iPad mini Why I love my iPad Mini (not retina)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by madrich, Feb 12, 2014.

1. madrich, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2014

madrich macrumors regular

madrich

To make a long story short, I purchased an iPad Mini over eBay that was inadvertently listed as a Retina Display model. When I received it, the Seller adjusted his price and I agreed to keep it. I also decided that for my use, the non-Retina model suited me just fine. However, I have been reading about Retina display problems; like yellow screen displays, sand or dust under the display screen, and image retention issues. This is why I love my iPad Mini without a Retina Display because it has none of these problems.

2. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Well i have the rmini and it is flawless. There is flaw in your logic, not every ipad has those problems. Myself and many others have perfectly fine retina minis.

3. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

My rMini screen is perfectly fine as well. Enjoy your mini - retina or not, the form factor is great!

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

My rmini is flawless as well. No dust, no yellow tints, no image retention.

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The only "advantage" is a very minor decrease in size and weight, as well as a lower price.

6. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

I briefly had an original and.....nope the rmini wins. The first one actually strained my eyes a little but I can use my rmini all day. Yeah, rminis seem prone to issues but if you have a good one it's a fine device.

7. madrich thread starter macrumors regular

madrich

That's another reason why I kept it.

8. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

The lower price is the only advantage, but its the inferior iPad mini period.

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

False. I have purchased a number of iPad minis without retina display and the majority have had dust under the glass and were returned. Sand? I have never heard that one before. I also had an iPad 2 with image retention.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

But that doesn't make it a bad product.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Tried everything I could think of at various stores like increasing the contrast, altering the brightness to various settings or using auto, enabling bold text but nothing has worked. It is on sale at BB for $50 so I figured I give it another go to see if I am more comfortable with it. I will not describe it properly but the screen is just too washed out is my feeling no matter what I've tried. My original Mini I'm not fighting with so I'm keeping it instead.

Maybe someone here has some recommendations?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife loves here non retina Mini (my old mini) but I will say the display and performance of the rMini. Different strokes for different folks :D

13. Skika macrumors 68030

Or you don't notice them, which is likely, but still good for you in each case.

14. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

While I upgraded to the retina mini and am satisfied with my decision, in my opinion the original mini is still a fine device. I wouldn't have upgraded if I didn't so much time reading pdf documents where the additional resolution is very nice. The retina mini is snappier, but the original was fast enough for what I used it for.

15. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Why I love my iPad Mini (not retina)

True.

I have the mini retina and it's perfect, no issues whatsoever. Anyway, enjoy your iPad mini!

16. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Eh, I usually like to have the newest models but bought the non-retina model after the retina model was announced but a few weeks before it was released. They were offering some good deals at the time and it just wasn't worth the price increase or the wait. I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

17. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Nope not at all. I bought my gen 1 mini just over a year ago and I've been extremely pleased with it.

18. nzalog macrumors 6502

I love my comment best because it's mine. I was about to comment something else but I started typing this so I just kept it because I had already went through all the work in typing it. I see other people have better comments but they occasionally make a grammatical or spelling errors, so I have a huge advantage there. I don't care too much about what I'm saying, I'm just happy because I said it.

19. rkuo macrumors 6502a

How much money did you save by giving up 4x the speed, 4x the resolution, and twice the RAM?

20. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

If you don't notice them, then they are unnoticeable. It's a safe bet that there are no issues to notice.

My iPad mini Retina is wonderfully perfect in every way. And not because I'm failing to notice these flaws that a very small percentage of people are having. It's because mine does not have these flaws.

21. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I just bought a mini today and I had accidentally purchased a non-retina mini!

I wouldn't have mind but I wanted the Retina mini so I had access to that A7/M7 chip over the A5X