Why I returned my iPhone 3G for a Blackberry Curve

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by emeraldspread, Dec 30, 2008.

1. emeraldspread macrumors newbie

My wife and I both had an iPhone 3G, until 2 weeks ago. When we first bought them, we could not make or received calls in our house and dropped calls constantly elsewhere. AT&T said in July that my area was due for an 850 expansion later this year (2008). Apple said that the software updates would also help too. So we gave it a shot for months. Nothing fixed it and we both still had very poor reception, high frequency of dropped calls and delayed text messages and voicemails ever since we bought the phones.

I swapped both phones out 3 times and changed the SIM cards. At my last visit to the Apple store, the guy told me that my iPhone had a 35% dropped called rate and 32 modem resets in 2 weeks. This was a major problem, especially since my phone was used for a small business.

Who's problem is it? AT&T? Apple? They blamed each other.

At any rate, after escalating the call to AT&T's office of the president and Apple's Customer Relations dept., 4 days of back and forth phone call troubleshooting and a Better Business Bureau complaint, AT&T let us out of our contract without paying the early termination fees. Our local Apple store also let us return our iPhones for a full refund, even though mine was purchased on 3G launch day (I was one of the 1st customers in line) and my wife's was purchased in September.

I now have a Blackberry Curve on Verizon that rings in my house. I have had the phone for 2 weeks and haven't dropped a single call. I just don't get why AT&T and Apple think that it is acceptable for a business person to have to stick their head out of a window in order to improve their cell phone reception.. I understand that AT&T's 3G network might not penetrate walls easily, but my Verizon 3G service has been impeccable so far, in and out of my house

As a Mac guy since 1987, and having converted 14 Windows users in my lifetime, I will say that it was a very sad day when I had to return these phones. My Blackberry Curve doesn't touch the iPhone in terms of class, appearance and finesse, but the Blackberry's productivity and reliability far superior - ie, mass delete/select emails, mark all as read, copy and paste function, it rings in my house and I don't have to worry if I'm going to drop a prospective clients phone call!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

AT&T sucks, you want the iPhone deal with it. The BB curve has its own issues as well. To the best of my knowledge there is no perfect phone and it's fruitless to really complain one way or the other.

3. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I think it's AT&T's service, personally.

I've never had one dropped call, and I'm usually at 5 bars in the city (after the software update.)

(I'm with ROGERS in Canada by the way)

4. StevnJ9971 macrumors member

It's AT&T's fault, not Apple. In my area, however, they've improved dramatically from 10 years ago. There's still one street that always drops calls, but other than that I have service pretty much everywhere.

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Its defiantly ATT

No problems here with softbank

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Unfortunately, AT&T doesn't seem to have a good network in some areas. The iPhone lacks some functionality, that much is certain.

But give it time, and all will improve. Then maybe the iPhone may meet your needs.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I agree. They are defiant. ;)

Anyway, OP, glad you found a phone that does what you need. There's no shame in picking the product that's best for you, even if it was not made by Apple.

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

That's unfortunate.

I really hope Apple's able and willing to sell unlocked iPhones just straight up from their stores at some point. Being able to just pick whatever provider and whatever plan and payment type will be a big deal for a lot of people.

OP could have been on the best provider for his area. It's a shame, I hate that "lock down" stuff.

9. TheMBC macrumors 6502

Aw, that's too bad. Hey, at least you got the phone that does what you need it to without any penalty :)

Oh and the iPhone CAN do mass email selecting for deleting and copying over, etc.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. When I first moved to Colorado I had Verizon. Their coverage in the area I live was horrible. Switched to at&t and have much better coverage. It is all about what works for you. After all, they are just phones.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I think it has to do with the phone somewhat. My iPhone is almost guaranteed to drop calls in my basement where my BB Curve doesn't.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Good for you OP; my house I get 2-4 bars with AT&T and when my brother comes out to visit he gets no reception on his Verizon phones, so I agree that it's a hit and miss with all service providers...:cool:

13. WPeterson macrumors member

WPeterson

AT&T... old problems. so i still prefer the unlocked iPhone without AT&T.
    who can help me buy one from Hong Kong?

:cool::cool::cool:

14. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

So you knew you needed a phone for business purposes, and went out and bought a phone that is for entertainment purposes (it's a freaking ipod man, COME ON!!!!!???!)...... and then, you complain about it not having the functionality of a business phone. WOW. I can understand about the dropped calls, but really... it should have been as simple as you making a decision early on. You understood the consequences and possibilities of it not being fixed and still agreed to the contract. You had 30 days to return the phone, and you decided to stay dropped calls and all. It sounds to me like you broke the contract, after you made an educated decision to stay with the company after knowing they had issues. They should have charged you the disconnect fee's........... next time, make a decision within the "money back guarantee" period.

Pfft....

15. deadsouls macrumors regular

wait so the iphone is just an entertainment phone?

16. emeraldspread thread starter macrumors newbie

17. Fuchal macrumors 68020

iPhone has mass delete/select emails

18. emeraldspread thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct, you can select more than one email, but touching 'Edit' then touching each email. What about marking them as read, not deleting them?

19. aristobrat macrumors G4

There is no such thing as a wireless carrier that gets good reception everywhere. I just don't get why you would expect otherwise.

There are some [G1, Blackberry, Instinct] customers on [T-Mobile, VZW, Sprint] having the EXACT same reception issues that you had with the iPhone on AT&T. That's just how wireless services goes. So why complain? Are you wanting to warn others? If so, then list the areas where AT&T didn't work for you.

20. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

All I can say after that story is, good on you for converting 14 Windows users. Unfortunate about the iPhone problems though.

21. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Sounds like you set the world record for effort in discovering that AT&T reception in your area is bad.

22. emeraldspread thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't my idea to exchange the phones 3 times, it was Apple's. It's not like I wanted to. I asked them the same thing - Why would this improve my reception? I guess they were just following the troubleshooting procedure step by step.

I'll tell you why it has to do with Apple - Simply, they chose AT&T. And only AT&T.

Also, in your comparison to a customers DSL being slow - the difference here is that it is not that my iPhone was slow - it just wouldn't ring in my house and I dropped calls constantly.

Also, if I had DSL that stopped working all the time and wouldn't connect to the internet, and the computer that I purchased was only allowed to work with one particular ISP, then yes, I would return the computer.

23. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Phone

Why is everybody jumping on him for returning his phone due to poor reception... I think that is the correct thing to do being that his dropped call rate was 31%.. That is just totally unacceptable.. And being that he runs a small business I think that could be possible that he could lose revinue becuse of the dropped calls. So good for him if he got a phone that works for his needs... AT&T needs to step up there service a little bit.. Granted the service is better since the updates and I think they are updating things as the weeks go by, so hopefully it will only get better...

James

24. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

if Sprint or Verizon the iphone we would't have drop calls.