Why I now love spilling liquid on Air...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Borddeleau54, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Borddeleau54 macrumors member

Well the other day I spilled part of my beer on my mid 2012 Air.
    1. I freaked out
    2. Remembered I had house insurance
    3. House insurance contract says it's covered
    4. Went to Apple store: genius guy evaluate the repairs at... $1 556 + taxes = $1 777. No joke(I live in Quebec, Canada).
    5. Send the repair bill to insurer. Insurer says too costly:" We'll give you a new one". As a matter of fact, a new 2016 Air is $1 099 + taxes.
    6. I'll get my new 2016 Air within days.
    7. Conclusion: best deal I made since a long time!

2. canuckRus, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

Hurry, buy some Lotto tickets & better save some $ for your next home insure. bill.

3. Macgyver1 macrumors member

Macgyver1

He shoots, he scores; another good reason to drink. They say some credit cards add extended warranty to purchases(imagine the round of phone calls and paperwork), likely not applicable in your instance though.

Ive purchased a Moshi keyboard cover, I figure it's cheap insurance on a light spill.

Cheers

4. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

CC's provide 90 day coverage for physical damage but warranties do not provide such, sadly.

5. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

In the USA, your insurer MAY raise rates or even cancel you, though.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

8. You pay more in your increased insurance bill than if you had just paid for the repair outright.

7. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Not with mine at least. Amica charged ~$70/year to add $5,000 computer coverage which covers drops, spills, theft, and any breakage. Policy says that a claim won't make the rates go up either.

8. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

9. ios_forever macrumors newbie

More thank likely, this. Otherwise why don't people just pour a bottle of beer over their laptop every couple years? No such thing as a free lunch OP.

10. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^And therein lies the issue. FREE LUNCH!!!!! It seems today everyone wants something for nothing. I really don't like the trend. In the end, someone, either other customers or the requestor does actually get something for nothing. But, we must realize, the someone ultimately pays, either as higher prices for goods or higher premiums for insurance or both. Companies are not in business to lose money.

Lou

11. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

That is an incredible generalization of CCs. They are all different.

One of mine extends manufacturer warranties by a year. Another will extend by a year and cover accidental damage for a year that the manufacturer wont cover. My business card covers thefts that may occur while traveling.

Again... they are all different.