Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake4ever

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Ma'on La'oved, Hadera, Israel
Hello all,

Recently the Samsung Galaxy Note came to Israel, and seeing at my iPhone 4's contract just expired, I figured I'd at least try it out.

Seeing it in stores, it seemed awesome. It's huge (I'm 6'4", and my hands are huge so it fits fine), it was fast, and I decided to sell my iPhone 4 for 600 shekels, or about $160 USD. After buying the Note, I downloaded all the apps I liked and decided to try it out.

Now, after a few weeks...

I hate this thing.

I travel around the country a lot, and my phone barely lasts the whole day. The apps on here are slow and buggy, the phone itself is slow, and it just doesn't work as well as iPhones.

I'm returning it this Sunday, and getting myself an iPhone 4.

/rant :apple:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Battery life is definitely my biggest complaint with Android phones, but that isn't really an Android vs iOS issue as much as it is a hardware one. Although, granted, it is a lot easier to suck battery in Android...

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Interesting, I was about to do the exact opposite and trade in my iPhone 4 and get the Galaxy Note. Did like the bigger screen since I'm your size plus it felt better in my hands. Guess I'll just stick with my trusty iPhone 4 for now and hold out for the new iPhone instead.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The 4S doesn't have the greatest battery life either when used heavy for a day. The more complex these phones get the worse it will become, I don't see any phone having an advantage.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Interesting, I was about to do the exact opposite and trade in my iPhone 4 and get the Galaxy Note. Did like the bigger screen since I'm your size plus it felt better in my hands. Guess I'll just stick with my trusty iPhone 4 for now and hold out for the new iPhone instead.

Well, if you want to go by what one person posted on the internet, then by all means don't get the Note.

For me, the Note has been comparable to the battery life I had with my iPhone 4, except now I can do things like read books so much easier. Is the Note perfect? No. But that has more to do with the OS, not the Note. For example, you'd think cut, copy and paste would be better than (or at least as good as) the iPhone, since Android had it first, but it's not. Perhaps ICS is better, but that hasn't come out yet for AT&T's Note.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Every android I've owned has been buggy and slow at times. Battery even worse. I really wish they would customize the software for the actual phone. It seems like they just mass produce the software and send it to all
"capable" phones.

Updates are another problem with android. Slow to roll out and when they finally do, a lot of times it just makes the phone worse.

jake4ever

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Ma'on La'oved, Hadera, Israel

Don't trust what one person on the Internet says, try it yourself and return it if you don't like it.

----------

Well, if you want to go by what one person posted on the internet, then by all means don't get the Note.

For me, the Note has been comparable to the battery life I had with my iPhone 4, except now I can do things like read books so much easier. Is the Note perfect? No. But that has more to do with the OS, not the Note. For example, you'd think cut, copy and paste would be better than (or at least as good as) the iPhone, since Android had it first, but it's not. Perhaps ICS is better, but that hasn't come out yet for AT&T's Note.

ICS on the Israeli Note is buggy, slow... I dislike it greatly.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'll agree with the bad battery life on Android. Been using BlackBerry's for so long, got an Incredible S and decided to field test to see if I could ever use this as a daily driver. I'd use the Incredible the same way I would use my BlackBerry (heavy messaging, light browsing) and by days end, it would be dead. Went online to read the reviews on not just the Incredible S but other Android phones and the consensus is that Android just have bad battery life and an extended battery is recommended. Unless something changes, I will definitely not be switching to Android.

I plan on getting a hold on a 4 or 4S to test that for a week and see how that is. I'm not expecting something amazing but it should be bette than Android.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
The 4S doesn't have the greatest battery life either when used heavy for a day. The more complex these phones get the worse it will become, I don't see any phone having an advantage.

Disagreed. Phones have become exponentially more complex since the early days and battery life has increased to match that complexity. As phones become more complex, battery tech will increase.

binaryskies

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Washington DC
I hate android. Its slow and the layout and design is an eyesore. I currently own an OG Droid that's rooted and I cannot wait for July so I can switch back to iOS. Now, I know the phone I own is old and outdated...but I work with Geek Squad and have had the opportunity to play with every popular android device (tablet/smartphone) so its not a hardware issue..anyways. when I first saw the note I thought it was a display it was that big. Its late and I can go on..but its good to know someone else is fed up with android.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I enjoy android much more than iOS. I like the status bar and notifications system better and I also enjoy the increased customization. I run ICS and also had 2.3 and haven't seen all these bugs everyone is talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.