Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
So, a couple weeks ago I bought two Power Mac G3s for $50 from some guy on craigslist. (Yes, $50 for BOTH) He said one crashed when he tried installing OS X Tiger. So what did I do? I took the hard drive out of the "bad" Mac, stuck it in the "good" one, installed OS X on the hard drive, and then stuck it back in the "bad" Mac. It couldn't have been easier. I then sold that "bad" Mac to a friend of mine for $50, which left me with another Power Mac G3 for that I had gotten for "free".

Another person on craigslist I had bought from before said he'd sell me a Power Mac G4 AND a 17-inch Apple CRT Studio display for $40. I jumped on it. And now a local computer store is going to give me $40 for the Power Mac G3.

So basically, I've worked myself up to getting a Power Mac G4 and 17-inch Apple CRT display for free. If you check craigslist daily and jump on the good deals, there's definitely money to be made in fixing up Macs and selling them!

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Definitely agree. Picked up two dual 450s for 50 each. Sold one for 150 on craigslist two weeks later in the same condition, so I got a dual 450 and 50 bucks.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I picked up an iBook a few months ago for $200, and sold it for almost $280 a couple of weeks later after I got my MB. Don't think I'll use CG again, though...too many sketchies around.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i'm always a little nervous to deal with craigslist. It seems like you have to be on it all the time, plus for a lot of things I would buy I would have to check them out first, and its nearly impossible to coordinate that. And the whole trust issue...

Those sound like great deals though, nice job!

je1ani

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
I only buy from CL.. I bought my iMac for $1690 and my SR MBP for $1500 sealed. I've never paid full price eva! :D

Bambeezer

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Dallas, TX
Craigslist is good, but it can be a pain in the a$$ sometimes.

Example:
For Sale, 5.5G 30GB white ipod. Perfect condition. No scratches. $50

Potential buyer email:
Hello, what color is the ipod? Is it the 60 or 30GB version? What is the condition? Any scratches? Will you take $5?

WTF?? I get so sick of that crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.