Why I am waiting...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yien, Jul 31, 2008.

1. yien macrumors newbie

Just for some background info, I have been waiting for a new macbook since before the penryns came out and even decided to wait after that since I was still in school. For the past quarter in school, I have been using a 9 years old sony vaio has a secondary laptop which only has a 300 mhz processor and 64 megs of ram. While opening powerpoint files that were bigger than 64 megs the damn thing would grind to a halt. After using it for awhile, I would go on internet archive and look at other old laptops like something with 128 megs of ram and a 500 mhz processor and I would drool over this piece of **** laptop my today standards. So why I am waiting boils down to me making sure I get the best piece of hardware I can for my next 4 years of grad school. Having used the old laptop for so long today I would appreciate even a slight upgrade to the old one (maybe just a bit more ram/ speed). Since school actually starts before these laptops will be released, I plan on borrowing a dell d630 and use my gaming desktop which should be fine but I am pretty damn sick of dealing with windows vista. Yes I do intend to keep this laptop for a long time at least these next 4 years. Now of course the waiting game absolutely sucks. Maybe when i get more information on these new laptops in august I may just 86 this entire waiting game.

2. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

so what are you trying to say here overall?

Just get a macbook now, you wont regret it.

The difference in comparison when using the Mac will make you wish you wold have gottten one a long time ago:D

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Agreed.

I actually had a 300 MHz Dell laptop before switching to my 1st mac, a 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4. I haven't needed a new Mac since (that was ~5 years ago), though I will want an upgrade when Snow Leopard comes out. But I can definitely wait.

If you have a gaming desktop anyway, there's no need to worry about performance vs price.

4. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Exactly. No need to even worry about the next product coming out. Like I just got my Macbook from apple like 2 days ago. Even though i knew about the new book comin out supposedly in september, because i love the white gloSS and I know in the end both are going to be running just the same and doing the same thing just without the supposed Glass pad, not a fan of finger prints anyways and its not something needed...im good on this for many moons to come :D

5. yien thread starter macrumors newbie

i think what i was trying to say was a incremental increase in perofrmance now may not appear as major until the machine gets outdated and its struggling to run programs down the road. For instance the difference between 64 megs and 128 megs of ram back in 99 may not be as significant as it is today since now applications require more and more memory. (yes i know the macbook's memory can be upgraded) I may just take your advice and pick up a blackbook tomrrow anyways

6. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Exactly why not. I was in the same position before i got this whitebook 2 days ago and i realized....why not get it now. I already know what its gonna be like in the future pretty much and Ive been wantin one so i made it happen. Its a beautiful looking machine, and inside its even better and its gonna stay like that. Only change that I will change for is when Snow Leopard comes out.

7. -kumar- macrumors member

same

dude im the same as you. except you have been waiting a LOT longer than i have. i want to get a macbook for this year, i started looking at the start of the summer. heres what i think, it helped me a lot when i figured it out:

ok look, ive been thinking recently and been talking to people in apple stores. ive been trying just as hard as you to find out when the new macbooks are coming out.

there are two rumors floating around: a new ipod touch, and new macbooks. the apple offer "buy a mac and get a free ipod touch" looks like their trying to clear their stock completely. when their stock of macbooks and ipod touchs are low, they will release new ipod touchs and macbooks. the offer ends on september 15, so thats when i estimate they are coming out?

you are waiting because when you finally get it, you will be SO HAPPY !

8. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

seriously, go for it now. what have you to lose?

i bought my macbook last friday, it arrived tuesday, and i can't keep away from it. i love figuring it out and seeing what it can do. you won't be disappointed with the current macbook.

9. Jpoon macrumors 6502

If you need it right now, get it and stop waiting around.

When and if an update comes around, don't regret your decision though, because that just ends up making you feel bad about the investment.

I'd wait for the no tax weekend stuff before school starts if you live near an Apple store.

That's just me though :D

10. dino0829 macrumors member

Ah, the waiting game

I feel your pain, my man. I was one of the poor saps who ordered a MacBook back in Feb 08 from Jarrod and JLi (do a search in this forum, it's a fascinating tragi-comedy). Never came. Got my money back (thank you, Visa), and have been waiting ever since. Rumors of update in June (never came) rumors in July (never came), now they're talking September. I'm going to order Tuesday, Aug. 5 come hell or high water (are you listening, Mr. Jobs?), and I'm going to be thrilled - ecstatic - to get my new "BlancBook." But I'll be kicking myself for not doing it sooner. The lesson here? A day waiting is a day wasted.

11. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

With those specs, you NEED a new computer.

You can't keep playing the waiting game with Apple, otherwise you will always regret your purchases or you will run the machine you are now forever.

Seriously.