Why I don't like Craigslist...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by slsl0, Jun 16, 2010.

1. slsl0 macrumors member

So I'm trying to sell my iPhone 3g since I'm getting the iPhone 4 and so far all the emails I've gotten are scams, I figured I'd post this one because it's especially pathetic.

2. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Got this one today... lol

Good day,
    I am happy to hear that its still available.. As for the price I am
    okay with it but if there is any other information regarding the
    condition please let me know by email...I would take care of the
    shipping myself by sending my shipper to come for the pickup.
    Let me have some pictures send to me by attachment and also the pick
    up address of the item. Payment would be made via money order only
    so I would have your full name and mailing address and phone number to
    mail it out to as follows:
    Full Names:
    Address:
    City:
    State:
    Zip Code:
    Phone number:
    The money order will come in excess funds and when the check is
    being cashed,you will send the remaining balance to the shipping
    company that will come for the pickup

3. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

4. slsl0 thread starter macrumors member

Haha yep, I got another one earlier almost exactly like that. He wanted me to remove the add immediately so as to avoid stress and he said he would chip in an extra $50 because he needed it that badly, then he would have his shippers come pick it up...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed,
    I have a couple items, like my MBP up for sale on craigslist. The only people contacting me are scammers. Folks who are willing to over pay me for the product, but then use paypal, or a bank check.

Then there's the people who low ball you so much that its not worth selling it. In my laptop's case, getting offers of only several hundred of dollars. I don't need to sell it, but I want to offset the cost of my new computer build I just did. I'm about ready to pull the sale because its not worth the hassle, especially since I'm not getting any authentic, viable offers.

6. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I get those too, but like to mess with them, saying I am headed to their area in two days. Never hear from them again.

I hate when I put texts from my listings. I will usually list it, put my number (no home phone) and I get a text saying if 1/2 the price would be ok, they have cash! As if I was going to trade it for beads or an IOU.

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Good idea. :)

But so what are the options? eBay selling got pretty expensive, and Craigslist is apparently full of scammers....

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I had my last iMac up for about 3 weeks before I finally got a legitimate buyer.
    Everyone low balled me at half my asking price forever. I just wrote them back not even in their dreams.

Another option I was going to do if I couldn't find a legit buyer was go through powermax - they were a few hundred under my asking price, but way more than the low-ballers.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I just love this thread. Hey OP, maybe you could make this a daily feature. Tomorrow we could get your thoughts on eBay, Monday eBay Classifieds, Tuesday could be Amazon. The possibilities are endless.

10. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Cl

I have actually had pretty dang good experiences with craigslist.

I have sold a few pieces of camera gear and did not get one single scam email like that. As far as I could tell, every response was from a genuinely interested human. Maybe its because it is camera gear, or where I live, I don't know.

11. phas3 macrumors 65816

the adult classified isn't as good as it used to be ever since they took down erotic services lol

12. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

ditto...wonder how many hits these guys get w/ such epic grammar? :rolleyes:

13. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I be used Craigslist to buy my: iPod touch, iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, and then traded that 3G for a 3GS, all with no hassle. Except for one time I tried to meet up with a guy who had an iPhone for sale. He had told me he worked at Best Buy and would meet me on his lunch break. I had his name and number, so when he didn't show and stood me up, I asked the manager if there was an employee that matched the description. The manager must have felt bad for me because he told me would be letting the employee go next week for his attitude, among other things. I got voicemails from the sorry ass guy after he got fired:)