Why I think a front camera won't come to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acfusion29, Nov 20, 2008.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Well there are a few reasons.

1. Space. Adding another camera would mean they would have to do something on inside to add another stupid camera.

2. Cost. No, not for Apple. How bout using the service? Video calling isn't free people. It's going to cost money and then people will complain that they have to pay even more to use another feature on the iPhone.

3. The iPhone is a smartphone (at least that's how I see it), and there is no other smartphone, such as a Blackberry, that even has this feature. If you wanna do video chat, you have skype for that.

People are asking for way too much in a phone.

2. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

But wouldn't this be cool?

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...22".PGNR.&OS=DN/20060007222&RS=DN/20060007222

Of course it'd make the iPhone larger...
    I don't think Apple is gonna refrain from releasing something just because consumers are complaining about current price. After all, Apple hasn't released a notebook that's less than 1K (with tax).

Well, just because no other smart phone has it (note, I don't think you're correct in saying no smart phone has it...then again, the iPhone is my first smart phone), doesn't mean they can't include it. No other smart phone has 128 MB of RAM...or an OS that supports multi-touch...or a three-axis accelerometer (note that I'm just guessing).

Anyway, I wouldn't care too much about a front camera...I barely use the back one...

3. aluren macrumors 65816

maybe not in 2009, but i think eventually they'll have to once video chat catches on in the US.

4. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

That's a North American point of view. At least here in Spain, I've had this capability for the past 3 years on my phones except now that I have an iPhone. The cost per minute was .05 cents, even cheaper than a voice call for me.

Since it's not a popular feature in North America, it doesn't mean the rest of the world thinks the same. There are many Nokia smartphones that have two cameras (front and back).

5. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

your 1st and 3rd points are totally wrong because nokia smartphones have had front facing cameras for while now. its more at&t not offering video chat service than phones not having front facing cameras.

i do agree with your 2nd point though. the sense of entitlement is strong amongst iphone owners. everyone wanted tethering from at&t, but now everyone is pissed they have to pay. i imagine video chat would be the same way.

6. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Ok sorry, my 3rd point is wrong (I actually completely forgot about Nokia's smartphones) but not my first. They would have to make adjustments on the inside in order to make some space for a second camera.

Yes technology is advancing fast, but what takes more time is incorporating that new technology with existing technology. It's not easy.

7. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

if apple wanted to im sure they could add a front facing video camera but there is no point if at&t does not have the capability to handle the large number of iphone users. the network is being stretched thin as it is so imagine what it would be like WITH tethering and WITH video chatting. at&t just cant handle it.