Why I picked the iPhone over Android

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by k3roro, Oct 20, 2011.

1. k3roro macrumors 6502

I consider myself a technology-lover and I'm sure that there are a lot of those on this forum as well. I owned an iPhone 4 before and I knew that I had to get the iPhone 4s. Functionally, I think I could have been fine with the iPhone 4, but I knew that the nerd in me wanted to make sure that I had the best available.

With the Android phone, it seems like every 2 weeks or so a new better phone (hardware-wise) comes out. While some of the released Android phones are still viable such as the SGSII, I would feel like I needed to own the newest thing such as the Nexus Prime. I am sure they're both great phones, but the geek in me would want the Nexus Prime had I purchased the SGSII before.

I don't make a lot of money, I can afford to buy a new phone every year, but not a new phone every 2 months. Thus I chose the iPhone. I know that there will be an upgrade roughly every year, and now that I've purchased the 4s, I wouldn't have to worry about another one coming out and making it not the best iOS device until perhaps a year later. Note that this is based on past history, Apple could very well release the iPhone 5 in less than a year.

I'm just wondering if this point of view is common or am I the only one that thinks like this.

2. lilo777 macrumors 603

So, you are saying that Android phones progress too fast. Why is this bad? You bought iPhone 4S. In a week or two Samsung will release Galaxy Nexus and then Galaxy S3 which will be much better than your phone but you'll be fine because they have different OS? And SGSII owners should feel bad even though their phone is arguably better than IP4S? Don't you think there is a flaw in this thinking?

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

... So I'm assuming you Do the same with computers?

Why does it matter what else comes out after you just buy something? Get something that works for you, and something that you like.

Your post isn't really saying anything though; what is the point of statig what you said? That you don't like new things comin out after you buy the old?

4. thenerdal macrumors 65816

No one is forcing you to upgrade to a new phone.....

5. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

6. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

To the OP, I see your logic. I too half heartedly feel this way. My main reason is the integration and ownership a flagship company like Apple has in both the hardware & software. Plus, I know if software updates become available, I'll be eligible each and every time. Finally, it plays so well with all my other Mac products. :)

7. thenerdal macrumors 65816

Nexus phones. Google has control of the hardware and software for those phones, and they get the updates first.

8. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I feel the same way to an extent and it was part of the reason I switched to the iPhone 4 a few months back. My first Android was the HTC Incredible, to me it was a starter phone - the skin HTC put on made it easy to use. Then I switched to the Droid X a few months later.. But like you said, every few weeks/months something newer or better is coming out and it was frustrating to be "stuck" with what seemed to be older technology, yet none of them really were an all-around improvement. These past few days are the perfect example.. 2 weeks ago I think the Galaxy SII would have been the pinnacle of Android devices. Then the RAZR is released as the latest and greatest. Followed by the Nexus Prime/Galaxy.

At least with the iPhone I know I have a good 6-8 months of sticking with what I have - and it works. I'm guessing April/May will bring an iOS6 preview, following by a beta period leading up the whatever new hardware follows. Maybe a few incremental updates between now and then -but at least I'm not looking at the new flavor/feature of the week with Android OS'es anymore.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So if I read this right, you picked iPhone because their upgrade cycle is longer?

Ok.

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I love how everybody who is pro his argument is speaking plain gibberish and making no sense.

11. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think that is a good and valid point, but I don't think it should be the only reason you should go with iPhone over Android.

Are you telling me that is going to be the sole reason you pick up an iPhone? Not because of the OS or any other feature?

It's one reason why I like the iPhone more, but it's not the only reason. It's a whole combination of things. But it's also why if I went Android, I would get the Nexus phone and no other.

13. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

i got the iPhone 4s just cuz i could. i still have my droid bionic, the droid razor looks promising but i don't think its much better than my bionic.

14. macinnv macrumors regular

I feel the OP's frustration. Every android I buy, immediately the manufacturer or T-Mobile release a new version of it. Some examples:

- When I bought the myTouch 3G it didn't come with a 3.5mm headphone jack. A month later they release a new version with one.

- When I bought the Samsung Vibrant, they release a 4G version a month later.

- When I bought the Sensation, they come out with a new Sensation with 'beats' technology by Dre.

At least with the 4 or 4S, Apple will not release a new model for another year. Even then it will just be moved down a notch to the lower priced model. Even then it will run the latest operating system. Every Android I've bought has glaring software glitches and the carriers/manufacturer is so caught up in the newer version of my device that they take way too many months to send me an update.

15. OptyCT macrumors 6502

The only cetainties in life are death, taxes, and "thenerdal" responding to an Android thread on an iPhone message board. What are you doing over here anyway? Were you getting bullied over at Android Central?

16. thenerdal macrumors 65816

I couldn't find my way back and ran into this site. :rolleyes: