Why I may not buy Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yettimillan, Aug 27, 2009.

1. yettimillan macrumors regular

Hi, I have been really looking forward for SL and was going to get up early tomorrow so I could get to the Apple store upon opening.

After reading/watching all the gossip and reviews I feel that it isn't really worth getting up early for.

They say its going to have a quicker shut down. Well I don't actually see how you can get faster, my mac shuts down almost instantly. I don't run large programs, just the net and pages docs etc.

All the apps that I have are really fast anyway. After being a windows user for my whole life I am still stunned by the speed of mac apps. I have only had a mac app crash on me about twice, which again compared to windows I am stunned again.

Paying £25 for and upgrade when Im perfectly happy with the os Im using anyway???

Also I never run enough apps to need the all this extra speed things. And apparently there are a few bugs.

The only reason why I may buy it is the added security and I hope to make gaming a bit faster as one of the games I have slow down the more you build.

If this sounds like Im slating apple, then Im not, I love apple and the mac and Leopard.

What are your thoughts, thanks.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

It's cheap. It makes your computer run faster. It's setting the Mac up for the future. Just get it.

Did I mention it's cheap?

3. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

another 'im not buying snow leopard' thread...great.

4. MKCLLNS macrumors member

good points....you should wait for the 10.6.1 or .2 release then

i am buying it - and is on it's way now. I'm actually quite excited to see what it's like - and actually see the bugs - this will be my first .0 release i've installed.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

We're not going to try and convince you otherwise. If you don't see any value in Snow Leopard, then don't get it.

I'll file this thread under "flying f***, who gives a"

6. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Actually 'may not' means that I still might do.

I just want peoples opinions on it to help me with me decision.

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I'm looking forward to a faster finder, the new features that go with the finder (previewing documents), dock exposé, as well as the speed improvements. Well worth $30, if you ask me. I agree, I wouldn't get up early to go get it (that's why I pre-ordered!). I think you should just wait til 10.6.1 or 2, maybe you'll be happier then.

8. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

put your decision in the same topic thread. people are giving opinions in those threads. no need to spread them all out. your decision means the same as everyone that start a 'do not buy SL', 'i am not going to buy SL' thread. i dont see your thread any different.

just dont buy it if you have already agreed on not buying it. its really not that hard. read the reviews on the apple site and this forum. there are a lot of things that has been covered as you stated in the 1st post. if you dont find it being worth it, dont get it. easy.

9. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Lol, I still think that the finder is fast anyway....???

I suppose the another reason Im not sure about SL is because I DONT MAKE THE MOST OF MY MAC. I use a small amount of apps, usually the ones that come with the os and a couple of games. Perhaps I just don't use it enough to appreciate any speed boosts?

10. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

It could be faster. For instance, my server has a bunch of music on it and it goes to the entire house. When I use Finder to delete duplicates, it takes a few seconds to load up.

I'm also looking forward to 64-bit and GCD. I'd be all over Open CL, but my mid-'07 Mac mini has the poor-excuse-for-a-GPU GMA 950.

I was also hoping for G4 support, but that's not happening.

My mini can also take 45 seconds to go to sleep and, when I do restart, it takes too long.

11. Shiner macrumors 6502

I think you make a very good point. Many people are going to be upset with apple when they upgrade to SL and:

1) Notice no difference
    2) Some of their programs do not run as well
    3)Run into some minor bugs

Of course none of our good macrumor posters will have these issues.

It also depends on what mac computer you are upgrading.

12. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

The Cocoa Finder is worth the $29 all the way...;)

13. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Like a poster above me I would say get it but just wait, I think that expose and the new finder are totally worth it but that's just me but in the future when more programs are written with open cl in mind it will become an even better update.

14. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Dock expose seems nice, Quictime X to. And running plug-ins in sandboxes in Safari = priceless! No more crashes due to flash.

15. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh actually, I know I said I think its fast enough. I do remember when I was loading about 300 pics off of my usb it did take a while to load them all. Is this what is going to be improved?

16. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

its too cheap to think about it, just get it.
    If it is really faster, then I wonder how fast it will be using SSD!

any how, I would recommend to wait a few months because usually the first releases got problems

17. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

You actually 'file' threads?

18. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Even if the performance stays exactly the same, it's the next step, simple as that.

You'll upgrade anyways, be it tomorrow or in a month. So just buy the damn disk already ;)

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I find Finder fast too, most of the time, but anytime I access another mac over my network it's pretty slow. Also, supposedly spotlight search is improved over all apps (including finder, mail, etc).

I think a lot of people will be disappointed since it pretty much LOOKS the same. And like you, I don't use my mac that intensively either, so maybe I'll be disappointed as well.

I have a 24" white iMac 2.16 C2D...my machine is probably too old to maximally benefit from the update, anyway. I guess I'll find out!