Why I went with the Timbuk2 Laptop Commute Messenger 2.0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Disavowed, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

Well, sometimes, things just don't work out as you planned, and that can good. As I have previously posted, I bought a Zero-shock III for my 15" MBP and hope to fit it 17" Incase Nylon Backpack. Uh....no. I could barely get it in halfway before I started wondering how I would get it out. Your set up should protect your stuff, allow easy unfettered access, and not be a big deal while you are doing it.

It just so happened that there were a lot of threads on everything from Chrome, TB2, to everything else a week or so ago. ANYWAY, live in a city where there are very few venders who carrry TB2.

Long story longer (the best kind), the wife and I visit Chicago and go to the Music Box Theatre to see a movie and the biker who sat next to us had a TB2. After a friendly conversation and great review, we find out that the shop with the best selection in Chicago, Uncle Dandy's, is half a block away!

BOOM......20 minutes later I am walking out with a bag that fits my baby snugly, but with no threat of zipper scratches. It is padded THICKLY on each side with a soft corduroy pouch and velcro strap that keeps it in place. Now here is the kicker: the zippper/access to the laptop is in the back OUTSIDE the main flap. This is cool cause it doesn't scream laptop bag STEAL ME, I have plenty of room for books, phone, wallet, keys, etc, and it comes with a big zippered pocket that is perfect for cords of any and all kinds, throw in headphones, WD ext HD, and there is still room. The MAIN pocket is huge and could easily fit two law books (not a lawyer, just using as a reference.)

Oh, and the bag does not LOOK huge. It's well constructed and strong as hell, protects my investment, and lets me carry all my stuff effortlessly and with style.

Btw, my MBP 15" felt too jiggly in the Incase BP. Furthermore, while the ZS-III offers excellent protection, the fit could be more snug and still not come close to zipper damage. The laptop compartment fits my MBP "perfectly". PERFECTLY. How often does that happen?

Attached Files:

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just be careful with keeping your MBP in the same bag as your textbooks. The added pressure of your textbooks against your MBP will cause the keys and in particular your spacebar to leave permanent marks on your glossy screen. These marks seem rather small and difficult to notice, but the begin to multiply and eventually, by the time you notice it, it's too late and to repair the screen it will run you at least $700....:eek::eek::eek:

3. Disavowed thread starter macrumors regular

Disavowed

Point taken, thanks.

The bag usually hangs or stand straight up and has padding galore on each side of the laptop, but I get it. THANKS! :D

4. theclipper macrumors newbie

I am thinking of getting this bag as well. I am wondering if it has that extra strap to hold the bag closer to your body for bike riding etc? I know some of the other Timbuk2 bags have this, and it seems like it would be very practical and a nice feature to have.

Thanks

5. create90mph macrumors newbie

It does not come with an extra strap, but I would highly recommend the bag. I have one and its great!