Why I think Siri WILL work:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calviin, Oct 8, 2011.

1. calviin macrumors regular

We have the technology to interpret voice and natural language now. Just look at Watson on jeopardy. I don't know about you, but for a computer to come up with a question using answers is pretty impressive. If Apple uses the same programming and algorithms that Watson uses, it'll be pretty accurate I think. Iirc, Watson only missed seven questions. (But that could totally be a star I'm pulling from thin air.) Now, I know that Watson doesn't have ears but we've had diction programs for a while now. Combine the two and boom! Siri. I wouldn't exactly call it state of the art, but it's definitely innovation.

2. hingedshinobi macrumors newbie

I may be remembering this wrong, but Watson didn't "hear" and interpret the questions. He had them sent to him at the same time the question was asked.

3. calviin thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yea. That's why I was talking about how Watson didn't have ears but we do have diction programs that "hear". So basically Watson+dragon=Siri.

4. karellen macrumors member

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

No.... you're throwing two separate things together and saying they're the same because you understand them the same.

They work on the came concept, but are different in that Watson can actually "think" and Siri just looks for key words and uses an algorithm to match that.

.... it sounds just like Watson, but Watson's level is much more intimate.

On Jeopardy, the topic was "Chicks Dig Me"

It knew they were referencing female archeologists.