HomePod Why I Will Leave Sonos for HomePod

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Average Pro, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Average Pro macrumors regular

Let me start by saying I'm an Apple fan, through and through.

I have several Sonos speakers (TV bar, subwoofer, 1, 3, etc) throughout my home. I love them and they work flawlessly (with the exception updates - more on that later). I will leave Sonos because I cannot play music from my Apple desktop computer (iTunes) through the Sonos speakers. For example, if I'm working on my computer and want to play music, no problem via iTunes. However, I cannot share/play that music on the Sonos speakers throughout the house. I have to use my iPhone. In addition, any songs I "like" get saved within Sonos, not iTunes.

Thankfully Apple has come out with the HomePod and as time passes, I will slowly migrate to the Apple system. Having said this, if someone knows of a way to play music on the Sonos via iTunes (without the Sonos App), please provide instructions.

Updates: I receive Sonos software update messages approximately 3-4 times per year. Each time I update Sonos, it crashes and I go through a cycle of restart, reset, unplug (multiple times). This also involves having to connect an ethernet cable and even after the speaker starts to work properly, the moment I disconnect it from the ethernet cable, the problem returns. I've found that it can take up to 3 days (post update) for the App and system to properly work. In the 5-6 times I've updated Sonos, it only worked once where I did not have to eventually plug the speaker into an ethernet cable.

As usual, I look forward to Apple improving another product.

2. FX120, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018

FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Apparently airplay 2 is coming to most Sonos speakers in the near future, and there's a few other intermediate options for audio input from a computer but they're not the cleanest aside from using a Play:5 or connects line level input. I've been building a Sonos system in my house and so get haven't had any of the issues you're describing with updates, but I guess time will tell. If you decide to part ways with your Sonos gear, see my WTB in the marketplace.

3. ozaz, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018

ozaz macrumors 65816

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you're happy to use the Sonos app on your phone (I assume this is the case because you have built a sizeable Sonos system) but not the Sonos desktop app? Obviously, using the Sonos desktop app would be the supported way to play your iTunes music collection through the Sonos system.

As FX120 mentions, Airplay 2 is expected to be a future supported option.

Some other options if you're completely against using the Sonos desktop app.....
    * If you have a spare Auxiliary input on your Sonos system (e.g. via a Connect or a Play 5) connect an Airport Express to it and Airplay to that.
    * Get a Sonos Connect to sit next to your Mac and wire the audio out port on your Mac to it's input.
    * Try a 3rd party hack like AirSonos or AudioBridge to Airplay direct from Mac to Sonos ( https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/04/audiobridge-airplay-sonos/ ). I've never tried this myself.

Like FX120, I've never has the issues you're experiencing with updates.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

My iPhone Sonos App works very well, no crashes. Prefer my Sonos system after listening to my neighbor’s HomePods, he is invested in two. He also thinks the Sonos sound better, a lot better.

And before you start I AM an Apple fan and have or had most of what they make. Just not giving up my speaker system because Apple decides to jump in.

5. Average Pro thread starter macrumors regular

Oz,

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find the desktop app on the site, but after an internet search, there it is. I'm aware that my preference for Apple products isn't always logical, but I'm willing to wait longer and pay more for a product I know will work. Now that Apple has entered the market with HomePod, I'm confident they will continue to develop the product over the next few years. I remember when the Watch came out. For well over a year, the Apple haters as well as market analysts were really tough on it. I wondered about it but much like the iPad, once I bought the Watch (series 2), I was hooked and don't know how I lived without it. The migration away from Sonos was always part of the plan as I continue to reduce who gets access to any digital data (reference the article on Cambridge Analytics ).

6. Bdub12 macrumors regular

Also leaving Sonos for HomePod.

I like the smaller footprint (allows multiple speakers in smaller spaces), the 360 degree sound field, and being able to ask my speaker to play a song directly. I'll not be able to do that with Sonos.

Of course, if I was a Spotify user, I'd stay with Sonos.

7. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

I use the Sonos app on my desktop iMac and MacBook Pro daily and generally use either my iTunes or use Apple Music. My desk/office is the same room as our big screen TV for which we use the Sonos sound bar, sub, and Play 3's for surround sound. I would definitely not get rid of the Sonos for TV/Movie watching, and, unless I'm missing something, the Sonos surround sound cannot be replaced with any Apple products.

Concurrently, we really enjoy the 2 HP's we purchased, but as single room, equally high quality, Apple Music speakers with the voice assistant. Even when Apple releases the stereo and multi-room options, I will continue to want to have Movie/TV sound that includes a sub.

8. Cinab1mt macrumors regular

I have both several Sonos speakers and 1 HomePod, and I'm sticking with both systems..

For me, my Sonos acts as my 5.1 surround sound system for my main TV, I know there are better sounding speakers out there for home theatres but I went with Sonos for the ease of being able to rearrange everything at a moments notice and set it up differently if you ever decide to move, re-model etc. I also like to have control of my system via my iPhone/iPad etc.

I also have the HomePod that acts as a speaker for my office or my bedroom. I think the HomePod is great for rooms as the sound really fills the space. I have also put my Sonos One and HomePod right next to each other and the HomePod sounds much better IMO, I have not compared 2 Sonos One's in speaker mode. The mids and the bass sound a lot better that the One's and the One's distort at higher volumes..which doesn't bother me all that much in that these are the speakers I use behind the couch for my 5.1 system. I am no audiophile but I feel that each system offers different features and until you can build a 5.1 system with HomePods or future products, I will gladly keep both.

Just my 2 cents..

9. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

Two reasons for me:

- Sound is much better.
    - I do NOT want Google/Alexa anything in my home spying away for the clown network.

10. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

It's funny how people endlessly complain about the HomePod being a walled garden, when the Sonos products are arguably even more restrictive. With the Sonos, you can only play audio via the Sonos app through Sonos-approved music providers. If you want to play anything that isn't approved by Sonos, you are **** outta luck

Meanwhile the HomePod lets you play anything you want over AirPlay. Heck, the HomePod isn't even necessarily restricted to Apple devices, as people often say, since there are numerous Windows and Android apps that can stream via AirPlay fine.

I know the Sonos Play 2 will soon support AirPlay 2, but Sonos refuses to confirm if they'll be expanding that support to other speakers in their line up. Which sucks, because the inability to stream audio from non-Sonos sources it the only reason I decided not to buy their products several years ago.

11. ozaz macrumors 65816

I would say there are different points on view on this depending on what operating systems you use. I can understand how someone who only uses Apple devices would consider Homepod less restrictive due to Airplay. I on the other hand consider Sonos less restrictive simply because it officially supports multiple operating systems and therefore does not restrict my general computing and mobile hardware choices. Some restriction on music provider choice is much less of an issue for me than restriction on my hardware choices. Whilst you point out there are ways to Airplay from Windows and Android, these are unsupported and limited methods, and in my experience often unreliable.

Also, whilst largely true, it's not entirely true that you can only play to Sonos speakers through the Sonos app. At least three services currently offer direct control from their own app (Spotify, Tidal, Pandora).

12. csurfr macrumors 68000

I sincerely hope that you wouldn’t get bashed for your choice of speaker. That seems petty.

I loved my Sonos, but the lack of AirPlay was super annoying. Supposedly it’s coming, but I believe it has only been truly announced for the new Sonos:One, and not the Play:1...

13. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Sonos players can open up a media stream from just about any source, not just from the "official" media sources. The control API is all http based and while I don't know if it's officially documented it's certainly pretty open. There are a number of 3rd party control solutions if you really dislike the Sonos app, or you can control the system direcly from a number of streaming apps.

In addition, several Sonos devices have line inputs so you can plug basically anything into it and stream it around the house.

Sonos historically has been pretty good about adding new features to older products, so I wouldn't be shocked if they add airplay 2 support to all of the Play speakers as they all run very similar hardware, but Apple will probably need to finally release it before much more can happen ;)

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Does not matter that much to me as I have all my music on my devices and AirPlay is not required.

15. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have a number of Sonos speakers, play 1’s, play 5 and soundbar. I love the HomePod and find it so much easier to control using voice. It is unclear if Sonos will release AirPlay 2 for the versions of Sonos that I have as they are all Gen 1 devices. Just waiting for Apple to release Airplay 2 and will phase out Sonos for HomePod. I use Applemusic and don’t plan switching streaming services. I listen to a lot of prog rock and have found new things in the music using HomePod, compared to Sonos. Time for a bit of ‘Suppers Ready’ I think.

16. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Sonos has confirmed that at least the Play One will get native airplay 2 support, and I suspect the Play:5 2nd gen and PlayBase will as well. The cool thing about Sonos is it only takes one device with airplay support and you can listen to that audio on every other sonos player all the way back to the original ZP100. My guess is that the next Sonos release will be an updated version of the Play:3 with native assistant support, along with an update to the Connect/ ZP90 that can act as an airplay target for those who have an existing Sonos installation, but don't want to add or replace their existing speakers.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just stream off of apple music, so airplay is not a requirement for me. I know its not exactly what you're doing, but I think with competing devices, having airplay shouldn't be a show stopper because there are other options