Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I was thinking about how unlikely the netbook really is. Think about how much that would under cut the macbook air. I just do not see apple taking away profit from one of there top selling computer, and one that is revolutionary at that. I believe that if any thing happens there will be a change to the macbook air making it even smaller and cheaper, but to me that is even a long shot. Tell me what y'all think.

Your first sentence is a topic worth debating.

But your second sentence only shows the most ignorant type of statement I have seen here in 8 years under 3 user names on Macrumors.

WTF?

Sometimes people come in here and make a statement wanting to hold Apple back because it will "cannibalize" a current product. Hey buddy, should we just trash it all and go back to the Mac Classic? What about going back to the abacus? ;)

Does Apple Inc. stop at OS 10.2 (a great product which I have on one of my old Macs) and not work on OS 10.3/4/5/6 thinking it will cut into the sales of the former?

Technology moves forward and there is overlap in what the hardware, and software can do.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Do you have anything to substantiate this?

Actually the top selling product of Apple Inc is the F-22 fighter, and now that you know this, we will have to post your used underwear on Facebook or here...Really!

Oops, that's already been done. ;)

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Call it whatever you like, I see an Apple "netbook" a reality by the end of 2009. Already rumors flying of the order for 10" screens etc... To think a device like this would take away from a MB or the MBA market is baffling to me. That someone can't see how this would basically be what Scottsdale said, an entertainment device, an internet media tablet that people would buy in addition to a MB/MBP/MBA. The price point of the MBA vs this will not even be in the same ballpark and if this "netbook" is anything power wise like the competition it won't replace a fully functioning MB that people use as their main computer.

Check out the 7" Archos devices, there's a bit of a cult following for what they call an IMT (internet media tablet). They sell in the $600/700 range and if it had decent software it's a rather slick device. I tried out the A7,their newest device a while back and it's a great touch screen interface, although a bit slow and buggy. Video playback was great, screen was very clear, bright and the HDD was 320gig on the one I tested. It would be perfect for someone to watch a movie on a plane trip vs opening up their laptop. Students would love the portability of it for school and the size making it fit in your pocket/backpack vs having to buy a separate bag specific for it.

Downfall of this device was the fact after spending $700 bucks on it they milked you for $20 bucks for a HD codec, $100 bucks for a docking station and so on. To match what most Netbooks do now you would spend over $1000 bucks on this setup. All in all if Apple has watched the netbook market evolve, they will take it to the next level imo, no only in form factor but in power, OS and interface.

I have hoped for something like the Archos 7 or what I hope Apple builds so when I decide to lay down and relax I can bring up Hulu or Netflix, watch a show/movie without having to open up my laptop. All I need is a screen, and a "iTablet" would be awesome for doing just that.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
10" portable touch Apple TV? Whatever it is I doubt it will be in the iphone/itouch line of products. Having the app store and it's apps on a larger device is a pretty silly idea. I could see it having an instant on OS, maybe. A paired down version of OSX?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
This is why Apple can't afford to miss market opportunities. I worked at DEC from 1977 to 2003. Once the 2nd largest computer company in the world after IBM (the largest). In the late 70's and into the 80's some of the products I got to work on were cutting edge, leading the pack stuff. Early etherenet, vaxclusters, switches (patents), fault tolerant computing, and later in the 90's the first 64 bit processor (alpha). How about a 36 bit pc that ran tops20 around 1981? That was the front end for a 36 bit failed computer called jupiter. My manager designed that. Tried to turn it into a product but DEC said no, so it died.

DEC never imbraced the PC. Oh they design some, but their heart wasn't in it. They never saw that market. That wasn't the only thing that killed them but it was the start of a series of miscalculations. You need to be competitive in the marketplace and let the customer decide which products are successes and which are not.

The Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Equipment_Corporation

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
My bet is it won't be a netbook as we currently know them, it'll effectively be a 10" screen iPod touch running mobile OS X 3.0, maybe with a couple of USB ports (but probably not, my bet is it'll just have a unified headphone/mic jack like the Touch).

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
:apple:It will not run full OSX it will be like the iphone with an app type store and Safari as the only browser. Anyone who wants choice will stick with the MBA.
It will probley have an Atom type proccesor people who want power go with the Air. Typing on a touchscreen keyboard gets old even if portable people want something real. The will coeexist fine!:apple:

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
My bet is it won't be a netbook as we currently know them, it'll effectively be a 10" screen iPod touch running mobile OS X 3.0, maybe with a couple of USB ports (but probably not, my bet is it'll just have a unified headphone/mic jack like the Touch).

