Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonagain

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
Indy
I like both, but am poor right now so using SuperDuper. Will probably get CCC when I get some money coming in as I'm just more comfortable with them as a company. Please don't judge me...

• Haha
Reactions: mikzn

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks to the changes in OS Catalina - I had to wipe my APFS Encrypted CCC drives, format them as APFS (not encrypted) - back up my Mac, boot from them, enable file vault, and then resume backing up like normal. But now, when I go to eject them I can never get both partitions to eject. (HD, HD-Data).

THIS IS NOT CCC's fault, but has made using it a lot more difficult for me.

Note to those who are in this situation, you can keep your APFS encrypted disks, just backup the data partition (won't be bootable) - to not go through what I had to.

I have been using CCC for years and like it - never used SD.

I figure between having all my data on iCloud, a Time Machine drive, and 2 CCC disks, I'm good to go.

Love supporting small time developers - will look into Super duper. Can't ever have enough backups!

Reactions: Apple_Robert
Sorry to hear about your issues with CCC (a fantastic program, by the way). I guess I'm glad Shirt Pocket software is taking its time before releasing the Catalina-compatible version of SuperDuper!. Wonder if the issue you are having has been encountered by the folks at Shirt Pocket?

But a somewhat more basic question is why did you upgrade to Catalina so soon? It is well known that whenever a new version of the Mac OS is released, it contains too many bugs, and usually takes 2 or 3 updates of the OS to get rid of them. As it is, I see nothing earth shattering in Catalina to compel me to upgrade from Mojave, as Mojave is working just fine. But even if SuperDuper! was ready, I'd still have to wait to upgrade to Catalina, as MIcromat has not yet released a Catalina-compatible version of TechTool Pro, which I rely on. And based on their upgrade to a Mojave-compatible version of TechTool Pro, I suspect such a version will not be finished until next month, at the earliest, and possibly as late as January (in January 2019, that is when they released a Mojave-compatible version of TechTool Pro).

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Sorry to hear about your issues with CCC (a fantastic program, by the way). I guess I'm glad Shirt Pocket software is taking its time before releasing the Catalina-compatible version of SuperDuper!. Wonder if the issue you are having has been encountered by the folks at Shirt Pocket?

But a somewhat more basic question is why did you upgrade to Catalina so soon? It is well known that whenever a new version of the Mac OS is released, it contains too many bugs, and usually takes 2 or 3 updates of the OS to get rid of them. As it is, I see nothing earth shattering in Catalina to compel em to upgrade from Mojave, as Mojave is working just fine. But even if SuperDuper! was ready, I'd still have to wait to upgrade to Catalina, as MIcromat has not yet released a Catalina-compatible version of TechTool Pro, which I rely on. And based on their upgrade to a Mojave-compatible version of TechTool Pro, I suspect such a version will not be finished until next month, at the earliest, and possibly as late as January (in January 2019, taht is when they released a Mojave-compatible version of TechTool Pro).

I've been a Mac user since 2012 - came from Windows. Since then I've always updated as soon as the updates were available - something I love about Apple. That said, I work on Windows machines so updating right away isn't as detrimental to me as it would be for someone who works on Mac. :p

I just got SD and am in the process of backing up my Data partition to an encrypted APFS volume. (I don't care about bootable).

In the future I will be waiting, especially after the last release. :D

I can't remember the last time I "updated" to the first version of a new Mac OS. As it is, one thing that folks need to do is to insure that all their third party software is compatible with the new Mac OS. In my case, given that TechTool Pro is critical for me, it has been a few years since they had a version that was "immediately" compatible with a new version of the Mac OS.

Additionally, I also can't remember the last time when there was something "earth shattering" in the new version of the Mac OS that I had to have. And with Catalina, that is also abundantly clear (same was true for Sierra, and High Sierra). So I am both content to wait, and forced to wait (due to TechTool Pro). Mojave works just fine for me. And if Mojave is any indication, the Catalina-compatible version of TechTool Pro could be ready as late as January. By that time, OS 10.15.2 will have been released, and possibly OS 10.15.3 will be imminent. Again, I am very comfortable with all that.
[automerge]1573325838[/automerge]
I just got SD and am in the process of backing up my Data partition to an encrypted APFS volume. (I don't care about bootable).

From what I understand, only the beta release of SD is compatible with Catalina.

