Why I still prefer the Mac App Store as a customer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple blogger, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Apple blogger macrumors 6502a

From all the recent issues with the Mac App Store, and all the apps like sketch removing the apps from the App Store. I think they're bit over reacting to this. As a customer, I think apps on the Mac store make more sense than the Internet and when I purchase them as a customer. And I'm gonna point it out in the reasons below:

1. security : since apple reviews all the I know that the apps I download are secure, and free of any code that'll bring virus. Apple products are not known for their "virus free" nature just like that. If the app is on the Internet, it may be a An app that'll harm my computer.

2. Reviews: the developer said, that Apple takes weeks to review the apps the developer submit. To which I ask them.. As a customer ofcourse, I don't have any knowledge of developing but I have don't a coding course in college, how can a company review an app in less time, when you'll take months to build it.. Apple might be checking every line. They check if there are no codes that are against the security. They check if the privacy is not harmed. And yes, as seen by the app that got removed from iOS, (forgot the name), it had something to do with brightness, they even check their App Store standards are met. Now regarding that app, I think that Apple knows why they didn't approve that app. Now, the app lets the users increase or decrease brightness beyond the permissible limits. Now this could have 2 reasons according to me, that y Apple disproved this. a) first since the brightness is changed beyond the permissible limits, there's certainly a harm for the device itself. The screen might get affected, the battery might get affected and the overall experience might get affected cause of the app. b) since Apple products are costly, a customer wouldn't want their products to get defective cause of the app. And if it does, the full nose would go to Apple. And it would ruin their brand. Thus, since Apple products are meant to work fluidly along with apps and other products, if the product us damaged, its direct impact would be on the customer and the company itself. The developer would also share a little blame. So personally, if Apple reviews each product. I expect them to review it thoroughly and make sure it's right for the customer.

3. All apps in one place - quite obvious. I can search all apps in a single place. I agree that they need to improve the UI for the App Store, but it's a continent place. On the Internet, the app might just get lost.

4. Upgrades and demos - I believe 1 reason developers removed apps like sketch because of priced upgrades and give demos of the app. Now I'm not sure whether in app purchases solves this is issue, but can the developer upgrade your app with a feature, but allow it only as an in app purchase? I'm pretty sure that's allowed right? So why Doesn't it solve this issue? And about demo of the app. Many developers use a lite version of the app for free or a free app and upgrade to pro with in app purchase.. I think that too solves this issue.

5. Paid app- personally I'll pay for an app on a app store without much hezitation, while on the Internet, if it's a new app I'll probably feel hesitant, cause of the security and privacy part of the app.

The only thing I would like Apple to do, is make it perfect for the developers so that their hardwork doesn't go waste. I don't want to go against any developers, I just want to know their point of view, cause from the customers point of view, the App Store is a very good market place to buy and find apps

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Demos could be achieved by a lite version or a in app purchases but not upgrades. Apple's business model does not really allow for upgrades.

As my $.02, I can see advantages with the MAS, yet I frequently avoid the MAS, because non MAS apps typically are more feature rich, I pay less for upgrades and new versions are rolling out faster since they'll not have to deal with apple and their seemingly conflicting review process.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

There are a fair number of officially undocumented objects, properties, function calls etc. that'll get you spanked by MAS, but also make getting your code to do what you want it to do efficiently far easier.

4. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

MAS is in theory a good idea but in practice I am not impressed.

1. While its possible to download harmful software from internet risk is small as long as you only download directly from trusted developers. MAS isn't foolproof and harmful software could pass Apples scrutiny.

2. I am not a developer but reviewing code shouldn't take as long as writing it.

3. MAS search is a joke and large part of the software sold is abandoned or junk.

4 and 5. Upgrades are much more practical from consumer point of view, I can choose to upgrade or not. And majority of the developers don't use as heavy DRM as Apple does which means I won't be at the mercy of certification expiration like in MAS. Demos are not possible unless Apple changes its policies regarding MAS.

I prefer purchasing software directly from vendors because of MAS limitations, better prices (upgrade cost a lot less than purchasing full version) and I get better service & support.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I prefer apps don't get disabled by an expired MAS certificate. ;)

6. Apple blogger thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there a difference in the upgrade process on the iOS and Mac? Cause on iOS I receive frequent upgrades of apps.. And if that's the case, then yes Apple should change..

7. rednoah macrumors newbie

rednoah

Apple does not review source code. Developers submit binaries, not source code. It's impossible for Apple to ensure that an app is not harmful, that's why they have app sandboxing which makes it impossible for apps to misbehave.

Considering that Apple takes 30% of all sales, they do surprisingly little to improve the Mac App Store. Has there been any improvement to the Mac App Store from the Consumers point of view? The Mac App Store UI certainly doesn't look like it's been getting any developer/designer love since 2011 when it was first released.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The major difference is the upgrade in iOS is free, and while Apps in the MAS can and may do this, it doesn't help the developer who would like to charge a modest fee for the new version. That is should people expect to get free upgrades over the course of the applications life?

9. DavoteK macrumors 6502

Neither setup is ideal currently.

I like the MAS for convenience.

I like the direct from dev for upgradability at reduced rates.

MAS gets a few more pricing options, I won't even look elsewhere.

10. theluggage macrumors 68030

Sometimes, what you want is a full-featured "demo" to evaluate for a limited time, rather than perpetual access to a cut-down version that may not have the feature you want to evaluate. Do Apple allow time-limited Apps? If not, there's your problem.

Otherwise, 'lite' versions and in-app-purchase unlocks seem like a reasonable substitute. However, it would make a lot of sense for a 'Time-limited demo' feature to be baked in to the App Store.

As for 'upgrade pricing' - I'm lukewarm on that. On one hand, I see the developer point of view: free major upgrades for life is not economically viable, especially when the App Store has driven prices down somewhat. On the other hand, expecting customers to pay 50% of the original price for bug fixes, minor OS version compatibility tweaks and (all too often) a horrible UI "improvement" is equally unreasonable: perhaps the App Store constraints encourage developers to fix bugs for free and make sure that major new versions are sufficiently "new" to persuade people to pay full price...

One big 'pro' to the App Store that hasn't got enough coverage so far: buy once, use on all your Macs (or up to 5, or whatever the number is). Even if some developers are relaxed about that, others muck about with DRM (sometimes ham-fisted, too: one product I could mention allows 2 installs but uses the network MAC address, so if you use your laptop both on wired ethernet and wifi it uses up both installs...).

Other big 'con': "Informal" multiple licensing for business/education: I know that there are enterprise/educational licensing schemes if you need, like, 200 copies, but if you're a small group of mac users in a big PC-using pond and central purchasing doesn't want to know, the current solution for any App Store-only software seems to be to hand out iTunes gift cards and don't read the T&Cs too carefully...

11. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

To my knowledge very few developers provide free upgrades to major updates, one example is ShirtPockets SuperDuper!

I have no problem paying for major upgrades provided that it has clear benefits and upgrade price is reasonable. For example I skipped TechTool Pro versions 6 and 7. Only when 8 was released I decided it had enough improvements compared to version 5.