Why I ditched Winterboard and Dreamboard?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by JZTech101, May 13, 2012.

1. JZTech101 macrumors member

JZTech101

So, you have nice home screen that looks Supercool! But how much of your time is spent on the home screen? Lockscreen? Adding on to the fact that the number of apps that actually support the "complete" themes is very few. This is why Apple Refuses to add theming to its device. It makes no sense. All it does is slow down your device. Think about it, would you rather have a nice speedy device? Or a slow 'cool' looking device? Sure you can show off to your friends, but in the end, its functionality over aesthetics.

2. iKrackie macrumors member

DreamBoard is poop. I will agree to that.
    However, all I use Winterboard for is having a transparent dock/lockscreen, and changing the sounds of my device. I'm on an iPhone 4S and I idle around 300 MB.

3. HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

For the most part, I completely agree with the OP. I dumped WinterBoard a while back and I immediately noticed the difference (no more lag in settings menu, increased RAM, less lag between certain screens, etc)....not to mention all of the storage that these mega-themes were taking up on my device.

If I was a teenager, I might feel differently. But I'm too old to care about what my phone's icons look like or if it matches the wallpaper. Been there, done that.

I just use stock icons now and it's not like I spend all day "staring" at my home-screen to even notice or care how it looks like or how it's assembled.

4. JZTech101 thread starter macrumors member

JZTech101

True, but it seems that when I installed winterboard and winterboard ONLY, 30MBs of my RAM disappeared..... Not to mention my heavy duty applications crashing. (Asphalt 6, Real Racing, etc).

5. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I'm using Winterboard (a complete theme.. Glasklart) so all of my icons are themed. I also get around ~280 or 290 MB of RAM idle. None of my heavy duty applications crash (including Infinity Blade and the like.) I forget who it was that said it, but free RAM is wasted RAM. Who cares if you have 30 MB extra at start up? What good is that really going to do for you if you value each and every bit of free RAM..

6. NanoNyrd macrumors regular

I ditched Winterboard because it slowed down the springboard annoyingly. Then I heard that the newest version had that problem solved (if SummerBoard compatibility is disabled), and tried it again. True enough, the slowdown is gone. I probably eats a bit of RAM, but nothing troublesome. I only theme the lockscreen.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I never bother with themes or such mods either.
    I stick to the basics and items I need and use on the regural.
    The more stuff you install the better the chances you might have conflicts or issues in general.

8. JZTech101 thread starter macrumors member

JZTech101

The less ram you have, the more your applications will crash

9. twigman08 macrumors 6502

I don't really understand themes either. I think the look and feel of iOS is just fine really and only needs a few changes on the way it looks. Other than it is just some tweaks that I download that I enjoy. I don't jailbreak for themes, I jailbreak for tweaks.

If you want some tweaks that will change the way your iPhone looks a little bit, then use Springtomize.

10. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I can do a reboot and start with 355mb without winter board and with winter board and fully themed after reboot I start up with 349. What's 6mb? I have not noticed any lag using winter board and am even using summer board… Maybe you installed a tweak that doesn't play well with winter board? But as long as you enjoy what you have that should be all that matters. ;)

11. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

I stop jailbreaking last year :( got tired of updating jb devices and i do miss a lot of tweaks but not winteboard

12. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I don't think I've ever noticed lag with WinterBoard. Except with moving lock screen themes.

13. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

If people want to theme than let them. Just because you and some other people in this thread like it stock doesn't mean that you can tell people Springtomize is the only way out (I use that too, but it's not meant for theming it's meant for other things.)

14. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

Springtomize is good for theming the dock, icon labels and stuff like that. For UI theming and icons, I use WinterBoard - it's just too useful. After the recent update, it's been fantastic. Zippy as anything.

I can play heavy-duty games like Chaos Rings II and Crow without lag or crashing (only my 3G used to crash) and I usually idle at around 280 - 310MB. That's enough for me to be happy :)

15. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I theme heavy sometimes and sometimes run stock appearance. Performance hit under Winterboard is negligible. I have my reasons for theming- to each their own. Dreamboard blows tho..:)

16. ivinz Suspended

Yes Dreamboard certainly slows down your device but Winterboard is perfect for me

17. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

this just sounds like a thread trying to rationalize why your phone lags.

But cool

18. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I agree with the OP as far as themes/lag goes but you know what? I still do it because of the mindset/mood/feel I get when I open the phone.

Ever go outside and it's an overcast day that you've been waiting for? (Here in New Mexico it never rains, so maybe for you guys it's the sunny/snowy day you've been waiting for). It makes your day feel nice, relaxed, or different in a good way. That's how different themes make me feel. So I love it!! I do change up at least once a month. Seems like a new phone every time I change. :D

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

In the end it's subjective -- just as it has always been. Don't confuse "you" with "I".

20. twigman08 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but it seems you may have read my post wrong, or maybe I should had reworded it. I don't believe I said anywhere that no one should ever be into themes. I just stated my opinion on iOS and how I feel I see no need to theme. Please enlighten me on where I said that you should never theme?

I just said that if you are interested in just changing the way iOS looks a little bit then Springtomize is prolly the way to go. I don't see where I said that you should never theme ever and all that?

21. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

I have Winterboard, notice little to no lag and no issues with RAM while idle..

22. JZTech101 thread starter macrumors member

JZTech101

Yeah everything is fine idle. But for me, it's a lot of Lag when working/playing

23. iKrackie macrumors member

Would you mind compiling a list of tweaks you have installed?

24. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

This is a subjective, editorialized scenario that really does not affect the majority of iPhone users. It's true that some people have trouble with Winterboard/Theming but others don't and to make sweeping generalizations like this one is just a poor way to give ill advice.

25. nwmtnbiker, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Sure. I am using z|ui 2012 with all add-ons.

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-4-n...-ui-alternative-sometimes-less-more-free.html

From Cydia Installed:

Activator/SBSettings, Appinfo, Barrel, biteSMS, Bytafont with 3 fonts, Color Keyboard, fsWipeCache, Gridlock, iFile, OpenSSH, PhoneCloser, Shrink, SoftwareUpdateKiller, WeeKillBackgroundPro, WeeSpeedial for noti and of course Winterboard.

Attached Files: