macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2010
••this post has been deleted by the author***

Last edited:

flurffmeister

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
There's not a thing wrong with that. Buying a new thing when the thing you've got is still working perfectly well, that's expensive and not really all that bright. (I would know, I suffer from that particular affliction)

That's a pretty good testament to the robustness of the first generation iPod touch. I miss that. I had one one time, and I still look back on it fondly.

If it ain't broke...

Comment

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I still have my 1st gen Touch. It had the Wolfson audio chip which is regarded as the best for iPod audio. You could only get it in 16GB max though. I did upgrade to a Gen3 cause I could get it in 64GB for my music and believe that is overall the best classic Touch. The new gen 5 is really good though and may be my next Touch.

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I still have my 1st gen Touch. It had the Wolfson audio chip which is regarded as the best for iPod audio. You could only get it in 16GB max though. I did upgrade to a Gen3 cause I could get it in 64GB for my music and believe that is overall the best classic Touch. The new gen 5 is really good though and may be my next Touch.
Starting in Janurary of 2008, the first generation iPod Touch could be bought in sizes of 32GB for $499. I still use mine often. Mostly for music and Netflix.

Comment

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Sadly there are so many people that are in the race of "keeping up with the jones' " that they'll buy the latest gadget even though they don't need it they just want to keep up with the crowd.

I'm admittedly this way at times where I feel like I "need" the latest device but since I use the iPod Touch as more or less as a password storage/calendar/to-do list the 4th gen is still decent for this. I do play games on it occasionally but its not the primary function for me.

As tempting as the 5th gen is I can't really find a reason to justify spending at least $300 on it especially for mostly PDA functionality.

Hey as long as it works to your needs thats really all that matters. Of course the battery is probably getting a little crusty at this point, I know my 120GB Classic (2008) is starting to become a turd with getting only about 24-26 hours of music.

----------

Yup 1st gen was the only one to carry the Wolfson chipset vs the cheap Cirrus Logic crap they've been using. Although they have improved considerably I still don't think the sound is as balanced as the Wolfson chipset.

5th Gen iPod Video and Zune also uses the Wolfson chipset and I find a pretty clear difference with HQ head phones when switching between my Classic and 5th gen.

Comment

YoshikiUK

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2009
How is your battery doing? I've had mine since 2008 and after the last charge the battery lasted just under 8 hours.

Comment

pachi

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2012
ipod touch 1st gen

Starting in Janurary of 2008, the first generation iPod Touch could be bought in sizes of 32GB for $499. I still use mine often. Mostly for music and Netflix.
How does your netflix still work. I've been very diligent not to update apps but netflix just quit working about 6mos ago. Bought a 5thgen but the wifi was terrrible so I returned it.

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
How does your netflix still work. I've been very diligent not to update apps but netflix just quit working about 6mos ago. Bought a 5thgen but the wifi was terrrible so I returned it.
I don't know. It just does. I update the apps through the iPod's App Store, so it running the latest Netflix for iOS 3.1.3. Bit slow on loading, but it works.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.