Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquidsilver

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
My 6 month old MBP has had the logic board replaced twice under the standard warranty. I plan on getting AC after the 1 year warranty is up. Just take care of you MB, and you shouldn't have worries of Apple voiding your AC.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
There are plenty of things the forum could solve:
Battery Problems
Video Card errors
SuperDrive Failures
MagSafe adaptors breaking
and most importantly, Tallest Skil and I can fix any Logic Board problem by telling you that you should get about $600 out of the bank and head over to your local Apple Store.

If you plan on keeping your computer more then a year, you should seriously consider it or consider the consequences above.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Is the difference between your final sale price and the cost of a new machine *less* than that of the Applecare plan or close to it? Just curious, I thought about doing that.

I worked the numbers out a couple years ago, you pay a couple hundred more going this route, but you always have a new machine, new warranty and new technology. You're at an advantage if you can get in on the Summer university deals (sell the iPod, get the rebate and apply it to the cost of the computer).

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
If your MBP is your workhorse machine then get Applecare. Don't rely on CC extended warranties or the community when your hardware breaks down and you've got a deadline in a few days. Backup machines are essential too but i'd rather just take my machine into Apple and get it fixed on the spot knowing they have genuine OEM parts. I believe with CC type warranties you'll have to go out of pocket for the expenses and then get reimbursed if it falls under their definition (I don't know since I have registered but not used this type of service).

Plus many people have had great success getting brand new machines with AppleCare extentions after three or four repairs on their machine. I'm on my first and may bring it in for my second for bluetooth issues.

BUt if you don't do anything serious on your machine and can go a few days without it then by all means, gamble :D

akutad

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
Forums can't provide replacement parts. Also, AppleCare is MUCH cheaper than most replacement parts.

I've never owned applecare as a personal choice. I have went through 5 macbook pros and never broke down. So.... $399*5 computers=$1995.

Extended warrantees are the largest electronic profit centers. Applecare is no different than an insurance company. They have a table of probability for each product. Why are you calling the poster an idiot. Notice that insurance companies own the most beautiful and expensive parts of down town.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I never buy Apple Care at list price. IMO that is just too high to justify. However the prices on Ebay are excellent.

theJamie

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
From a tech saavy radio personality...

Buying a laptop for grads said:
A word on warranties

Nearly all machines include a one-year warranty. Your credit card company may double that. Check with the card issuer.

Manufacturers and retailers also offer extended warranties. I think these are unnecessary. Most computer problems happen early on.

From: http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=3270&page=3

That was a clip I saw on Kim Komando's site.

I have had two Toshibas which both lasted 4 years each. And both are actually still functioning, they are just ridiculously outdated. I assume Apple would be a better product and so I'll just push my luck. AppleCare is pricey compared to the standard warranty with PCs.

Liquidsilver

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2009
I never buy Apple Care at list price. IMO that is just too high to justify. However the prices on Ebay are excellent.

You get what you pay for often, and there are many that have had issues with the Ebay AC. Not all, but it is more of a gamble to purchase from Ebay than from an authorized retailer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.