Why I don't like Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kayut, Jul 8, 2011.

1. kayut, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

kayut macrumors member

Small problems with huge effect:

1. There is no possibility in Mac to change the font size, system wide.
    2. Track pad doesn’t have a button for right click.
    3. You can’t cut a file and paste it somewhere else. Cut n Paste (move) in Lion
    4. If you want to save a file you can’t choose the subfolder which you want.
    5. If you set the view option to Icon, you can only see a short form of the long file names.
    6. By picture view you can’t navigate from one picture to the other using the arrow keys on your keyboard.

Shame!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

An alternative thread title would be "I don't like Mac because I haven't taken the time to learn how it works!"

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

Almost every item on your list has been discussed at length in existing forum threads.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Those are all pretty laughable, especially #2 and #4. Are you still using 10.2 and a PowerBook?

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

as GGJ stated ... you need to learn more about Macs before you make those statements ... I predict you will love the Mac after you learn how to use it.

5. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

2. Does too. Learn how.
    4. Um why not? Works just the same as it does in Windows. Pretty sure no one would use OS X if you couldn't do something that simple.

Better do some reading and give it a second go.

6. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Exactly i can do all of those things, the most annoying is the right click uh my god just turn it on in settings.:mad:

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

1. Accessibility Prefs
    2. yes it does
    3. mmm, kind of have a point
    4. Click the damn triangle next the name box!
    5. Don't really know what you mean
    6. You're doing it wrong! One word: Quicklook.

8. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

A very wise man once said

"please educate yourself ...
    Steve"

Was around one year ago ... Different topic too; Can't find the source right now.

But seriously: please read the user Guide coming with your Mac, read the net and maybe even ask us before listing those those minor points and say: shame.
    That way you just increase eWaste.

9. ThE.MeSsEnGeR, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011

ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

first, why don't you tell us how much time have you invested in learning how to work on it? I've been on my MacBook for over 3 years now, and I'm STILL finding out about stuff and functionalities that make my experience even easier!

I'm gonna try and help you out as much as I can, and trust me, if you invest just a small fraction of your time and do some research (say, google?) instead of nagging, you'll actually find what you're looking for!

1. No idea on this one, but I guess there should be a plug-in somewhere that helps you out.
    2. go to System Preferences -> Trackpad, and from there you can activate the "tap to click" and "tap with two fingers to right-click" you'll get used to it, it's really smooth
    3. that is my ONE and ONLY, I REPEAT, my one and only complaint about Mac OS.
    [correction]: Mac OS Lion now has that functionality ;)
    4. yes you can. when you're prompted to save a file, there's a small triangle on the right that's facing down, click it and it opens up to choose a folder.
    5. actually it's cleaner this way, so that when you have icons with long names it doesn't take out a few icons below it... you want to see long names? switch to Detail view.
    6. and yes you can. if you're seeing them through "quick look", that is when you press the space bar when you're on an icon, you can navigate with the tab and shift-tab for the next and previous files.

there you have it. I hope it helps. and please, please, PLEASE: don't freak out on your first mac and give it some time to grow on you, trust me, it'll be all worth it!

10. kayut thread starter macrumors member

Ok, by number 4 you are right.

Yes, you can activate the right click using "Tap to Click" but I need a proper button for right click on my Track pad.

What about number 1 and 3 ??

There is definitely no way to set the font size system wide, which is a common feature on Windows.

@Dr Kevorkian94,
    If you say, you can do all of those things, then please let me know how can you cut a file from a folder and paste it in to another folder!!!!

11. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

why ? What's wrong in using the right side of the mouse pad instead the left side. Works well enough for me

And regarding you file cut&paste: just drag'n drop the file ... Click it with the mouse, drag it where you want and release the mouse ... Done ...

12. kayut thread starter macrumors member

Wow, so many answers!!

Ok guys, thanks for your answers especially who try to show me the right way to do that instead of blaming me.