In the future I will be waiting, especially after the last release. :D

Wise move.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I'm on Catalina and I just competed my scheduled routine of updating my iMac bootable clone with CCC (updated to the most recent, Catalina-compatible version) and updating my backups of my external drives with SuperDuper. No issues with either.

I'm on Catalina and I just competed my scheduled routine of updating my iMac bootable clone with CCC (updated to the most recent, Catalina-compatible version) and updating my backups of my external drives with SuperDuper. No issues with either.
When you say "updating my backups of my external drives with SuperDuper", what version of SuperDuper! are you using?

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
Which one should I get?super duper and CCC are both $30 for me since CCC academic discount. Same price

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I prefer CCC (I have both). It is easier to use. I'd recommend CCC especially if they're the same $.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2009
While CCC is s fine product, SuperDuper! is also easy (super easy!) to use. I'd recommend it, but one can't go wrong with either one.
one thing that worried me about super duper vs CCC is that CCC copies "recovery Partition" while superduper doesnt, and apparently if im going to use that backup as a primary boot drive in the future in case of any issues, then having recovery partition is important, and that makes CCC better than superduper? but i may be confused. other than that concern, i actually like superduper more than CCC

Reactions: ignatius345
one thing that worried me about super duper vs CCC is that CCC copies "recovery Partition" while superduper doesnt, and apparently if im going to use that backup as a primary boot drive in the future in case of any issues, then having recovery partition is important, and that makes CCC better than superduper? but i may be confused. other than that concern, i actually like superduper more than CCC
That original statement made by me is not accurate, as in post #43 above. In my case, though, I don't need the actual Recovery HD partition, as 1) I use TechTool Pro, and it has an eDrive feature, which is somewhat akin to the Recovery HD partition, and 2) the Recovery HD partition gets re-created on a clean installation of the Mac OS.

anthover

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
I have been using both products for over 20 years. Which one is best is different at different points in the products development over the years. There are edge cases that have caused issues for both products for me at various points (I also use the software in my IT support role as well). Both developers are super loyal and responsive. Shirt-pocket has never charged for an upgrade not that I would mind. A developer can not easily stay in business if they never charge you again. Bombich does charge periodically. I believe the last time was between v4 to v5.

It would have been interesting to know what was awry in the OPs back up. While the Target became clean the source might have had some issue.

Either way they are important tools to have in ones quiver. As has been said use what works best for you and test your bootable back ups.

Reactions: honestone33
I have been using both products for over 20 years. Which one is best is different at different points in the products development over the years. There are edge cases that have caused issues for both products for me at various points (I also use the software in my IT support role as well). Both developers are super loyal and responsive. Shirt-pocket has never charged for an upgrade not that I would mind. A developer can not easily stay in business if they never charge you again. Bombich does charge periodically. I believe the last time was between v4 to v5.

It would have been interesting to know what was awry in the OPs back up. While the Target became clean the source might have had some issue.

Either way they are important tools to have in ones quiver. As has been said use what works best for you and test your bootable back ups.
Well stated! Typically, Shirt Pocket Software does not release a newer version of SuperDuper! "between" ones associated with each new version of the Mac OS. As I posted before, they did come out with the new version 3.3 the other day for Catalina compatibility (but can be used with prior versions of the Mac OS). As I was doing my backups yesterday with V3.3 (and using Mojave on both of my Macs), after doing the first one, a pop up appeared about a new version, V3.3.1. I left the update happen (on both of my Macs), and the next backup went (as expected) smoothly.

Again, you stated it perfectly: either product is good.

OzXile

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2019
SuperDuper. The name says it all and Dave's customer support is second to none.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
The interface on SuperDuper while older looking also looks less complicated. At least to these eyes.

Oh, I don't know. Just click anytime on the Tips button at the top of the CCC window and voilà:

Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 13.31.27.png

It's hard to get any easier than that.

Reactions: Big Bad D

Dimka

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
San Francisco
It's march of 2020, I tried both CCC and SuperDuper! with High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina.
Both worked, but SuperDuper is much faster and CCC was giving warning when cloning Mojave on disks from High Sierra host.
So +1 for SuperDuper!
And it supports Catalina officially now

Reactions: MSastre

ashleykaryl

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
UK
I've just checked and I first purchased SD back in May 2005 for the sum of £11.27. In all that time it has worked with remarkable reliability across multiple OS versions and made the switch to APFS without ever being charged a penny for updates. The support is pretty world class as well if you ever have a question. I have looked at CCC a few times but moving away from SD is hard to imagine.

Reactions: MSastre and Jeffois
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.