iPad Why I returned it | BookBook for iPad Air review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by BJB Productions, Mar 18, 2014.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I returned my BookBook for iPad Air within less than 24hrs after receiving it. Why? I'll explain briefly with some images as well.

The outside of the case is gorgeous and surprisingly slim; especially compared to the original version. Carrying it is very fun. The best part about the BookBook is probably staring at it when it's closed and smelling the leather. That's about it though.
    008.jpg

1. For an $80 case, you would expect the cutouts to be more precise.
    002.jpg

2. The leather casing that holds the iPad was not aligned very well. This resulted in some bezel being visible on one side and not on the other.
    004.jpg

3. Case prohibits from pressing the spacebar. This may just be a pet peeve of mine...but when I tried to type on it, I noticed that none of my sentenceshadanyspaces. The leather prohibited my thumb from hitting the screen when typing. :confused:
    005.jpg

4. Vertical position was too severe and couldn't be adjusted. Like most cases, it's one position fits all. However, the viewing angle was so severe. I would really have liked it if the case leaned slightly further back.
    006.jpg

In conclusion: The lack of quality in this case is surprising for $80. For the amount of engineering Twelve South has claimed to have put into it one would expect a lot more versatility and precision. It will probably still please the average consumer, but those who pay more attention to detail in the cases they purchase may be disappointed.

Props to Twelve South for managing my exchange smoothly and without question. I'll keep the review concise so if you have any further questions, let me know and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks!

2. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

3. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Not my cup of tea, but it looks like a well crafted case. I've had leather backed cases before like this and the holes are hard to align correctly because the position of the iPad is not fixed. I guess they could've gone with a different material, but that probably would've changed the feel of the case.

4. yabai macrumors member

Not arguing with any of that, though i have no trouble with the space bar, except number 4. The correct way to use the landscape stand mode is with the volume button edge up. Looks like this, and by adjusting where the bottom edge sits in the inside cover, you can adjust the angle.

image.jpeg

5. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Ah, thanks for the tip. Glad it's working out for you. It's still a very nice case, it just didn't fit my needs.

Cheers

6. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Nice photos!!
    I have two BookBooks-- the first is for my iPhone 3. The second is for my rMini. The size for the rMini is about perfect!

This is my go-to case for travel where I like the very high level of protection from both damage and dust. But I have to agree that I keep fiddling trying to line it up in the window perfectly. Finally got used to being just a little (very little) off, but still can bug me. I bet if I had a black iPad it would be less annoying.

I have been so tempted to "frankencase" this one by carefully cutting out the leather framework and using a thin back cover instead. I was thinking I would use parts of the leather frame to create a hinge, so that the actual use of the case would stay exactly the same.