You nailed it. I'd just add that this device will have a built-in HSDPA modem for "anywhere" Internet connectivity.. It will be more of a competitor to Kindle II, rather than MBA.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
My bet is it won't be a netbook as we currently know them,
Bingo.

it'll effectively be a 10" screen iPod touch running mobile OS X 3.0, maybe with a couple of USB ports (but probably not, my bet is it'll just have a unified headphone/mic jack like the Touch).
I'd like to add mobile iLife/iWork and more features in the iPhone OS. For the ports I'd say headphone, USB (only 1), and mini-DisplayPort.

I'd just add that this device will have a built-in HSDPA modem for "anywhere" Internet connectivity..
Would that require a contract?

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Your first sentence is a topic worth debating.

Sometimes people come in here and make a statement that Apple will hold back because it will "cannibalize" a current product. Hey buddy, should we just trash it all and go back to the Mac Classic? What about going back to the abacus? ;)

Does Apple Inc. stop at OS 10.2 (a great product which I have on one of my old Macs) and not work on OS 10.3/4/5/6 thinking it will cut into the sales of the former?

Technology moves forward and there is overlap in what the hardware, and software can do.

EXACTLY.

To state the retarded logic another way: People continually say product 'x' is not going to be released by Apple because it will cut into current product 'y'. If that was true ... Apple would NEVER release a new product, for fear it would make their 'current' products look bad.

kinkster

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2008
Apple isn't going to make some weird dead end, in-between device with no specific purpose.

WiseMax

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Why do people buy an MBA?... Why do people by NetPC?...

You will anwer with your own. I'll answer with mine. Purpose is: in my motivation, could a Net PC ever be compared with the MBA?...

I am now in the 2nd MB Air, the first one had too many problems, the main ones being about overheating, bad fan gone out, stupid turning off processor cores.

Great things about the MB Air version 1:

Screen - oh yeah! I love it! There is not a single product on the market with that weight (1.3 Kgs.) and that gorgeous screen!... 13 inch is just the ticket for confortable computing. Any less and after 2 hours, your vision gets tired (even if you do not notice it!).

Light & Thin - you get the screen and you don't get the bulk. Sweet.

Beautiful design. No explanation for this, it just got me.

"Promised" (but not delivered) computing power.

That's why I bought the MBA.

Now:

Why am I buying the MBA, Rev. 2?...

- It solves some of the speed and overheating problems. Reviews from Users report that core shutdown has been now avoided by throtling and therefore stuttering is in principle gone.

- Much better (but not so brilliant) NVidia graphics adapter, instead of Intel's lame one.

- Basic features untouched! Screen and body size remain the same. Beauty & design as great as can be.

What am I NOT liking in this revision?...

Arrrgh!.... Instead of a screen, I get a mirror!.... The same complain I have about my MacBook Pro 15" :(

Still only one USB port....

In summary, the MacBook Air has 3 characteristics, present in both versions, that compelled me to buy it:

- Design

- Non-encumberance (light & thin)

- Generous screen size.

After I bought it, I grew to love and place as very important one other feature: the retro-iluminated keyboard, with some tactile feed and good size. Now it's going to be harder to live with all those other dull and "dark" keyboards...

The current revision is still great in the same areas and adds better performance (I even bought the beefier processor & SSD, so even more of that). Unfortunatelly it also adds an unwanted mirror... but you can't have everything, apparently....

Now let's talk about Net PC.

First, the screen is way smaller: Intel has imposed a limit of 1024x600 pixels with the Atom processor.

I bought the MBA because the screen had a bigger size than that - maybe people that buy MBA's or 128x800 MacBooks will not even consider going to THAT.

I also bought the MBA because of style. I can't think of a style for a Netbook where purpose & design will fit as well as in the MBA - who buys an MBA is really not wanting something so small that it becomes painful.

And, believe me, a single-core Atom is not too shabby (I have 2 of those Net PCs, a microscopic thing - the ASUS R50A - and a 10-incher, the MSI Wind) - but it will never compete with the MBA's Core 2 Duo.

For all the above reasons and maybe a few more, I can't see the hypothetical Apple NetPC taking clients away from the MBA (eventually, some from the lowest MB, but only marginally).

WiseMax

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
Nope. That little ASUS is a kind of mini-desktop, like a skinny, tuned-down iMac. And it is still a 1024x600 pixels screen.

We're talking portables here, I think.

Going back to a supposed NetMac, as I said, it won't take anybody away from the the MBA (but probably yes, from the lower MacBook versions). No harm, it's all in the house and still bringing in new customers.

