Why I Will Never Buy An Ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by degucom17, Oct 21, 2011.

1. degucom17 macrumors newbie

When I bought an ipad i thought that since it was more expensive, I could expect to upgrade within two to three years, as with any apple device. When the ipad 2 came out, I saw its minor improvements and was satisfied that I did not need to spend 500 dollars to upgrade. Now, half the games on the app store will not play on 1st generation ipads. Multitouch gestures are no longer supported in ios 5. This is ridiculous. The expect a 500 dollar device to last at least 2 years! I will never buy a ipad again, and the only thing I am hoping for right now is that there are either things done to remedy this situation or I will jailbreak my device and never give money to apple on and ipad again.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Why not just boycott developers who develop games for updated technology? Makes as much sense.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. Meanee macrumors 6502a

iPad, Honeycomb tablets, Playbook, Walmart Branded Tablet, all will be useless in few years. Because there's always next version of whatever device. It's called "progress". Embrace it.

If not for it, we would still be using Lotus 1-2-3 on black and green monitors to this day, and use a cinder block sized cell phone.

Does your iPad do what it did before? Did you get your money's worth? I bought iPad 2, knowing very well there may be iPad 3 coming soon. Then there will be iPad 4. Then my iPad will be slow as a turtle walking through molasses on a cold day when I load up iOS 7 on it. It will happen to every device out there.

5. Mcclure macrumors member

I'm upset that I have an iPad 2 and all those people with iPad 1's are making it so lots of app developers aren't using the full capabilities of the iPad 2.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Here's what a lot of other people saw when the iPad 2 came out:
    Game Developers: iPad 2 Is 'Massive Improvement' Over Predecessor

You are interested in games and you considered the iPad 2's faster processor and NINE TIMES faster graphics performance to be a "minor improvement"?!? That doesn't make sense, IMO.

7. palpatine macrumors 68040

Actually, the problem isn't the iPad. It is the ecosystem. Apple has continued to support iOS updates for the iPad 1. Developers have left it behind.

Unfortunately, as I understand it, there is very little incentive for game developers to try and maintain backwards compatibility. The time they put into the product will be better rewarded by the larger number of iPad 2 owners, and the better performance characteristics it offers. I imagine a lot of games have a relatively short shelf life. In addition, people that care about games usually try and get the latest tech for it.

Upgrade. Sell your iPad 1 for a good price, get an iPad 2, and you might only lose a couple hundred dollars in the process (think of that as 10 dollars a month rent, or something like that).

Not much point in boycotting Apple. You'll get the same treatment in Android (or, so I hear).

8. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

touche. the additional 256 RAM is also pretty significant.

9. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

over react much?

first of all Android tablets are going to have the same problems as google comes out with newer versions and the developers dont want to upgrade their old hardware. Secondly, there are maybe a dozen apps in the app store that wont really run well on a first gen ipad, and none that require ipad 2(except any that need a camera of course). Personally, aside from real racing 2 (which runs great on the ipad 1 be it with less impressive graphics) i havent found a single "high graphics" game that is really playable on any ios device. the controls are suited more for the 16-bit style games (tower defense games, doodlejump, jetpack joyride, etc.)

I still love my ipad 1 and the only thing that would be worth an upgrade to me would be that retina display that keeps coming down the rumor mill....

and i do hate that they took away our mutlitouch gestures as well, although technically apple never gave us those in the first place.....

10. locust76 macrumors 6502a

No, it's a bit different.

Instead of being left in the dust every year, you get left in the dust every month, because there's new hardware and the latest flavor of whatever dessert Google thinks up next, all the while your Android device is still running 2.3 which was already a year old when you bought the thing, but you think to yourself "it's no problem, I can just update to Android 3.0," but you can't, because the manufacturer of your device doesn't allow it, so you have to wait for them to come up with their own version, if they do at all.

11. neenja macrumors 6502

so you are blaming apple for game developers not wanting to make their games backwards compatible.

smart.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Its not Apple's fault. Its the developers fault for not making their apps compatible with older hardware.

13. iEvolution macrumors 65816

In other words you don't want technology to advance you just want it to stay the same?

Its a FIRST GENERATION product, which means its likely going to go through a lot of changes with each generation. It should be expected.

The fact that Apple has discounted the first gen products so much is a good indicator that it isn't as capable as the 2nd gen.

14. rosalindavenue, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I'm an iPad 1 owner who does not play many games. Are half of the games really unplayable? What are some notable ones that don't make the grade?

I've never had cause to complain about my iPad 1 before today,when it was incredibly slow paging through PDF files in goodreader. I should have rebooted it but did not.

15. Meanee macrumors 6502a

You seem to know nothing of Android, and trying to make a point.

First, Android 3.0 is an "odd" version. You cannot put it on a phone, and Google still won't release it's source code. They are trying to control user experience a bit more.

Ice Cream Sandwich will be able to go on older hardware, and the source/SDK is already out. In fact, someone already ported it to Nexus S. It's not in a usable form, but it's there.

If you look at Android release history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history), you will see that it's no "every month" as you said. And Android apps are backwards compatible. So you are not left in a dust. For example, the 2.x branch started in October 09. 2.1 was a bug fix, sort of like iOS 4.3 to 4.3.1. 2.2 was May 2010. 7 months later. 2.3 was out on December 2010.

So, before you start bashing things, how about getting your facts straight?

16. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

No, half isn't even close. My iPad still plays many games 100% fine. NBA Jam, Madden, NOVA 2, etc...they all play fine. Heck I just finished a round of Mortal Kombat, there's no issues...

17. iEvolution macrumors 65816

You are confused, the Android operating systems aren't released that often what makes it confusing is how Google has allowed the android os to be customized to fit the phone manufactuer's needs.

There are so many different modified versions of the same core that it may seem like it is released every week when really its not.

From what I understand google is trying to remedy this with the latest release by reducing the amount of customizing the phone manufacturer's can do.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Got a list?

I highly doubt it's anywhere close to half, or a quarter, or even 10%.

rosalindavenue, do you know that people CAN lie on the internet? There is no evidence to support the half claim.

19. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

Please, list some of these games that I cannot play with only an iPad 1.

I have never felt a need to upgrade to iPad 2, because I haven't found any apps that wouldn't work on my first generation model.

That being said, I think that safari performance is disappointing under 4.3 and 5.0.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

My main purpose for buying the iPad was to read PDFs. I liked the iPad1 a lot. But, there were some PDFs that crashed it. And, it was a lot slower than the iPad2 when it came to larger files, or ones with lots of images. So far, with my iPad2, I haven't come across a PDF that can crash it, so that has made me quite satisfied.

I don't know what the OP uses their iPad for, but in my use case, the iPad 2 is clearly a better device (as it ought to be).

21. melva macrumors member

OMG I need to sell my stock

These one person boycots can kill a company

22. Skika macrumors 68030

23. matt90036 macrumors regular

I boycotted apple, went down the android road and got worst treatment. So now I'm back to apple. Good luck to anyone else. And by the way, on Android your won't even get OS updates and whatever you buy you might be stuck with.

24. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You should buy an Android tablet. I'm sure you'll be much happier, because there are so many more apps available for Android. And of course, updates are available for download right away when they come out from Google. And you'll never have to worry about the device you buy not being supported in a year. As we all know, manufacturers using Android will continue to support hardware and software for years after they produce their devices. And you never have to worry about Malware in the Android marketplace either. I don't know why anyone would ever buy an iPad, when the pinnacle of tablets is any Android tablet. :D

25. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Hahaha lol nice response :D