Why I bought a MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Argon4k, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Argon4k macrumors member

I just ordered a white MacBook 2.4GHz instead of the MacBook Air. I was seriously considering the MacBook Air but decided on the MacBook for a few reasons. I should note that I currently have a 15" PowerBook (as my laptop, I also have a 24" aluminum iMac).

First, the price. I didn't want to spend the extra money right now on the MacBook Air, especially since you get more features for less with the MacBook and the weight isn't a factor for me. Nor is the size, for that matter.

Second, the MacBook Air is a first generation product. While the MacBook Air forum has been filled with mostly positive reviews, I have noticed a few issues popping up. Of course the MacBook has issues as well, but I figure I'll wait for the second generation at least.

Third, I needed it rather quickly. I've seen people reporting that their shipping dates have been pushed back at least once, if not more, and unfortunately I need it rather soon.

Next, the battery life. The MacBook Air gets up to 5 hours of wireless productivity and the MacBook gets 4.5 hours of wireless productivity. I know that if you turn down the brightness this is usually extended and I plan on turning it down a bit. Both the MacBook Air and the MacBook have similar battery lives, at least according to the Apple website and because of this, I'm alright with the MacBook.

All in all, I'm very happy with my decision. While I would have liked to have gotten a MacBook Air, now is simply not the right time for me.

I'm very excited to receive my new MacBook and it should be here hopefully by Friday!

2. AuburnTiger macrumors member

I'm sure the Macbook Air is quite small and easy to handle, but the Macbook's size surprised me too (I've had my new Macbook for about a week). After using a iBook G3, then an iBook G4 which I used for over 3 years, when I opened up my new Macbook is was significantly smaller and lighter than my iBook G4.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Congrats on your purchase and I hope your macbook serves you well. I have a macbook that I got last may and I have been loving it since.

ChrisN

4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

smart purchase.

other than the fact that you want the latest and greatest, there is absolutely no way one can justify his or her MBA purchase over the macbook.

lets see, for $500 more you get a slower processor, one USB port, smaller HD, and no optical drive.

oh, what was that? its 2.243889 lbs lighter? you need to to hit the gym son....fast.

its got some of them swirly-twirly "advanced multitouch" features you say? the little chip that generates the multi-touch costs apple $2.95 per notebook.

enjoy your macbook.

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

The MBA is cooler. There.

6. gothamm macrumors 6502a

these $500 in my pocket are cooler.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you must have been coming from a 14" ibook, because i had the opposite reaction. when i got my white macbook a year and some ago, i was surprised by how large the macbook's footprint was. i compared it to my friend's 15" powerbook, and it was surprisingly similar.

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

What if $500 means almost nothing to you?

People overlook the fact that things that may be more impractical than something else often are still sought out and purchased happily.

9. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I recently purchased a Black MacBook 2.2 and threw 4gb ram into it. It's a great machine, reasonably light, compact, fast, solid, a real workhorse. The only thing I would have liked is the backlit keys that the MBP.
    Having said that, the MBA is VERY sexy...when/if it gets a faster processer and larger storage I'd be very tempted to get one.
    Vanilla

10. slybeans macrumors member

11. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Congrats on your decision. By the way, your signature says that your new MB is 2.5Ghz, I believe it is supposed to read 2.4. Anyway, enjoy.

12. Argon4k thread starter macrumors member

Must have been a typo. It's corrected now, thanks!

13. Argon4k thread starter macrumors member

My MacBook arrived yesterday and I love it. I now understand everyone's comments with regards to the viewing angle but it's actually not that bad. I haven't yet transferred my files onto it but I will soon.

For having only used it for a very short time so far, I'm very impressed and very happy with my purchase.

14. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I've had mine for three days, my first Mac, and very impressed. Hooked up my HP Deskjet 450 to it, (it's been sitting un-powered/idle for 8 months) not only did the printer work (like it's been in service all along) but my Mac Book, found it,installed it, and even put an exact picture of it in the task bar. I didn't have to tell it what it was, where it was, what driver it had/needed, in short it just works:rolleyes:;),buh-buy PC!:D:apple:
    Apple, it's the little things that impresses!

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I wanted to pull a "Sony PS3" and future-proof my MacBook purchase. So, I put 4 Gigs RAM and a 320 hard disk in it - both impossible right now on a MacBook Air.

The Air is more a "light-note" where you're not using it for everything. More for "light" users (hee, hee...) or users with a desktop as well...

16. Pacer69 macrumors member

It's pretty obvious that this was a tough decision for you and maybe you still have a few lingering reservations (naturally)...but I am also shopping new MBs / MBPs right now...and I think you made a good call. For your stated needs, you would feel compromised with the MBA. Go with your gut, you cannot go wrong! Kudos on your decision and I hope you enjoy your new ride!

17. Argon4k thread starter macrumors member

Indeed this was a very tough decision for me to make. You are also correct that I have some lingering reservations about purchasing my MacBook over the MacBook Air, but no regrets. I think it was a great decision and certainly one that I will not regret. I am more than satisfied with both my decision and my MacBook.

18. trip1ex macrumors 68000

I hope you like it. I got a refurb black MB the other day and I didn't like the screen so I returned it. I might have been spoiled by my iMac and seeing the MBA screen in the store. I am considering the MBA now, but as much as I like it, it is a lot more $$$.