineered that. And also the hinge has a lot of fidget space and makes popping sounds when opening the lid.

So yeah,
    I'm done with the Retina line.
    Going to buy a cMBP 15, upgrade the RAM to 16 GB with HighRes Anti-Glare Display. Still have money to buy a pair of headphones after that...

People out there thinking if they should buy a rMPB, buy the rMPB. I need someone to suffer as much as I did. Btw, luckily I came to senses before exchanging it 10 times like some other folks... :confused:

Btw, what do you guys think I can sell the 16 GB cMPB with 256 SSD for?
    Thanks.

2. Jack9034 macrumors member

Jack9034

Your experience sounds stressful. I hope mine wont be like that when I eventually get one. You could probably sell it for a couple hundred under what you paid for it.

3. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

Paid for it as the price of the computer without upgrades or with it?

4. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Just taken delivery of a rMBP 15" and all seems perfect.... And I dont please easy. Even has the now required Samsung screen.
    You can be unlucky with any product in life - it took me 4x MacBook Airs till I got one that didn't have various deformities to the unibody!

5. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

Haha that is great!
    I on the other hand, am done. It was emotionally stressful and just tiring.

6. tilstip, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2012

tilstip macrumors newbie

I also returned mine with a LG screen. I made a comparison video which shows the issue:

7. Jack9034 macrumors member

Jack9034

Try and get a couple hundred off the price with the upgrades and if it doesnt sell then maybe lower the price a little bit

8. xPurpleblob thread starter macrumors regular

Btw, do you guys know if they return the 350 bucks I'm getting from the exchange in cash or check?

Oh, just read they're policy, it seems like anything over 350 is by check? Will they give me 250 back in cash if I buy something extra for a hundred dollars?

Btw, I bought the mac in cash.

9. LanceMahe macrumors newbie

MBP retina

To contradict the negative messages:
    Pros:
    I bought my MBP retina last month and it is great!
    Very powerful with 16gb ram, very fast with the fast ssd and the 2,7 quad core!
    Great retina display.
    Never had a beauty like this.

Cons:
    Than again, I never had an expensive machine like this.

conclusion:
    I am very happy with my new machine

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

11. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I really hope I do not go through this problem as you did and I think this is a RARE issue...otherwise this forum would be FLOODED with negative feedback's from the RMBP's

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I bought a base Retina a couple of months back and it`s fine no issues, equally i have no doubt the OP had a bad experience. That being said i wouldn't be overly concerned as this is the very nature of forums, on the polls here 80% - 90% are satisfied, it`s the same every time Apple release a major revision; You can perform the same Google search for any given year the MBP has been in production and come up with a myriad of negative results;

2011 MacBook Pro issues

2010 MacBook Pro issues

2009 MacBook Pro issues

2008 MacBook Pro Issues

2007 MacBook Pro issues

2006 MacBook Pro issues

So employing this logic, one should never buy a Mac :p

13. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Yikes. You can clearly see how much brighter the Samsung display is, too.

14. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

It looks like the OP was unlucky. I have had this rMBP since the first day they came in the local Apple store. No problems with it at all. I have bought several Mac Laptops before and hands down this is the best machine Apple have ever made. Beautiful, fast and silent (in normal operation).