Why I can't find with Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chameleon81, Apr 15, 2008.

1. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Hi,

My biggest problem in MAC is the Finder, ( I also may add Office :) )

1- If I want to upload - attach- a file on gmail, i click the the button and go to the directory. I want list the files according the size or modify date etc but I can not. That window where I choose which file to attach does not allow me to click right button.

2. Let's say I downloaded a zip file. I go the download folder and list the files according the modify date. I see the file on the top corner. Then I unzip the file and list the files again but unzipped version is not being listed according the modify date.

Can anyone offer a help?

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Sounds like you may want to set your downloads folder defaults to list view, with sort by date modified (or possible created). Leopard will remember the setting if you click (via "get info) to always open in list view.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can view by modified date when you use the "classic" dialog instead of the column view, or use the search field in the pop-up.

Actually, your zip file preserves the modify date of the date the zip file was created, the files were not changed, so they still appear at that point in time. I suggest, while you still have the zip file highlighted, switch to organize by name, then your unzipped folder should be on one side or the other of the zip file.

TEG

4. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for advices but,

Using search is not always possible since I do not remember the file name every time. But I remember that the file was one of latest downloads, pictures etc.

With zip file I realized that it keeps last modification date of the zipped file but for me it does not make sense. maybe it has its own use , i dont know.

I believe finder needs some improvements . ( I dont need comments like "go back to windows " )

For instance vista has tags which I found very useful. To group my documents for different lectures.

Or to get info about a doc pressing cmd i takes too much time. ( If there is another method please help me )

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The only reason you will receive comments like "Go Back To Windows" is when a recent switcher (I presume you are) refers constantly back to how great the Windows way is rather than offer helpful and "NEW" suggestions to improve the Mac OS. If it's terribly important for you to work the "Windows Way" then when you post comments and tell people this you have opened yourself to be told to go back to Windows and honestly it makes sense because you have closed yourself to work only that way.
    I apologize if this came to you harsh but if you are gonna switch then switch or report to Apple on their website ways to improve the OS which we be a good thing to do.

6. macffooky macrumors regular

The irritation occurs when someone new to OS X pipes up in these forums with "why can't I do xyz ?" It's more often than not something that will never have occurred to accustomed users as we'll usually have started whatever process it is from another angle, simply because we're used to the way things work.

It's rather like trying to impose the syntax from one language on another; you get halfway through a sentence and then discover that you've attempted to use a construction that leaves that sentence unable to be finished and you have to start it again from a different point.

What's truly annoying is the implication that we must all be mad or blinded to the nonexistence of Steve's new clothes because we can't see how obvious and vital whatever missing feature in OS X is. When I'm using XP or Ubuntu I don't spend the whole time cursing their non-OS Xness, I just get on with finding out how to accomplish whatever it is I want to do.

I think a lot of times the attitude of longtime Windows users comes across as being that Windows IS computing and that everything else is some new kid on the block that could be OK if it just realised how things ought to be done.

And it's Mac for God's sake, not MAC ;)

7. chameleon81 thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought my Imac like 8 months ago and I dont complain a lot. ( spotlight ,expose and active corners are my favorites )

Different from you or from other apple bigoteds, the things I care about is efficiency and speed. There is no windows or mac way but there is "getting things easily and fast" way in my life. So I dont give bug if it is windows or mac . If someone comes with a more brilliant idea I ll leave both ( win& mac) and start using the new one.

I'm a consumer not an advocate. My brain is not here to get hypnotized by marketers.

If finding the last document I edited in a massive folder takes me minutes when I want just to attach it to my gmail, I have the right to complain.

Plus, on my first message I wasn't complaining I asked if there are methods I do not know.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

there are lots of unhelpful posters here; don't get dragged into arguments with them. on this particular issue...

...try the spacebar for quicklook. It's not as detailed as apple-i, but it's something.

and on this issue...

...once you hit 'get info', you can add text in the comments box that will show up under spotlight searches.

9. alFR macrumors 68020

Click "attach file" in Gmail. Find the file you want in an ordinary finder window ordered however you like (or a spotlight search, or whatever), drag and drop it to the "choose file" button, file will be attached.

That's because the modify date used for the sort is the date when the original file was last modified before it was zipped, as noted previously. Because zipping is an archive/compression process, not a modification of the zipped files themselves, this makes sense (at least to me). As a workaround, maybe keep your downloads folder as a temporary resting place for downloads then file them elsewhere if you want to keep them longer? That would make it easy to find the unzipped files in the downloads folder/stack.

If hitting cmd-i for a file to get info takes too long (although I can't really understand why, it's only 2 keypresses and takes under a second for me) then try using column view in finder: the rightmost column will display info for the selected file and you can arrow-key up and down the list of files in the column to the left of that to see different files in turn.