Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ellaimac

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Philippines
That link is for OS9 lol. OSX automatically keeps your HDD optimized, Windows does not. ;)
maybe this is what he did:
Google "Mac Fragmentation"
See search result leading to apple.com
copies that result thinking its "reliable"
pastes link to post
sees your post and gets embarrassed
never logs in again

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Many companies are only just getting to Windows 7 now and, given how good it it, they probably won't be moving on for a long time.

Exactly, that's my company but also they rely on the windows UI that exists and to change it, means spending $$ retraining the staff and losing productivity because MS wanted make the UI's the same for tablets, phones and desktop even if the metro UI makes little sense for the desktop

So Random

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
No but from what I've read is that MS is nuking the taskbar and start menu button.

How serious of a backlash do you think this will cause?

I'm looking forward to Windows 8, though. Will be a great excuse to finally go in for a new PC.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How serious of a backlash do you think this will cause?
No as much as I hope for ;)

I doubt there will be enough wailing and gnashing of teeth to motivate MS to change but I can hope.

I won't be moving to win8 as win7 works well for me and I see no reason to upgrade, no incentive for me.

So Random

macrumors member
May 29, 2012
No as much as I hope for ;)

I doubt there will be enough wailing and gnashing of teeth to motivate MS to change but I can hope.

I won't be moving to win8 as win7 works well for me and I see no reason to upgrade, no incentive for me.

At least we'll still have Windows 7, worst case. :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
How bizarre.

Sounds like no research was done before downloading, installing and trying Windows 8, that's a rather odd approach.

What an incredible waste of time, when all one has to do is look at a few screen shots, do a little reading and it's obvious that OS X is far, far better.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
How bizarre.

Sounds like no research was done before downloading, installing and trying Windows 8, that's a rather odd approach.

What an incredible waste of time, when all one has to do is look at a few screen shots, do a little reading and it's obvious that OS X is far, far better.

OS X is far far far better? For what exactly? OSX is great, but its not for some people. I couldn't use OSX at work, because almost all the programs I use at work don't run on OSX, or don't run very well on OSX.

OSX also lacks gaming support, so again. Not for me.

I have a new iMac, and its great. But it cant do work for me, and it cant play games for me. Thats why I have a serious machine sitting right next to it at home.

So its not far far better for me lol

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
It still has the registry, dll hell, UAC, disk defragmentation, it's slow, not user friendly, buggy, resource hungry and crash happy. It's still Windows.

You almost word-for-word copied what Bertrand Serlet said at WWDC 2006. Please try to be original.

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
You almost word-for-word copied what Bertrand Serlet said at WWDC 2006. Please try to be original.

I took it as an intentional reference that people were supposed to get. Also, I think Scott Forstall said something similar at a later Apple event.

Edit: Found it (3:19PM), and no it was Bertrand Serlet again in 2009.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Those who hate Metro, admit it, you hate Flipboard, too.

I don't know what flipboard is, nor have I used it so I can't admit anything.

Regardless I'm not saying metro is bad on a tablet, but rather its a poor UI for desktops.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

Regardless I'm not saying metro is bad on a tablet, but rather its a poor UI for desktops.

Flipboard is a news aggregate app for iOS that also gabs stuff from Twitter and Facebook. I have it on my iPad and love it. It's a really great app.

As for Win8 and Metro, I've seen several video reviews of it, and it doesn't look like I'd like the Metro interface on a PC. Maybe it would be good on a tablet device though.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
I took it as an intentional reference that people were supposed to get. Also, I think Scott Forstall said something similar at a later Apple event.

Edit: Found it (3:19PM), and no it was Bertrand Serlet again in 2009.

Notice nobody at Apple has said a word about Windows 7. It'd be pretty foolish to talk smack about the best selling OS in history.

Slinkwyde

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Notice nobody at Apple has said a word about Windows 7. It'd be pretty foolish to talk smack about the best selling OS in history.

Actually, no. The thing I linked to in that post you quoted had Bertrand Serlet talking smack about Windows 7 at WWDC 2009.

Bertrand Serlet wrote said:
With Windows 7 you still have old technologies: DLLs, registry, disk defrag — no user should ever have to do that! — user account and security control, even more complexity. So that’s Win7, same old technology. Fundamentally, it’s just another version of Vista.

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTfChHwGFf0
And the original one on Vista: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9UPhwmjJ-Y

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
How so?

Agreed. I never said it couldn't.

This wasn't aimed at you, but as a preclude to someone saying something else

No, ad populum is one of the known logical fallacies and is commonly referred to as such. We learned about it and other fallacies in a philosophy class I took a few years back.

I was not referring to common intelligence that we share.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I like Windows 8. Having played around with the latest preview I think it will work great as both a desktop and tablet OS. You just stick with the UI and apps designed for each device. Using the tablet interface and apps on a desktop confuses the OS a little and I would have preferred a greater separation between the two GUIs; but it seems stable, very few bugs other than a few gfx glitches, very backwards compatible and actually uses less resources than Windows 7.

For desktop users, it probably won't be worth the upgrade since not much is done on the desktop GUI front. When the tablets roll out though, I see it being fairly big.

ellaimac

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Philippines

Flipboard is a news app that syncs with Twitter and Facebook. Search it on app store, download it, Look at the UI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.