Why I love my Macbook Pro (fanboy alert)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vicious1, May 6, 2009.

1. vicious1 macrumors newbie

Right, I am usually not a fanboy, I use Apple products because they do one thing better than any other PC or Laptop or peripheral or OS (windows, linux, BeOS, OS2 you name it) I have ever used... they WORK!

Now, today For the first time I ran my Macbook Pro (Late 2008) to it's limits, I think. It became sluggish and I got annoyed until I realized what was running at the time. I opened Firefox and it took a little while the reason was that I was coping 30GB of smallish files to an external disk, indexing my outlook inbox on a Virtual Machine (using 2GB ram), test driving Windows 7 (in a virtual machine with 1GB ram) and playing a movie in Plex.
    While my machine has 6GB memory it still performed excellently because the movie never skipped and once firefox opened, it ran perfectly normal.

Just for Kicks I opened Aperture then to see what would happen and it opened fine too and worked without problems. Now this might all be smooth and silk for most users and nothing extraordinary but it has to be said that this macbook pro has dropped twice onto concrete floor from about hip height onto the same corner (go figure). So it is dented and scratched up and still works amazingly well.

So here is my official "fanboy" comment as Kudos to apple and my lovely Macbook Pro.

For those interested here are the specs:
    2.8ghz, 6GB ram, 320GB 7200rpm SATA, 512MB Video , banged up and dropped TWICE with a huge dent in the side.

2. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I'm setting up a Toshiba Satellite for someone,

It has Vista, 4 gigs of ram, and decent specs.

But it's so sluggish, I can't help but fantasize sticking it under my car's tires and running it over until it turns to dust.

"This program has tried to work, do you want to allow?"

"Yes"

"you are attempting to allow a program to work. Are you sure?"

"Yes"

"Final Answer?"

3. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

and every app I download comes with a short cut to something else, you gotta be kidding.

Update: I have removed the Google toolbar about 3 times, and it seems to be sneaking in with any app I download, nice.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know even updates to Java prompts me for a yahoo (or is it google) menu thingy for IE. Its a pain

5. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Haha i aint mad at you man. I love my macs too. We actually got married last weekend lolol

6. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

Nice specs! I love mine too, it seems to handle anything I throw at it. And why is it that when you drop something it always lands on the same spot? I dropped my 5G iPod on the same top corner like four times... It still works by the way.

LOL, I'm sorry, that sucks.;) I remember having to manually purge the toolbars processes and remove all the exe's and dll's by hand to get rid of that on an old windoze box.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No idea what stuff you guys run, but I haven't had any issues with Windows yet.

Now with OS X—browser crashes every day; computer pauses for like 10 seconds a few times a day for no freakin' reason (no SSD)... just a few of many issues.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I love my mac, and would not trade it for anything, except another mac!. I am mac all the way. I have 7 total.

I have no problems with mine, it comes to work and it can do things that the other staff can not do with there windows rigs.

9. revs macrumors regular

I have to agree that if windows is setup nicely then there it works fine (you do however have to be careful of what extra things installers try and put on the PC).

All I find with windows is that when something fails, it fails big-time!

alphaod - you've probably tried, but id suggest an archive and install of your system. something isnt right, or you are running nightly/beta versions or some dodgy plugins! Sucks when a computer wont work right, even though you know it should (and everyone keeps saying that theirs is fine!) - good luck with it!

EDIT: oh and yes I love my MBP! Best computer I have ever owned (it replaced a PowerMac G5, iBook and a Desktop PC), and look forward to a 17" one in maybe a year or so!

10. JCastro macrumors 6502a

Me too. I love it! I would rather do any work on my MBP than any computer I have at work. It just works better!

11. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

12. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Since I've never experienced anything failing big time in all my years of using a PC I'd like to know what you did that caused this failure, so that I may emulate it and experience for the first time what all those people are on about who say windows fails bigtime sometimes!

13. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

there's so much crap that can conflict in a computer with parts from different companies and software from others. It's best to let PhD engineers figure out what the optimal combo is.

I've had a good 6-8 PC's and they were all buggy. I love the macbook because it hasn't crashed once.

Actually, come to think of it, my last Dell crashed the first day I opened the box!

14. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Typical PICNIC error (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer). You should try reading what is on the screen, not just glance at it before you click "next". There is not a single application installer out there that forces you to install the Google Toolbar and not have the option not to.

15. pavenger macrumors regular

I love my baby, as creepy as it sounds, (and I know some of you do this too) I find myself stroking the outer surfaces of my wonderful Unibody MacBook Pro. It has always worked, never crashed and has not one flaw. it was well worth the some 2800 I paid for it.