Why I love my 17" MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Doward, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Doward macrumors 6502a

I crashed out last night, leaving a *very* large Optical Flow Analysis running on FCPX for a video I'm doing. It's not unusual for some of these videos I do to run for a few hours.

Well, I just got up shortly ago, thinking it would be done - it's not, yet. Been churning for ~6 hours. (it's 77% complete now).

Fans are turning 5500 rpm, temp is 176F, she's been running all out overnight.

Out of curiosity, I pull up Intel's Power Gadget, and here's what my 17" MBP has been running at all night, evidently.

It's too bad that FCPX's optical analysis doesn't load more than 2 cores, though :(

Attached Files:

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm not sure you explained why you love your 17" MacBook Pro; as far as I can tell it didn't complete the job that you hope was finished after you crashed out. Also a lot of jobs take 4-days or so. So you would benefit from a faster computer with turbo modes.

Or are you saying you left it unplugged all night? Because I don't think that's possible since my 17" couldn't run something like that all night without burning out a few hours in.

3. Doward thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, just saying that I love that the 2.5Ghz runs 3.33Ghz with no issue, no thermal throttling.

Considering FCPX isn't getting over 200% CPU usage, I don't feel this would be any faster even on a 12 core Mac Pro, considering the extra cores are unused.

Hope Apple fixes that - even my Quad Core should be churning through this faster (2 unused cores)

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Hmm. So what you are saying is that you love the speed of your 17" yet a 13" rMBP with two cores will run just as fast with no throttling. OK. :confused:

5. Doward thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I'm saying I have a 2.5Ghz running @ 3.3ghz monster 17" with no thermal throttling, even when leaving it running overnight.

Do find it interesting that even plugged in, I lost 10% juice overnight. Leads me to think that maybe 85 watt PSUs aren't up to snuff, Apple ;)

6. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

I'm not sure yet.. why do you love your 17?

or am i simply too tired to sense the sarkasm?

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

But you still haven't exactly explained why you love the 17-inch. I thought there was actually going to be something different that was special to it, but you could have just said you love your MBP.