Why I hate 3.1.3 ...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by veo321, Mar 6, 2010.

1. veo321 macrumors regular

veo321

Ok So I don't know if everyone did this, but of course when an iPhone OS Update comes along I get geeked up and download it even if I don't benefit. As I did over the past month I have experienced many issues including the following:
    -Cydia is Slow and Crashes (it takes 3 minutes to load)
    -Apps don't install properly
    -Themes don't install properly
    -Springboard crashes at least 3 times a day
    -NO AUDIO at times without headphones in 3rd party apps
    -problems making calls
    -iPhone has issues with some docks
    -Many apps crash (not only cydia apps)
    -Volume controls don't work at times

I don't want to sit around for an hour waiting for it to restore, but looks like I have to. Wow Apple thanks for screwing my $500 phone. :mad:

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    My audio doesn't work either in apps - just discovered it now when I tried to use Fast Track Mandarin!

Wonder what else doesn't work.. going to play around with it...

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

Well this is why!

I never upgrade my Firmware unless the Dev-team tells me too! ;) Like a good boy! seriously both the Dev-team and Geohot have said not to bother with 3.1.3 (that's good enough for me!)

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm not disagreeing with Labman; upgrading to 3.1.3 is pretty foolish. But I would point out that correlation does not equal causation. My guess is that your problems are far more related to upgrading than they are to 3.1.3 (which, after all, was a very minor update which should not have causes any of the problems you mention).

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

i agree, there are some big underlying issues causing all those problems.

6. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

3.1.3 works good for me, of course I'm running stock OS.

7. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I like tinkering and even though they said it wasn't worth it, I still just updated to a pwned 3.1.3. Guess what: There's no effing difference between the two firmwares (3.1.2 and 3.1.3). Any issues you are having are, as dhlizard so succinctly put it, underlying from before.

I would understand if you were having these issues from the 2.2.1 to 3.0 move, but anything else is just your phone taking a crap on you

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Actually, this isn't Apples fault at all. Apple provided firmware which runs just as intended and works well, but with many restrictions as we know.

You have altered the firmware therefore all these problems are the result of modifications you made, not Apple.

I also choose to jailbreak for the added functionality, but am not foolish enough to believe that Apple is responsible if the modifications I make cause problems.

As stated, 3.1.3 works quite well if not modified as evidenced by this post.

9. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Your issue and solution is in your first sentence. Don't get geeked up.

Some people will slam this but I will pass this along anyway.

Large well funded IT departments have the luxury of testing updates against Line of Busniess cirtical apps and some non critical apps but are widely used. They test in the lab using the same equipment that the company has purchased. We as consumers are not going to buy multiple devices and test every app. Therefore I use J. Q. Public as my test bed. I never run and install any update just because it’s out there. I let the noobs who don’t know any better and think that they must update as soon as its available.

Before I update I read what the update is about . Then I follow a simple process
    1: What does this update address and what does it buy me?
    If this update buys me nothing – skip update
    2: If this update addresses an issue or gives me I feature I feel I want/need
    Search the net, see if there any problems. There will always be some noobs who rush in, its human nature.
    If update appears OK - get update

Since updating to 3.0 when it came out, I have not done a single update until January to 3.12. Beside one security issue, none of the updates between 3.0 to 3.12 had anything I need nor did it address any issue I was having. My iPhone worked they way I wanted so I did not bother.

If you want a laugh, look at the us.playstation3.com forum in the section PS3 Updates section. You will see what I am talking about. Whether the claims made there are true or not I have no idea.
    One thing I want to make clear is I am not saying Apple ever put out a flakey iPhone update. But I personally would still follow steps one and two whether I was jailbroken or not.

10. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Lol, I don't know why you'd think people would slam you for it. What you said actually made sense. Now only if the rest of the world would follow your approach, we might actually find a utopian society (well, not really)

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

sinsin07

1000+ I agree 100% I also check in with the Dev-team as soon as I read that it wasn't worth the update trouble I was out. Even Apple shows this update to be minor! I am sure there are a few undisclosed tweeks but according to Apple this update fixes.

* improves accuracy of reported battery level on iPhone 3GS (my battery reporting seems fine)
    * resolves issue where 3rd party apps would not launch in some instances (my apps are working fine)
    * fixes bug that may cause an app to crash when using the Japanese Kana keyboard (don't need Japanese Kana keyboard) :rolleyes:

So I saw no reason to update!

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

no way we need those jump the gun people ;) they make us look good! :p

13. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Ahh, yeah, I guess those ones show us all the issues in the updates first. Duh, sorry, I wasn't thinking :confused:

14. veo321 thread starter macrumors regular

veo321

erg.....

I think I will restore my iPhone tmrw... thats going to take a couple hours -_- I wish my macbook was faster...

15. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

is the current Pwnage jailbrake working fine for 3.1.3 ?

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

You screwed it up. Should of done some research but some of you guys have no patience.