The NetMac makes all the sense... if Apple can cope with the 1024x600 limitation - that was Intel's imposition, I think to avoid the cannibalization of the lower end Centrinos. Because, believe me, the Atom is quite capable on its own to cannibalize anything in the lower end of things, if not hindered by that "smart" move from Intel, about the screnn size (the size of the PC's screen, not the size of, for example, an external monitor, that can go up to 1280x800 or even more).

celticgrid

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Has Apple used the word "netbook"? Seems to me there's a probable order for 10" touch screens and not much more yet. What the screens will be used in is still anyone's guess.

Here's mine...

Anyone remember the Simpad? Now, give me an Apple version of that, with touch screen, at a good price point, then I'm buying!

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
The new/revised MacBook Air would not compete on the same level as a consumer tablet communication/media device. While the original MBA could not perform well, the revised MBA has proven to be very capable of being a primary Mac for most Mac users. The revised MBA fills the need and power/performance of a Mac in true portable form.

Go Apple!

While I get your very happy with your Rev B MBA, "most" Apple users would NOT be happy with the MBA. It's for a very specific user, not most. I know you love your MBA and think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but saying it fills most users needs is just wrong. I've used it, it's not all things to all people. The machine feels fast because of the SSD, not due to processor speed. I watched enough HD video and tried to stream video, use my slingbox etc.. to know it has it limitations. It is by no means for everyone, it is great for business users that need a machine for business uses.

@OP

To the topic of netbooks, I think some sort of netbook/tablet will show up by the end of the 2009. I don't think Apple is stupid enough to overlook a market segment that is currently growing at a fair rate while the rest of the computer industry is losing marketshare. I personally would enjoy seeing a tablet type of media device. Hopefully with enough power for streaming HD video as that seems to be the breaking point for many netbooks. My nephew works at Best Buy and says the netbook line of products has the highest return rate of any computers they sell due to people being unhappy with performance. They think it will replace their desktop or some other laptop. I hope Apple steps up and changes the game once again and were all sitting here in October thinking "NOW THAT IS A COOL NETBOOK" :D

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
While I get your very happy with your Rev B MBA, "most" Apple users would NOT be happy with the MBA. It's for a very specific user, not most. I know you love your MBA and think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but saying it fills most users needs is just wrong. I've used it, it's not all things to all people. The machine feels fast because of the SSD, not due to processor speed. I watched enough HD video and tried to stream video, use my slingbox etc.. to know it has it limitations. It is by no means for everyone, it is great for business users that need a machine for business uses.

@OP

To the topic of netbooks, I think some sort of netbook/tablet will show up by the end of the 2009. I don't think Apple is stupid enough to overlook a market segment that is currently growing at a fair rate while the rest of the computer industry is losing marketshare. I personally would enjoy seeing a tablet type of media device. Hopefully with enough power for streaming HD video as that seems to be the breaking point for many netbooks. My nephew works at Best Buy and says the netbook line of products has the highest return rate of any computers they sell due to people being unhappy with performance. They think it will replace their desktop or some other laptop. I hope Apple steps up and changes the game once again and were all sitting here in October thinking "NOW THAT IS A COOL NETBOOK" :D

The point was to clarify that the end of the MBA is NOT NEAR, as the CONSUMER oriented MacTouch type device (that some say is like a netbook) is NOT a competitor to the MBA.

Some people will never be happy in life. I feel bad for those people... How about understand the context and NOT be so worried about a point of a difference between a TRUE MAC and an iPhone type of tablet device that will probably NOT run full Mac OS X just like the iPhone OS.

If it makes you feel that good to bash people, you're at the right site.
ENJOY
:D

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
The point was to clarify that the end of the MBA is NOT NEAR, as the CONSUMER oriented MacTouch type device (that some say is like a netbook) is NOT a competitor to the MBA.

Some people will never be happy in life. I feel bad for those people... How about understand the context and NOT be so worried about a point of a difference between a TRUE MAC and an iPhone type of tablet device that will probably NOT run full Mac OS X just like the iPhone OS.

If it makes you feel that good to bash people, you're at the right site.
ENJOY
:D

umm.. and where am I stating in my post that the MBA is near it's end? Holy defensivness... I was merely quoting part of your post about the MBA user base. You stated the MBA was more power etc... than "most" users need. I simply pointed out a different opinion on that topic.

So no, I didn't miss your point, i was only addressing one part of your statement. The MBA will likely be around for a long time and it's a good machine for those people that it fits and fills their needs. I like the fact their will be a netbook or tablet product to fill a need for people that have say a MBP and then a device such as a tablet for portability for viewing video and "netbook" type tasks without paying $2500 bucks to do so.

Bashing? really.... I'm somehow bashing you because i don't see thing like you do? So me saying you think the MBA is better then sliced bread is bashing? that's about the only thing I see that would even be remotely taken in that manner. It was simply a background for every post on the board I've seen you defend the MBA as if you built it with your bare hands ffs lighten up already lol wow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.