Why I find an "iPad mini" appealing

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
My sister got a 3rd Generation iPad a few days ago, and I have been helping her set it up as well as mess around with it myself. I really like the concept.

Web browsing, working with calendar, light word processing, email and other light tasks on a bigger screen than my iPhone 4S is actually enjoyable/easier. Especially being able to do it all without pulling out my laptop.

However, I think the current generation iPad is too big. Being 6 foot 4 inches tall, I inherently have large hands, and even with those, typing on the damn thing is down right more difficult than it should be. A 7-inch iPad on the other hand sounds like it would be perfect in the hands for two-thumb typing. I can't imagine what people with tiny hands think about typing on the iPad. Holding it with one hand and pecking with one finger from the other hand seems silly to me.

Maybe I'm just not.. holding it right.™ How do you guys type on the 10-inch iPad, excluding using an external keyboard of course.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
My sister got a 3rd Generation iPad a few days ago, and I have been helping her set it up as well as mess around with it myself. I really like the concept.

Web browsing, working with calendar, light word processing, email and other light tasks on a bigger screen than my iPhone 4S is actually enjoyable/easier. Especially being able to do it all without pulling out my laptop.

However, I think the current generation iPad is too big. Being 6 foot 4 inches tall, I inherently have large hands, and even with those, typing on the damn thing is down right more difficult than it should be. A 7-inch iPad on the other hand sounds like it would be perfect in the hands for two-thumb typing. I can't imagine what people with tiny hands think about typing on the iPad. Holding it with one hand and pecking with one finger from the other hand seems silly to me.

Maybe I'm just not.. holding it right.™ How do you guys type on the 10-inch iPad, excluding using an external keyboard of course.
I don't think I type with it that much. (he says as he types on his iPad). The iPad for me needs to be its current size as I use it for Flickr browsing. If it was another 2 inches bigger I think I'd love it even more.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I don't think I type with it that much. (he says as he types on his iPad). The iPad for me needs to be its current size as I use it for Flickr browsing. If it was another 2 inches bigger I think I'd love it even more.
It is a great size for viewing pictures, I'll agree with that. I guess we all have our individual needs and stuff.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
Split keyboard for thumb typing, which is generally when I’m holding the device in portrait.

Full landscape keyboard for typing on a table/desk if I’m writing a lot.

Full portrait keyboard for one-handed typing if I’m on the phone.

JTStarkiller

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
It looks appealing to me because I want it almost solely for ComiXology. I'd love a 9.7" screen, but the Mini seems like the right price point for what I want to do with it. Plus, it's even more travel-friendly, even if the regular is already.

kyellowness

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
I think it depends on the price. If it's close to the $199 price range, then yeah but if it's like $100 cheaper than the iPad, screw it, I'm getting the bigger screen. :p

Mainsail

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2010
I think the current iPad was designed to compete with netbooks for email, web, simple word processing, photos and the like. As it as turned out, the apps have allowed users to do even more than expected (photo editing, movies, books, finance, etc). For me, the current size is perfect for its purpose, and I really don't need a laptop.....sometimes, I go months without touching the family computer.

However, some folks might be looking for a different type of device. I think the kindle, nexus, and nook do have a place. They are not so much a netbook replacement as they are a super e-reader. A lot of folks like the idea of just such a device......so, not necessarily my cup of tea.....but, I can see the potential market. My wife would probably love one.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
II tried my roommate's Galaxy Tab 7 tablet my whole hand can hold 7 inches tab just fine and use my other hand for typing with fingers but I didn't like Android OS anyway. :apple: