Why I believe it will be called the iSlate

Discussion in 'iPad' started by heyrich, Jan 15, 2010.

1. heyrich macrumors newbie

ok so a few weeks ago we heard apple trademarked islate and the islate domain name. heres a little info i dug up that i didnt see posted anywhere online. if you whois apple's domains, they aren't protected. its clear you can tell who the owner is. for example apple.com, ipod.com, itunes.com, iphone.com, applestore, mobileme.com, etc all show

Registrant:
    Apple Inc.
    Apple Inc.
    1 Infinite Loop
    Cupertino CA 95014
    US
    eddingsk@apple.com +1.4089744286 Fax: +1.4089741560

the whois for islate.com

Registrant:
    Domain Administrator
    DNStination, Inc.
    303 Second Street Suite 800N
    San Francisco CA 94107
    US
    admin@dnstinations.com +1.4155319335 Fax: -

which makes sense if apple wanted to call it the islate, they wouldnt make that record public. we also heard a while ago apple got the islate domain and trademark. now if you look at the created/expires/last update details for apple.com it shows

Created on..............: 1987-02-19.
    Expires on..............: 2011-02-19.
    Record last updated on..: 2009-12-30.

note the record last updated on, 12-30-2009. ipod.com, iphone.com, itunes.com, mobileme.com, etc was also last updated on 12-30-2009. guess when islate.com was last updated, 12-30-2009.

Created on..............: 2004-10-30.
    Expires on..............: 2011-10-30.
    Record last updated on..: 2009-12-30.

does this reveal anything for sure? no. but more evidence pointing to that name.

2. heyrich thread starter macrumors newbie

lol isledge.com isnt even registered so im sure if they wanted to call it that they'd spend the ten bucks to grab that domain

3. kroeks macrumors regular

This is our chance! :)
    Well, I think they're up for iSlate too. I think It's a wierd name tho..

4. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Nope. Sounds too close to "isolate". Too awkward for a elegant product name.

5. crobbins macrumors 6502

While I agree that it seems there is a decent amount of evidence that it might be called the iSlate, I still have hopes they name it something else. As many have said, iSlate just seems a little awkward. I'm hoping they came up with something less..awkward I guess.

6. mkelly macrumors regular

I'd rather they drop the i and just go with Slate. As someone else mentioned, iSlate sounds a bit too much like isolate, and just doesn't strike me as an elegant name.

I remember back when the original Newton was announced, there were all sorts of form factors discussed, and the most exciting was the Slate. So maybe my desire for it to be named the Slate is just some kind of late wish-fulfillment. :)

7. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I think it will be called iSlate because through the rumors and what-not the iSlate name has penetrated the consumer. We are already used to calling it an iSlate before Apple has even admitted to its existence.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Apple bought up a ton of domain names including mactablet as well....

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Can't be done. The Apple slate will not be the first electronic slate. The word slate is generic to intelligent electronic devices of this sort. Therefore, Apple would be unable to trademark an electronic slate named Slate.

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I think everyone is still poking around in the dark.

I'm not surprised that Ballmer showed the HP Tablet at CES and declared it the HP Slate.

Probably a Big up your Wazoo to Steve Jobs just in case it was going to be the iSlate. I don't think Apple wants to jump into the waters with a diluted brand name since about 5 or 6 of the manufacturers at CES where calling theirs a slate.

11. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I really think it should be called the iSlate. I just think it works. We have to remember that iPhone seemed a bit on the too simple to be true side.

Many people are already calling it the iSlate, so you don't really want to mess with that public imagine of it either.

12. thagomizer macrumors 6502

In much the same way that Microsoft was unable to trademark a graphical OS named Windows. ;)

13. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I've postulated they will find a way to incorporate iPod into the name. Maybe even MacPod...the best of the Mac and iPod in one. Actually that's kind of ugly sounding. Maybe slab something? Or stone...sarsen...lithos... I dunno, I just am not a huge fan of iSlate, maybe it'll grow on me.

14. Buzz Bumble Guest

Apple owns a ton of domain names that they don't use and never intend to use, just like the ton of patents they file every year and never use for anything.

As for the name of the tablet .. why not just go with "Newton XL" or "Newton2"? ;)

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Is late

isolate

I thought this thread has been done?

16. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

They'll call it... iPod tablet. :p or iPod Giant. or iPod Slate. :D

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They'll call it iPhone house phone for your House.

19. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

20. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

I'm surprised that no one brought up the name "iPad" because I believe Apple also holds the copyright to that name.

Don't laugh--the name actually makes sense, even though it's very closely related to the iPod name. And it rolls off the tongue a lot better than "iSlate."

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sounds too much like a feminine hygiene product!

22. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I would still buy if it was called the iSlate, but iThink it's a stupid name. They should go with MacTablet or AppleTablet. They would never go with something as complex as iSlate (not saying it's all that complex). They always go simple and elegant, iSlate just sound rough and unappealing. I'm excited regardless :apple:

23. brendu macrumors 68020

i hope the call it the newton... but since they seem to want the term Mac in all their computers... it could be the MacSlate, MacPad, TabletMac, or most likely, a name NONE of us have thought of like Steve's old favorite: MacMan...

24. Buzz Bumble Guest

The tablet isn't a Mac, so it won't have "Mac" in the name anywhere. Most people already agree that it will be running a modified version of the iPhone / iPod Touch OS, rather than the full Mac OS. It's not a tablet PC, it's an "ebook reader with Internet abilities", just like the iPhone is an "iPod with phone abilities". :)

If you want a tablet Mac, you will have to buy one of those modified MacBook devices (ModBook?).