Why I bought it and why I'm keeping it...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jelloyacket, Oct 6, 2007.

1. jelloyacket macrumors member

Reasons why I bought my 16GB iPt:
    • I have a Mac, so how cool would I not be if I bought a Zune?
    • I've been wanting an iPod for a while.
    • My work has security policies that say I can't have a camera, so that meant no iPhone for me.
    • I have 12.5 GB of music, so the 8 GB wouldn't let me have all of it with me.
    • I like the touch screen interface a LOT better than the clickwheel.
    • I play bass at my church, and the ITMS is really handy when nobody at practice has the song we're practicing on their iPod.
    • I've got free wi-fi at the two airports I use the most and free wi-fi at places I hang out a lot.
    • I can watch The Office at the office.

Now that I've got it, and have started getting into the iPod style of doing things, I've decided that I love it. The touch screen interface is amazing; I love the feel and I love the function. I like being able to set up my sync options for all the different media types. I do need to do a little more work with my iTunes music library, especially with playlists. But I find that it works great for me. Also, it's got more style than I'll ever have and overall it feels solid (lots of battery and glass packed in there).

Of course, I've got gripes (which I've sent to Apple already):
    • If it's marketed as a top-line iPod, don't take out features that you can get on a $149 nano (notes, disk mode, songs as alarms).
    • Calendar is read-only. Make it so I can edit/add items. And add a snooze option on the alarms.
    • Have there be an option in the Photo sync tab to use full-size photos (don't "optimize" them).
    • Allow local web/document viewing (this would work with disk mode).
    • Code in some smart motions on the touchscreen, sort of like shorthand for your fingers.
    • Add a copy/paste button to some of the screens (especially in Safari). To copy, hold the button with one finger while you highlight text with the other finger. Then to paste, place the cursor and click the button.
    • Add Flash support. I know that a lot of Flash sites suck, but there are a lot of sites that use Flash for their main functionality (Strongbad Emails, anyone?).

(As a side note, I used the Target deal, got a week 37 with Corinne Bailey Rae on the front, but my screen was fine, even before applying the update.)

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Good post - I'm sure a lot of potential buyers will enjoy reading it.

3. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

4. jelloyacket thread starter macrumors member

Forgot to mention that seeing a Mail app would be nice, too. However, I don't find myself wanting local email too much; if I keep my Entourage calendar and my contacts up to date, that would cover 90% of the times I've wanted local email (somebody emails me a phone number or a "practice-is-at-6" and I don't remember to update stuff).

I'm almost wishing that I had waited for a 32 GB model, as I can't quite sync all my music and photos and still have room for a couple movies. But then that's probably a year away, and by golly I wanted something now :)

5. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Yeah! Woo!

6. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

just so you know i tested my alarm 10 seconds ago and mine has snooze function anyhow, so as not to put off you potential buyers too much :D

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

You can watch The Office at the office.

NICE reason. :D

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Speaking of missing iPod functions, we also REALLY need song lyrics too.

There's a great workaround for local document viewing-

http://www.insanelygreattees.com/news/?p=51

You can view anything that Safari supports- DOC, TXT, PDF, Excel, HMTL, images, etc. What's also nice is that bookmark folders are a great way of organizing these documents.

With this feature, I actually don't care if Apple adds another way of doing it. I actually doubt they will, because they don't seem to be keen on allowing file system access (Finder) to the user. To some extent I understand this, as they want to keep the UI nice and elegant.

9. jelloyacket thread starter macrumors member

My bad on the alarm. I should have clarified, I was talking about the reminders for Calendar events. I know that the "alarm" function in the clock app has snooze.

Also, I wouldn't think we'd need to have Finder access to view documents. Apple could make a special "documents" folder that is nice and pretty without nitty gritty things like file extensions or hierarchal structure.