Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Even now, I still maintain that AMOLED screens are bottom of the barrel where it matters. The GS3 screen is not a good screen.
I have to admit, you're absolutely right. That's the main issue with Samsung phones right now. I don't have much of a problem with it since I heavily customized and calibrated my Nexus and I got it for less than 400 unlocked, but the GS3 is not a good buy, and I've been saying it for months now.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
This list doesn't take into account future updates that either device may have.

Hardware:
  1. Removable/replaceable battery
    - I guess I'm over with Nokia
  2. microSD card slot (total storage up to 96GB)
    - I can't consume my 16GB :\
  3. NFC (i.e. Android Beam, Google Wallet, NFC sticker customization)
    - Security flaw (http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-4s...t-photos-contacts-and-other-info-compromised/)
    - In case you missed Bump app
  4. USB (vs. proprietary connector)
    - I don't need 'em
  5. LED notification light
    - I'm oever with BB as well
  6. HD resolution
    - http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm

Software: way too many to list, but my biggest ones:
  1. Google Maps/Navigation/StreetView
    - Yeah, iPhone's new Maps app svck.
  2. Free WiFi tethering
    - Why do I need to tether my WiFi? Maybe 3G you mean? iPhone has it too
  3. File sharing via any app that plugs into the open sharing API
    - Security flaw
  4. Ability to choose default apps for tasks/filetypes
    - There's always an app for that
  5. Chrome to Phone/Fox to Phone
    - Safari does a good job
  6. Free ad blocking apps (i.e. Ad Away and AdFree)
    - There's Restriction
  7. Auto-updating widgets
    - What are widgets for? Just plain curious.
  8. True file system
    - FAT32?
  9. Settings toggles
    - Hmm?
  10. Tons more from mib1800
    - iPhone has tons too.

iPhone owner's view. Not to intend flame.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
This list doesn't take into account future updates that either device may have.

[*]Tons more from mib1800
- iPhone has tons too.
[/LIST]

iPhone owner's view. Not to intend flame.

Maybe you want to list them out (otherwise it's just you-say ;) ). I just can't think of anything the Iphone can do that Android cannot (or have no equivalents).
btw: those items in my list cannot be done in iphone (except one which I have not updated to take into a/c ios6)

FrankieUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
I just couldn't get over the fact that the GS3 feels cheap. Not sure if its the plastic or what but it just feels like a piece of junk.

I am glad it is plastic! if it wasn't i wouldn't of bought one, each phone i have had has been plastic and i haven't had one scratch on them, unlike the aluminium iphones.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
All that stuff is nice and all, but it was just a list of things my phone could do that I didn't use a great deal (or that I did use, but wasn't aware there were better alternatives).

For example; NFC tags are great, but it's better not having to quick toggle settings at all. I walk around now with my phone automatically pairing with Bluetooth devices and connecting to WiFi networks I have saved, without ever having to delve into the settings or remember to scan any tags.

With my running app on the iPhone it has playlist integration that actually works. On Android, CardioTrainer's playlist integration worked for my HTC Desire but not for my Galaxy S2 or S3 (presumably because they stored playlists differently). There are compatibility issues amongst certain apps.

I'm going to get AirPlay set up soon so I can listen to music all around the house without having to crank the volume up and get the distortion that happens when you do that. There might be an Android/Samsung equivalent to this, or Android might even be able to use AirPlay, I don't know.

Siri works when the phone is locked and there's really no comparison between Siri and S-Voice - Siri wins hands down. Google Voice Search is excellent, but even with the Jelly Bean update, S-Voice is still the app that opens when you use a Bluetooth headset!

Google Maps/Navigation is indeed superior. FAR superior.

Free WiFi tethering - don't need/want it.

File sharing via any app that plugs into the open sharing API - I could be wrong but I think that iOS may have this now. When I had EverNote installed I was able to share things with EverNote, but now that I've uninstalled it it's disappeared from the list of things I can share with.

Ability to choose default apps for tasks/filetypes - again, something that's there but I didn't have to use much, other than that I installed QuickPic to replace the default gallery because the default gallery sucks.

Chrome to Phone/Fox to Phone - iCloud tabs. Sucks that it only works with Safari though :( I use Chrome on my PC.

Free ad blocking apps (i.e. Ad Away and AdFree) - haven't seen any ads in iOS apps. Maybe I'm blind or they're just easy to ignore!

Auto-updating widgets - Don't miss widgets. You get a long list of notifications on the iOS lock screen that basically show the same information. If you want more info, just open the app.

True file system - I'm sure I'll probably miss this one day but I don't yet.

Settings toggles - used to be a real advocate for these, but it really doesn't take any extra time. Let's call dragging the notification bar down a tap on Android.

Taps for each OS:

Android
1. Drag notification bar down.
2. Tap WiFi/Bluetooth toggle respectively.

2 taps.

iOS
1. Tap settings icon.
2. Tap WiFi/Bluetooth respectively.
3. Tap on/off toggle.

3 taps.

Not much in the grand scheme of things!

I know that you can place a toggle widget on the actual home screen on Android, but on iOS I rarely ever have to turn them on and off. Such a toggle would be a complete waste of space.

----------

The USB thing and the HD resolution aren't that compelling of reasons. The iPhone 5's display is sharper than the Galaxy S3's thanks to PenTile + iP5's slightly higher pixel density. Not to mention the iPhone 5's camera is AWESOME.

This is coming from a Galaxy S3 owner btw.

Actually the USB vs. proprietary connector is one of the only compelling reasons on his list! (imo)

I have lots of Micro USB cables and accessories lying around, but no lightning ones. Lightning adaptors are expensive and scarce at the moment.

----------

The GS3 has the worst screen on any "flagship" phone.

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_2.htm#Table

-It's dark and dim. It has a abysmal candelas per square meter of 224. That is VERY bad for a mobile device

-The Galaxy S III has a much poorer contrast rating and screen visibility in bright ambient light.

-Pentile artifacts are immediately visible, so it just looks off and wrong from the jump.

-Everything is glazed in a funky blue hue that discolors everything, and the color gamut is ALL WRONG.

- At maximum, the GS3 screen eats a whooping 1.3 watts of power, so it's not especially power efficient. If you turn up the brightness to see things outside better because it's so dim, power consumption goes up to a massive 2.2 Watts, while the iPhone 5 coasts at .74 watts

So, no matter how you cut it, the iPhone 5 display is better, and the GS3 display basically sucks like all AMOLED displays.

If you want a good android display you'll go with an Atrix or HTC OneX, and avoid AMOLED like the plague.

You can post all of the graphs and scientific reasoning you like, but that doesn't change the fact it's a great looking screen. ;)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
If someone says the iPhone5 screen is smaller than the GS3 screen, it's not "ragging"; it's a fact.

It's also the fact that the GS3 screen is not very good. It's big, but who cares when the display quality is sub second rate.

I guess I'm happy with my no good screen on the GS3, no chart can tell me otherwise. My own 20/20 vision eyes are my best judgement. And that's a FACT.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Matttye, this is to insignificant to quote your entire post.

But iOS is loaded with ad's the most screen shot thing is speedtest and its loaded with ads. If the app is free and isn't a business you are already patronizing then its got ads.

And you could add a toggle to the home screen. One touch to turn off Bluetooth, wifi etc.

Edit: crap, just Reread your post and you said that.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Matttye, this is to insignificant to quote your entire post.

But iOS is loaded with ad's the most screen shot thing is speedtest and its loaded with ads. If the app is free and isn't a business you are already patronizing then its got ads.

And you could add a toggle to the home screen. One touch to turn off Bluetooth, wifi etc.

Edit: crap, just Reread your post and you said that.

You're right that there's an ad in speedtest. I honestly didn't notice until you said.

My point is they're just little bars that you can easily ignore. They didn't bother me on Android and they don't on iOS either!

wayneholbrook

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Miami Florida
From what I undrstand the G3 cant even handle recieving group texts with its base app. Really? I dont own one but if thats true what a joke. And dont come and tell me, "Well just download another app like Whatsup" Base text app cant handle group messages. Please someone who owns one tell me this cant be true.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
From what I undrstand the G3 cant even handle recieving group texts with its base app. Really? I dont own one but if thats true what a joke. And dont come and tell me, "Well just download another app like Whatsup" Base text app cant handle group messages. Please someone who owns one tell me this cant be true.

