Why I might go back to the mac.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by .Chris, Jun 15, 2008.

1. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

Well, technically I never have been on a mac. But I've used them before, so in a way I could have. I'm 18 but over nine years ago, when I was 9 years old steve jobs introduced the "imac" I fell "in love" (literary) with those old blue tubes. Since I transfered to a school who still used old Apple II systems, and my old school used the old all in one macs that were replaced by the imac, all I knew was the mac. So in the 1999/2000 school year, which would have been my 4th grade year my school upgraded the apple II to all new imacs. and like I said above, I loved them. I kept bugging my parents to get me one, and they wouldn't, so slowly after that I moved on to PCs, but ever since I gotten a small mac felling. But now, 2008, two weeks after my HS graduation, I'm ready to go back.

Long story short, laptop had many problems after the touch pad gave out last September, and company who makes it, screwed it up big time. Its in geek squad for the 4th time :mad: but lucky Its in warenty and paid off complety, but after I get it back, I'm ready to move to the mac, since I'm getting sick of PCs. (Not vista, just PCS in general)

I wont switch cold turkey though, I'll boot camp with windows, but use mac as my main OS, for my itunes, photos, video (I'm getting in to some good quality you tube video stuff) and my web suffering, basically, my fun stuff and use windows for my documents, and other some-what important stuff. I know you may say just go full blown, but I'm not quite ready yet. may be the
    OS after snow leopard I might be ready, but not now.

I'm waiting for the next revamp of the macbook pro, since the air to to advance for me, and the macbook seems a bit empty for me. I just hope they will cut the base price from 1999 to at least 1699 make it affordable to everyone.

2. bbbensen macrumors 6502

First, I really don't think that Apple would have a 1699 MacBook Pro. Its a pro machine, and not made for every one. I think that you should get a MacBook, as the only difference is screen size and graphics card.

I hope that you enjoy the switch!!!!!:)

3. .Chris thread starter macrumors 6502a

.Chris

well thats the thing

I dont like the macbook just because it fells empty. and I want more of a 15" screen

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

External monitor?

Apple's goal is NOT to have an affordable computer for everyone, if you want to get into the better hardware (ie: MBP, Mac Pro, Highend iMac) you're going to pay a hefty price.

My advice for you, is to buy a last revision used one off of ebay, that's what I usually do, the updates don't really amount to a whole lot, so it's quite a big cheaper.

But if you want the latest and greatest, you're going to pay for it. That's your decision to make.

5. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I usually buy "last years" refurb models, usually saving a lot, and if its through apple or and authorized reseller, you get a full apple warranty and ability to get Apple Care if you so choose.

Right now I am waiting for my new 20" iMac to arrive. It is last years mid level version but I got it cheaper than this years low end. Differences? Well, the newer one has a better front side bus (1066 Mhz vs 800 Mhz) but the older one has a larger HD (320GB vs 250GB) and a better Graphics card (2600 HD Pro w 256MB vs 2400 XT w 128MB). Other then that they seem to be the same over all, and I saved $100 from the "new" one, and something like $400 off the original price. I could have upgraded the new one with a larger HD to have it better match, but that adds another $50 to the price, and there is no Graphics upgrade available.

My last comp was a "low end" refurb and "lasted" me almost 6 years (after some upgrades).