1. No, there is no way to do so.
    2. Tap to click is fine, but when I work with PhotoShop or InDesign I need a proper button for right click.
    3. Unbelievable.
    4. Shame on me!! :)
    5. But in some folders I want icon view and want to be able to see the full name of the file.
    6. Thanks. I try that.

13. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

14. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I'm glad you're starting to look "outside the box". if you depend a lot on PhotoShop and InDesign, I would suggest you invest some money (not necessarily a big amount) on a normal USB/Bluetooth Mouse. It gives you more freedom and wider space range to work. and no, I'm not talking about Magic Mouse, because that's basically a hyped up version of the trackpad. Just get a 20$ Logitech Mouse, you'll use it a lot ;)

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You would have gotten different responses if your thread title was something like "New to Mac... need help with some basic questions" and if you simply asked for the answers, instead of blaming Mac and making false statements about Mac capabilities.

16. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can click. Just push the trackpad. If you've set it up right, you can click in the bottom right for a right-click (and still drag if necessary) and anywhere else for a left-click.

And I agree that a less inflammatory title would be much better for you next time.

jW

17. kayut thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks for this hint.

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW Finder in Lion finally implements it even though it still doesn't make sense from a desktop metaphor POV. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1105963

B

19. Jagardn, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011

Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Your post did not say "How do I do these things?", you just started slamming everything. :rolleyes:

20. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

oh, and btw, I totally forgot about this when I wrote my first answer... Mac OS Lion now has Cut/Paste... so you can scratch #3 from your list too ;)

21. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

Just use the walkthroughs on the internet for changing fonts, copy/paste and UI changes. You can change nearly every UI element using the terminal. You can change the fonts settings with Tinkertool. All Cocoa applications will use the settings you set here.

You can add cut/paste launching Terminal and entering:

defaults write com.apple.finder AllowCutForItems 1

Next you'll have to add a shortcut for cut in Finder:

Go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts
    You'll see a window consisting of two columns. In the bottom of the right column, you'll see a '-' and '+' icon. Click on the +.
    Next, select in the upper selection tab the Finder application (it's in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app). For the menu title you chose Cut
    KeyBoard Shortcut could be command+X (for example)

BTW dragging does the same. To me it's as convenient as cut/copy.

The last, I don't know the answer for it, because I don't care for it. I'm sure you'll find an answer as long as you search MR or Google for it.

22. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

this doesn't seem to work, because pressing command+x now sends the file to the trash :confused:

23. kayut thread starter macrumors member

Best news ever.

I will. :)

24. BayouTiger macrumors 6502

BayouTiger

I also use a Logitech mouse at the office. but I will likely replace it with a Magic Mouse at some point. When I am using it, many times I miss the simplicity and the silky smooth scrolling. Once you get used to the multi touch gestures, going back to "regular" mousing kinda sucks.

There are definitely little tweaks that each OS has over the other, there's still things in Windows, especially Win7 that I like a lot, but it's the overall experience that matters. If you give it a chance and try different things, you might find better ways to do things. There have been many times when I got new software and complained that it was no better than what I was using, but found that was because I was still trying to do things the same way, when the program offered a much newer better way to go. I think there is a lot of that that goes on for all of us (look at FCPX!)

25. snberk103 macrumors 603

#5 - Long names and icons....

To my mind, showing the full file name and the icon would be a regression. If I want to see what the name of a file is, I choose List or Columns. If I want to see a visual representation of a file, I choose Icon view. If I'm looking at icons, I want to see as many as possible in order to compare them, and making more room available for long names would mean seeing fewer icons per page.

However, you can get long file names and icons at the same time. Use Cover Flow view. Icons at the top, and long file names in a List view.

So you can cross #5 off your list as well.

For those who don't get the "long file name" limitation - your files names aren't long enough. Try something like " 2011 06 22 June TRES & TRGY Board Minutes, Draft 3 - to be distributed. "

cheers