Why I forsee iOS 5 GM in August.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Saberon, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Saberon, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

Saberon macrumors 6502a

Here's my thinking.

Never in the history of iOS, has a single firmware version undergone more than 4 beta versions.

iOS 4 GM came out June 9th for developers, but wasn't released to the public until June 21st even though it was absolutely identical to the GM that came out on the 9th. That's 12 days later.

iOS 5 B1 came June 6
    iOS 5 B2 came 18 days later
    iOS 5 B3 came 18 days after that
    iOS 5 B4 came 11 days after that on July 22nd

I think it's pretty fair to say the iPhone 5 will at *least* be revealed if not released in early September at the annual iPod event. We also know that iOS 5 is planned for "this fall". I can't forsee the launch of iPhone 5 with iOS 4.

Typically Beta 4 to GM is longer than any other gap in the beta schedule. Let's say...21 days as a rough guess. That's August 12th. That puts September 1st, 20 days away (which is when the event was held in 2010) as a potential date of the Public Release of iOS 5.

It's also entirely possible (and hopefully highly unlikely) we'll see a Beta 5 on August 9, 18 days after Beta 4. And then a GM release at the September event and then a public release 2 weeks after that.

Just my thoughts, thanks for reading and let me know what you think will happen.

2. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I like your logic and hope you are right. But this has been a year of changing the routine for apple. No iPhone in the summer

3. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's why I'm worried it will be a GM release at the Sept event rather than the public release. This is an off-year for Apple and nothing would surprise me that much!

4. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

was iOS4 released before the iPhone 4 last year by a week or 2? could be a similar situation this year, iPod event> iOS5 GM > iOS5 Release > iPhone 5

5. shandyman Suspended

wasn't beta 4 14 days after beta 3? Thought they were both on a friday.

i'm fairly certain there will be a beta 5 for a few reasons, to fix the bugs with the OTA updating, to fix bugs with wifi syncing for windows, also various other bugs around. I feel that it needs to have beta 5 as beta 4 is still quite buggy for a GM to come after it.

Also i doubt we will get public release at the event, usually it's GM at public event, then final release.

6. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

It makes sense...

I think they will release iOS5 during the iphone 5 announcement. Once it is released then they will start testing the new beta iOS 5 for the iphone 5's features..

7. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

I DO hope that you're wrong.

Exchange support is still horrible. Let me explain.

2 users: Executive and Assistant (EA).
    *Both have iPads.
    * Executive only has 1 Exchange account setup.
    * EA has both setup
    * EA has full author permissions to manage calendar and invites.
    * EA receives invite - in Mail/Calendar in her account CANNOT accept the invite.
    - she can however deny the invite.
    - Invites show as auto accepted in Executive's calendar.
    *EA sees the Executives' invite (invites to the executive, not her) as tentative (as it should be). This invite shows HER being the invitee - this is incorrect and hence causes the error that she cannot accept the appointment.
    * in 4.3.3/.4/.5 neither can properly accept the appointment.
    * in iOS 5 Beta 4 THIS SAME ISSUE occurs - EVEN if I REMOVE the Executives' exchange account settings (disabled or purged entirely). Only in Beta 4 can the executive account actually accept the invite which is pointless since it's auto accepted.
    * More the point Outlook 2007 (all SP's up to date) does NOT auto accept the appointment for either E, or E.A.
    * BOTH have the SAME Alias as their logon ID in AD & in Exchange.
    * Exchange Server 2007 SP2 with ActiveSync enabled.

Tier 3 with Apple doesn't have a solution yet they've worked hard in the past 2 weeks with 4 calls. Enterprise Support is $6xx dollars JUST for them to hear the issue. Ridiculous to be honest - both teams should have access to the same solutions base; especially with Apple pushing for enterprise support. I know my boss will approve for this support but its tough to swallow. I'd rather learn to code for my first application than deal with this.

PS: PlayBook is a joke. Android seems to have the same issues everywhere I read.

8. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's hoping exchange support is better between B4 and GM then :D

9. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

While I do believe we will see GM in August for sure, I wouldn't be so sure that we will not see another beta.

I am running b4 on three different phones and I don't believe they are ready to go to GM quite yet. I think most likely it will be b5 then GM.

10. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

There will be a beta 5 and possibly 6.
    Beta 4 is extremely buggy.

11. Saberon thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can see 5, but 6 is stretching it a bit far.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

lets not forget that a lot of the changes in iOS5 are massive compared to the other releases, and as such, i'd expect it to take a bit longer to work all the bugs out. i'd rather it take longer and be done right, than come out with bugs.

at least for the sake of our sanity here on the forums.

13. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I'm sick of the buggy beta's. I want my GM now. I'm tired of my phone doing random **** because it's on a beta.

I wish I was a rich developer and could afford more than one handset. Must be nice.

14. Bobby Corwen, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I dont think any information can be derived from the parallels between this beta and previous betas on the grounds that this is such a cataclysmic event.

For example, when World of Warcraft Cataclysm came out, everything changed and transformed.

I don't really see a need to separate releases of phone and os right? It kinda goes together.

June, July, August = Summer

September, October, November = Fall

So an August iOS 5 release is not really technically fall anyway. Probably both the releases will happen early (1st half) september just days apart.

15. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

From careful and scientific research I deduce from the above post that you're 12. The betas are not for you.