Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I'm not sure bragging rights has anything to do with it. The reality is the 2014 Mini was under powered when it was released and has fallen even further behind. It may suffice for some and that is great but it's just not a good buy right now. And with Microsoft finally releasing a solid OS in Windows 10, the big advantage Apple had in the OS has narrowed to the point that a Windows machine is a viable alternative and certainly a better buy at this point.

Knockers, who don't have one, claim the 2014 Mac Mini is underpowered. Owners of 2014 Mac Minis, specced to suit their needs have found them to be more than adequate…… even the base model, which usually toddles long at 1.4 GHz, but can reach 2.7 GHz for a bit should needs require.

Windows 10…. meh. It has been installed on most of the computers at work (some still have windows 7 and one has XP). Each to their own, but I see no real benefit….. I see wait for updates to install, and still see the office geek or IT department techs having to fiddle frequently.

What's the incentive to change given that everything I do can be done with less hassle using OS X based apps? I'm no fanboy; own only one computer and no iDevices. I just want to do stuff, not muck around with hardware and software.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Knockers, who don't have one, claim the 2014 Mac Mini is underpowered. Owners of 2014 Mac Minis, specced to suit their needs have found them to be more than adequate…… even the base model, which usually toddles long at 1.4 GHz, but can reach 2.7 GHz for a bit should needs require.

Windows 10…. meh. It has been installed on most of the computers at work (some still have windows 7 and one has XP). Each to their own, but I see no real benefit….. I see wait for updates to install, and still see the office geek or IT department techs having to fiddle frequently.

What's the incentive to change given that everything I do can be done with less hassle using OS X based apps? I'm no fanboy; own only one computer and no iDevices. I just want to do stuff, not muck around with hardware and software.

I am a knocker and because I occasionally use one at work and it is underpowered for my uses. If you have casual computing needs like surfing the web, email and editing a few docs, it's fine. If you want to do anything needing some horsepower (video, photos, gaming) it is not close to adequate, especially considering the premium price paid for mediocre hardware.

While I still prefer OS X over Windows 10, Windows 10 is a vast improvement over previous versions and the gap between OS X and Windows 10 has narrowed considerably. As I said, I am now considering using it at home as Apple's offerings are very weak - we'll see what, if anything, is updated this fall. I updated to Windows 10 about a year ago and I have never had any problems or needed any IT help on it. I'm glad it gets updates, just like I'm glad OS X gets updates. And it is certainly as stable as OS X is on the Mac Mini, MBA and the iMac I have at home.

If you are happy with your Mac Mini and it meets your needs, that is the only thing that matters in the end.

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
Knockers, who don't have one, claim the 2014 Mac Mini is underpowered.
Underpowered is a relative term - relative, that is, to the task and how long to complete it. Some things like acting as a home file server, streaming audio and 1080p video work adequately on a 2 core cpu, 4 GB ram, 5400 rpm HDD machine. Other tasks like multitrack audio recording and editing, video transcoding/editing, large image manipulation and the like really require more robust machines with at least quad core CPUs, fast HDD/SSDs, more ram and discrete GPUs. Even more mundane things like web browsing feel so much faster and efficient on higher end machines although the lesser machines perform these tasks more than adequately.

So the current Mac Minis are adequate for some tasks and underpowered for others. That is as Apple intended it; they want you to buy higher performing and more expensive machines for the more demanding tasks. The difference between Apple and the other PC makers is that one gets more bang-for-the-buck in PC world (just compare the Intel NUCs with the Mac Minis) but (maybe) a more integrated overall experience with Apple. You gotta decide whether the Apple ecosystem is worth the trade off in functionality and price. For me sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't so I have a mixed environment of Apple and PCs; but lately, the trend is back toward PCs for me.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I'm still using my late 2012 Mac mini. The Mac mini is an excellent machine and I plan to buy another one soon for use as a media center in the living room. Wonderful desktop machines, in my opinion.
I actually use my 2012 Mac mini as an HTPC in the living room (but, I live by myself, so I don't have to share my TV with a spouse and children at the moment) :)

I do all of my work at home in this fashion - bumped up the mini with 16GB of RAM and a 250GB SSD. Works fine for all of my desktop work. No performance issues - plan on doing any workarounds necessary to make Sierra run on it in the fall.

Not planning on upgrading unless the new unit supports 4k (and, ideally, I'd like it supporting high frame rate - at least 120Hz) - so it could be awhile. :)

Reactions: ardchoille50

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX

The 1.4 is the same internals as the 2014 11" base macbook air while the other versions are based on macbook pro's. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a 2914 base macbook air at new computer prices at this time. It would be better to just get a used or refurbished 2014 base macbook air and hook it to a monitor when needed.

Knockers do not have to have a 2014 base macbook air to know they are buying a 2014 macbook air and with a spinner instead of an ssd, no screen, no keyboard. So stop trying to justify your purchase by insinuating everyone else is stupid. It's dumb to buy this computer based on old tech at new prices, period. Just like buying the 2012 macbook pro they had selling at the new price still was dumb.

There are even newer versions of the macbook air out and if you really want a desktop based on the base macbook air it would be better to at least get the newest version that includes better graphics, an ssd, screen and keyboard. It can still be hooked to a monitor.

[doublepost=1470069046][/doublepost]
I actually use my 2012 Mac mini as an HTPC in the living room (but, I live by myself, so I don't have to share my TV with a spouse and children at the moment) :)

I do all of my work at home in this fashion - bumped up the mini with 16GB of RAM and a 250GB SSD. Works fine for all of my desktop work. No performance issues - plan on doing any workarounds necessary to make Sierra run on it in the fall.

Not planning on upgrading unless the new unit supports 4k (and, ideally, I'd like it supporting high frame rate - at least 120Hz) - so it could be awhile. :)

I have a 2012 mini with ssd and maxed out memory. Runs great but my next computer will probably not be a mac seeing the direction they are going.

Last edited:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I have a 2012 mini with ssd and maxed out memory. Runs great but my next computer will probably not be a mac seeing the direction they are going.

Well, when I go 4k, it'll be an expensive proposition, as I'll have to replace my HTPC, TV and AV Receiver, guessing it'll be less than last time though - looks like both the TV's and receivers are cheaper now. I've also wanted to hold out until someone does glasses-free 3D properly. :)

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Knockers do not have to have a 2014 base macbook air to know they are buying a 2014 macbook air and with a spinner instead of an ssd, no screen, no keyboard. So stop trying to justify your purchase by insinuating everyone else is stupid. It's dumb to buy this computer based on old tech at new prices, period. Just like buying the 2012 macbook pro they had selling at the new price still was dumb.

There are even newer versions of the macbook air out and if you really want a desktop based on the base macbook air it would be better to at least get the newest version that includes better graphics, an ssd, screen and keyboard. It can still be hooked to a monitor.

Did I try to justify my purchase of a 2014 Mac mini? Do I even have one? Did I say, or even suggest, that everyone else is stupid?

I will now say that it is not very clever to suggest others should make their purchasing decisions based on one's own perceptions, situation, expectations and needs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.