Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
Excellent, thanks!! My day got off to a funny start with this email from our IT dept:

Good Morning - A new bug has been discovered in Microsoft Windows which could cause the system to be compromised by viruses. Microsoft hasn't released a security patch for this bug yet and we are constantly monitoring the situation for updates. In the meanwhile, we request that you be more security conscious in your daily activities. A couple of recommendations

1) Use Mozilla Firefox to browse the Internet instead of Microsoft Internet Explorer.
2) Don't open suspicious e-mail attachments.
3) Notify IT Services at XXXXXXXX with any abnormal system behaviors.

With all of us working together, we can mitigate this risk in our environment. Thank you.

Sincerely,
IT Services

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
virus1 said:
i always love reading about these... when will m$ get it?

When they $top making more $$$

Think M$ really care?

What was the expression again...?
O yeah: "Don't care if they bash me or promote me... as long as they spell my name right" ;)

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I was listening to a podcasted tech help radio show the other day, and a gentleman called in to ask whether it was safe for him to put a Sony-BMG CD in his desktop. The host went through a detailed explanation of how Sony put a rootkit on some of its CDs and what the implications of this were, including the security risks which could be exploited by non-Sony bad guys. After this discussion, the caller said something about his iMac, and the host switched gears and told him the whole previous conversation didn't apply to him at all. On an iMac, you just stick in the CD :).

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
amin said:
I was listening to a podcasted tech help radio show the other day, and a gentleman called in to ask whether it was safe for him to put a Sony-BMG CD in his desktop. The host went through a detailed explanation of how Sony put a rootkit on some of its CDs and what the implications of this were, including the security risks which could be exploited by non-Sony bad guys. After this discussion, the caller said something about his iMac, and the host switched gears and told him the whole previous conversation didn't apply to him at all. On an iMac, you just stick in the CD :).

not enterly true macosx can be infected as far as i know, but you have to activate it manually by using there media player or something and giving the master password to it.... now who in there right mind would give the admin password to a music cd?

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Hmmm... I had no idea Macs were open to this thread. Oh well, I don't buy CDs anymore anyhow. Thanks for the info though. I'll have to be more careful. I dread the day when I have to put antivirus software on my Powerbook :(.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
*yawn* Where are the explosions? Where are the banks shooting money out of their ATMs? Where is Monica Bellucci, who suddenly finds me mysteriously sexy? Where are the satellites crashing to earth?

Seriously -- this MS virus crap is getting old. I don't care anymore. Neither does my wife. Neither of us bother security-proofing her XP machine anymore because it's not worth the time. It never blows up, she never gets spyware (and who the **** would want to know how much we read Wikipedia, anyway?), and so far she hasn't lost her identity (might have something to do with the fact that no one would want our credit histories).

I don't care. What's the point? Seriously? What's the point? Why should I care? Why do I run GNU/Linux and OS X? Why did I spend time building a firewall? Why do I come up with real passwords instead of just typing 'xxxxxxxx'? Why don't I just log in as 'root'?

BOOOOOOOOOORING. Tell me something new, something interesting. Like, you know, that there's a Powerbook next Tuesday or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.