Why I still love my iPod Touch 1G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bpbatch, Oct 12, 2012.

1. bpbatch, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

bpbatch macrumors member

••this post has been deleted by the author***

2. Itouch g1, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

Itouch g1 macrumors member

Exactly what mine will do once the 5g is delivered.

3. flurffmeister macrumors member

There's not a thing wrong with that. Buying a new thing when the thing you've got is still working perfectly well, that's expensive and not really all that bright. (I would know, I suffer from that particular affliction)

That's a pretty good testament to the robustness of the first generation iPod touch. I miss that. I had one one time, and I still look back on it fondly.

If it ain't broke...

4. cnev3 macrumors 6502

If you use it, thats the only thing that matters.

5. WLS macrumors 65816

I still have my 1st gen Touch. It had the Wolfson audio chip which is regarded as the best for iPod audio. You could only get it in 16GB max though. I did upgrade to a Gen3 cause I could get it in 64GB for my music and believe that is overall the best classic Touch. The new gen 5 is really good though and may be my next Touch.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Starting in Janurary of 2008, the first generation iPod Touch could be bought in sizes of 32GB for $499. I still use mine often. Mostly for music and Netflix.

7. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Sadly there are so many people that are in the race of "keeping up with the jones' " that they'll buy the latest gadget even though they don't need it they just want to keep up with the crowd.

I'm admittedly this way at times where I feel like I "need" the latest device but since I use the iPod Touch as more or less as a password storage/calendar/to-do list the 4th gen is still decent for this. I do play games on it occasionally but its not the primary function for me.

As tempting as the 5th gen is I can't really find a reason to justify spending at least $300 on it especially for mostly PDA functionality.

Hey as long as it works to your needs thats really all that matters. Of course the battery is probably getting a little crusty at this point, I know my 120GB Classic (2008) is starting to become a turd with getting only about 24-26 hours of music.

----------

Yup 1st gen was the only one to carry the Wolfson chipset vs the cheap Cirrus Logic crap they've been using. Although they have improved considerably I still don't think the sound is as balanced as the Wolfson chipset.

5th Gen iPod Video and Zune also uses the Wolfson chipset and I find a pretty clear difference with HQ head phones when switching between my Classic and 5th gen.

8. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I had an used mine until just a few weeks ago, when my son inherited it. Never had a problem with it. :) Great device.

9. YoshikiUK macrumors newbie

How is your battery doing? I've had mine since 2008 and after the last charge the battery lasted just under 8 hours.

10. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I haven't timed it, but it's very good. Enough at least to get me through 3-4 TV show episodes, if I remember correctly.

11. pachi macrumors newbie

ipod touch 1st gen

How does your netflix still work. I've been very diligent not to update apps but netflix just quit working about 6mos ago. Bought a 5thgen but the wifi was terrrible so I returned it.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't know. It just does. I update the apps through the iPod's App Store, so it running the latest Netflix for iOS 3.1.3. Bit slow on loading, but it works.