Why I blame at&t OR the software

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rye9, Jul 16, 2010.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

Okay, well here in my house, we have an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.0.1 and an iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0.0.

The software update, in my understanding, more accurately depicts signal strength in the respect that the 5th bar now covers a whole lot less range... leaving the lower bars relatively the same. (judging by a recent graphic on the rumor site)

Now, when the iPhone 3G was updated from iPhone OS 3.x.x to iOS 4.0, it was around then I feel that a drop in signal occurred. I used to have full bars, then only reported a consistent 3 or 4, if lucky. Judging by this, I feel that perhaps this was a coincidence and maybe for some reason the At&t coverage in my area took a drop. My friend on Spring also noted a month ago or so he began receiving a much weaker signal, so maybe the towers in my area for everyone are screwing up for some reason.

If the towers are not the case, though.. then I have no choice but to blame the iOS software, not the iPhone antenna. As SJ put it today a few hours ago, ALL phones suffer from signal attenuation and I fully support that. But the fact that the iPhone 3G started reporting lower bars BEFORE the iOS 4.0.1 update (which theoretically will give people a less 'optimistic' reading) makes me wonder if the iOS 4.x.x software right now itself is hurting signal, but I feel if this were a widespread issue then Apple would know about the software being buggy right now, which leads me to believe my coverage just took a beating for some reason because I don't feel many reported worse signal strength after the iOS 4.0.0 update.

So I don't know how to make sense of this... I really think that the new software is causing the issues and for the experimental reasons I listed above, and that the iPhone 4 itself only has the major issue of the proximity sensor flaw.

Thoughts?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Yeah - how about the idea that the iPhone, compared to other cell phones also has a weaker radio. Also a distinct possibility.

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

ios 3- connects you to the closest tower, ios 4 connects you to the tower with the least traffic.

4. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

That could very well be it, then. I still wish there would be less dropped calls. I can live with a weaker signal if it's connecting to a more distant tower, but having more dropped calls is bothersome. Or at least better call quality (see this video for what I specifically mean regarding the antenna's correlation to quality.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Complete nonsense.

The phone has no control over which "tower" it connects to. The network decides that.

If it was this simple, Apple would have implemented such a fix.

This possibility has been tossed around for over three weeks, but now that Apple has clearly spoken on the issue and not used this fix, I think we can say it's not possible.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Wrong. Apple made a few changes to iOS 4. This is one of them.