Why I purchase Apple Care

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Crawn2003, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I don't know how many of you read my thread about my Power Mac G5 springing a leak and frying my computer.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=377414 is the thread on it.

Today I went back to the Apple Store to pick up my replacement. They sent a brand new mac pro. The specs are as follows:

Mac Pro Dual 2.66
    8GB RAM
    500GB HD along with my original 320 I purchased afterwards.
    nVidia 7300GT

All I have to say is that purchasing Apple Care has saved me a few thousand in the long run. Needless to say that I'm purchasing Apple Care on all my current machines and future machines.

~Crawn

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Agreed fully. My G5 is getting just about everything replaced right now. I'm kinda hoping they can't fix it so I can get a new one. :D

3. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

totally agree...
    I own a Macbook that has been sent in for repair recently and having apple care and a 3year coverage makes me sleep better;)

4. tribe3 macrumors 6502

My take is different. With all the money I saved not buying the product Applecare for all my Apple stuff over the last 7 years I can pay cash for any computer that blows up and still stay ahead.

The only out of warranty problems I had were 3 batteries for a Macbook Pro but they are recalled so Apple replaces them all the time. The rest of the problems came always inside the 1 year Apple warranty.

5. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

If that's true, then you own too many apple things ;)

Also, what happens if you end up with two dead machines? Surely you haven't saved enough to fix significant issues with two machines. I don't buy it for iPods, but for high dollar items like my Mac Pro, I buy it. I actually need to go buy it for my Mac Pro like this week because it turns one year old the end of this month.

6. emilsjr macrumors newbie

For the Dual G5 with liquid cooling, it was a no brainer.

Glad I did it, since I also picked up my replacement Max Pro today after my 2.5 Dual G5 sprung a leak and was not repairable. With only 2 months left on Applecare as well.

The new machine's specs:

Mac Pro 2.66
    Nvidia FX 4500
    Airport Extreme and Bluetooth
    1 Gig (they did not replace my extra memory I had added after purchase).

I also will always buy Applecare on big purchases as well. Was minorly surprised Leopard was not pre-installed, but the upgrade disc was in the box.

7. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Yes, too many.

My experince is that if electronics don't fail within the first couple of months they won't fail for many years. Of course things can happen but in my case so far so good. I can have 2 computers fail and will probably tie :D

But I said "My take"; I understand many people need extended warranties to feel safe, and I respect them.

Bests.

8. wentwj macrumors regular

When I get my Mac Pro I'll have to decide this... and I think I'll probably do what I usually do, which is conclude that the extended warranty price is set by statisticians with much more data then me, and is designed such that mathematically I'm losing out in the long run.

The only thing might be if AppleCare is a flat rate. I think it is, but is it just flat for all Mac Pros, or is it flat across all Mac computers? Either way if it's flat, if you're getting something above average cost wise it could make mathematical sense then.

9. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

Wow, that's awesome. Glad I got my applecare for my macbook.