Why I buy applecare even the new +

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lamarak, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I been reading in various areas in here and other forums that applecare is a waste of money. Ive owned 4 iphones from the 2g to this one and never have had to replace it. But I always have had applecare for all them. The biggest reason I do is because I do renew my iphone every year. Reselling an Iphone is so much easier when can put that its covered by applecare. I can usually get a higher price in my area cause people know the phone they are buying has this.

I dont really look at as if its cost effective to buy versus what it costs versus repair. My insurance pays me if I lose my iphone or its stolen.

My point of the post is that if you like getting the new iphone every year the applecare will help increase its resell value. I got 525 for my iphone 4 this year through craigslist and was told by the buyer the big reason was the applecare I had on it.

2. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Right. It's not worth it unless you get $99 more for it.

An iPhone will sell, whether it has applecare or not.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

I'm betting Applecare+ could improve the selling price by $99. The fact that whoever purchases it can get a new refurbished phone from Apple for $50 seems like a very good selling point.

5. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

agreed.

6. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

It doesn't. Just like A 32GB phone doesn't sell for $100 more than a 16GB.

7. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

I got 525 cash with no ebay or paypal fees or no worry of being ripped off by a chargeback on a paypal account. Yes i got more almost 75 average over what others where selling thier Iphones in my area. Then I also had the luxuery of the extended techinical support and my phone was covered for the year I had the phone so I used up some of that apple care.

And it was only 69 dollars, this is first year of 99. Time will tell if its worth it when I sell next year. It just helps to make your phone standout versus the others.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

It does if I drop it a few times. I'm not one to keep my phone in pristine condition like some people. Heck I dropped my iPhone 4 in a cup of water last week (still works great). And don't get me started on scratches on the screen. The fact that I can tell the buyer they get a new phone for $50 I would think would increase my resale value considerably.
    Though I'll admit I don't have any experience selling phones. I do got a couple I'm trying to sell now, so I might learn something.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Haven't there been issues transferring Applecare?

Does the new Applecare+ cover accidental drops? Cracked screens? Water damage? What's not covered? Loss or theft?

10. Lamarak thread starter macrumors 6502

No issues at all from my expierence. It can transfer to a new buyer, done it officially on the last two iphones I sold.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I will buy Applecare+ for my iPhone 4S for two reasons:

1) The first was my experience with the 3GS - I didn't bother with Applecare. I kept it in pristine condition, and all was good... until sometime in July, just a few months ago. My iPhone suddenly went dead. I didn't do anything wrong nor did I drop it or put it even remotely near water. I just had it in my pocket and it somehow overheated, despite me being in an air-conditioned building all day. My iPhone's baseband was somehow damaged, and that's it. Dead iPhone, just a few months away from the iPhone 4S!

Took it to an Apple Store, they refused repair unless I paid $200, which I definitely didn't want to do. I took it to another Apple Store, hoping to get a better result. The genius there took pity on me and offered to mark it down as a failed battery and gave me a replacement for $80.

Boy did I wish I had AppleCare then!

2) And the second, because of the +. I love the idea of being able to replace my damaged iPhone for $50 down the road if I need to, and all the while still getting support and free replacements for defective parts like we've always had with AppleCare. That means, when the two years comes up and it's time to upgrade, I don't have to worry about keeping my iPhone in pristine condition. If it's banged up, I could take it in, swap it for $50, and sell it for what it's worth in like-new condition.

All for $99 (plus a possible $50). That's a winner in my eyes.