Why I don't want to buy a MBP - Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Aug 11, 2007.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

When the new iMacs came out, I had to try and decide between portability and a cool new desktop. I think in my mind portability won. My ONLY reason for not purchasing a new MBP is that I feel like a redesign and refresh is right around the corner.

I had a powerbook years and years ago. From a glance, nothing has changed in the style of the MBP in who knows how long. This leads me to think that there will be a HUGE redesign in the near future and possibly quad core laptops. Jan???

Tell me I'm an idiot for holding off because of this redesign. Please.

2. weckart macrumors 68040

Why do you think a redesign will necessarily be for the better? Look what they did to the iMac.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

The MBP's just had an update 2 months ago...they won't be updated for a while. I highly doubt a major revamp as you say. They can't really get much smaller (not considering a possible 12 inch). There have been changes since powerbooks. Better trackpad, built in isight, led backlit screens, fw800, thinner, lighter, magsafe, expresscard(for better or worse). I say get one now if you need it. I was deciding between my MBP and a Mac Pro. Looking back, I choose correctly, the portability is great. Over summer it's good for lounging in a recliner watching tv, during school it will be great to be able to take with my. Very satisfied with this revision of MBP.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

.....:D

The MBP just got a refresh. I wouldn't expect one of a while.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Live for today. If you're happy with how a machine performs (and looks) today, and you're happy with the price then buy it.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I couldn't agree more. Plus, in my mind, I'd much rather have the last revision as opposed to the rev. A, just for reasons that I'll feel I have the best there was to have... but I'd still take a rev. A if possible, but if my MBP became the last of its kind, I'd be happy. I do recommend you buy now, just so you have it and can be happy.

7. roker macrumors regular

roker

Best quote ever

8. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Everyone says this, but how long has Apple used the same aluminum encasing in the exact same body? I want to say it has been over 5 years. Something major has to be just around the corner.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And as stated above, different does not = better.
    Maybe, maybe not. It does = newer.

The tension to buy or wait is always there... bottom line, if you need it, you buy, if you can wait and have no compelling reason to buy, then wait. The MBP is in a good point on it's cycle (see Buyer's Guide). If you buy, you get the benefit of having it and using it, but there will always be updates. If you wait, you get the update, but you don't get to be using it and enjoying it now.

Only you can tip the balance on that. Enjoy...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I don't see why you believe that the mbp must get a new exterior design soon. It still looks good and functions well, so what's the need to change it? Unless you actually dislike the current mbp design, you have no reason to wait for your purchase. Now is a great time to buy, esspecially if you are a student.

11. cbell86 macrumors newbie

In the most recent keynote, Mr. Jobs discusses apple's move to high quality aluminum. The macbook pro already features this, and is extremely elegant / minimal, very much in line with the new imac. If a redesign WERE to happen, i doubt anything major would occur. He mentions how well the entire pro series is doing, and how responsive/pleased consumers are with it. This definitely supports there not being a refresh, or, if there is one, an extremely minor one. The MBP is already aluminum and extremely elegant/minimal. Because mac pros are in need of a refresh, however, i can see those changing, simply because of the odd curves at its top/bottom which i dont feel mesh as well as the new iMac / MBP.

12. kumbaya macrumors regular

i'm with you on the desire for a new design for mbp. i'm just plain bored with the current look. can you imagine a bmw with the same look for 5 years?!! :eek:

<3 carbon fibre!

however, sj made it more than very clear that the pro look and practically everything look is going to be about aluminium and glass

::sighs::

13. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Buy now. There is not going to be an upgrade until at least January, probably longer.

Technology will always be getting better. You just have to jump at some stage. As soon as we get quad core laptops, we'll probably be on the verge of "cluster GPUs" and after that, 8, 16 core notebooks, then super-multicore C/GPUs. Hafnium Penryns. Trigates. Carbon superconducting Nanotubes. Quantum acceleration. It just goes on and on.

Yes, computers next year will be much better, and if you buy now, you won't be able to justify upgrading again. But think of this. If you buy next year, can you justify upgrading in say 2010? If you buy now, it seems perfectly reasonable to upgrade in say 2010, and of course, those computers will be leaps and bounds ahead of next year's machines.

Buy Now.