Even if true (I don't know for sure), you don't need to download some other messaging platform like whatsup - download something like handcent or chompsms and replace the default messaging app.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

?

Wait are we allowed to list what the stock message app on iOS can't do?!? Oh I'm so excited!!

Oh we are only picking one feature about the S3 messaging app and acting like it matters? Darn....

wayneholbrook

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Miami Florida
You can't be serious; when it took apple two years for mms people were talking all kind of crap. Now you mean to tell me that the G3 can't handle group texts in 2012? Give me a break.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You can't be serious; when it took apple two years for mms people were talking all kind of crap. Now you mean to tell me that the G3 can't handle group texts in 2012? Give me a break.

So you're absolutely sure of what you had heard but unsure of before?

I just tried it, I can send messages to several people, and group message replies go into a single thread. So, your claim is false.

wayneholbrook

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Miami Florida
I have in the past, I receive group messages from friends - what's this problem you're all outraged about?

Not outraged at all. As I said I do not own one. I just thought it was crazy that a base app could not receive group texts in 2012. Group texts are important in business situations. When I heard you have to download a third party app just to do this I thought that couldn't be.

Now you are the first to say that it dies work. People on the android forum just confirmed that it CAN NOT receive group texts. So I'm not sure if your goofing around but it looks like it doesn't work.

The reason I was going on about this is because I have an iPhone 5 but wanted to buy the G3 for my second line. There was no way I easing to tell everyone at the office to download what's up just to complete a group text to me. So for my situation this is a desk breaker for me personally

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have in the past, I receive group messages from friends - what's this problem you're all outraged about?

He's just trying to find something to hate on. Why does it matter since you can replace the app with another? There are tons of features people don't like in the stock browser, why not bring that up? Because the browser can be replaced with one you like better.....

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
There was no way I easing to tell everyone at the office to download what's up just to complete a group text to me. So for my situation this is a desk breaker for me personally

This is where you're completely off - even if it were true, YOU would download an app called chompSMS and set it to default. From then on, all SMS messages would go to chomp, and not the stock messages app. THEY don't have to do anything.

It's called choice. I use chompSMS, because I like the interface and in-depth options better than the stock app.

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane
He's just trying to find something to hate on. Why does it matter since you can replace the app with another? There are tons of features people don't like in the stock browser, why not bring that up? Because the browser can be replaced with one you like better.....

He's just trying to point out the obvious double standard.

Android phone can't do xxx? It's okay, download an app.

iPhone can't do xxx? Raaaaargh death to Apple!!

wayneholbrook

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Miami Florida
This is where you're completely off - even if it were true, YOU would download an app called chompSMS and set it to default. From then on, all SMS messages would go to chomp, and not the stock messages app. THEY don't have to do anything.

It's called choice. I use chompSMS, because I like the interface and in-depth options better than the stock app.

There we go; finally a response i can deal with. I don't think i was way off at all. As i said I'm going by others who know the os way better than i, and they were right and i wasn't off. You do as you said have to download another app to make that work. But i appreciate the suggestion because that is what i was looking for. That is something worth looking into without a doubt.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
There we go; finally a response i can deal with. I don't think i was way off at all. As i said I'm going by others who know the os way better than i, and they were right and i wasn't off. You do as you said have to download another app to make that work. But i appreciate the suggestion because that is what i was looking for. That is something worth looking into without a doubt.

I didn't say you had to do anything. Group messaging works for me, and it has on every Samsung device I've owned since 2010 (GS, GS2 and GS3).

It's an option, not a mandate.

You were off because you thought everyone had to give up on texting you and use whatsup - that's completely false. On android, your choice of SMS app doesn't mean anything to anyone else - unlike the iPhone, where you have Apple's SMS app and then other messaging providers (where everyone uses that app and their message system).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.