Why I won't bootcamp Windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HIMAN1998, Sep 22, 2013.

1. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I found out why I won't bootcamp Windows 7 onto my MacBook. It's all in the installation. I have a desktop PC that I thought was dead, but I decided to try and revive it. I took out some RAM and it booted, but I found out my hard drive was bad. I got an old 250GB from a laptop and put it in there. It's currently installing Windows updates. Possibly the longest install I've ever seen, especially for my 50/25 connection through ethernet. I don't want to attempt that on my MacBook.

2. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

Is that the only reason you wont bootcamp?
    I wont bootcamp because i dont want to.

3. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I want to, but I had too much trouble trying earlier. The trackpad was working erratically and no tap to click.

4. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

mine came pre-installed on my macbook 2010 but it all worked perfectly. took it off because i use windows on my other lappy.

5. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I use it on my desktop, I think Windows is a better operating environment for a desktop, and Mac is best for portable. Linux can be on either and work fine. I might try to bootcamp Ubuntu.

6. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Just curious as to why this is your reasoning? I would think you would get the same experience from the same OS (Apple, Linux, or Windows) in a desktop or portable.

7. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

The only reason i would have windows on a desktop is for playing games as a windows desktop is infinitely more expandable than a mac.

8. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

With a desktop running Windows, you can run things like games better, especially on a desktop. Plus, new Macs aren't easily upgradable, and if I build my desktop, I can upgrade that as much as possible. Sure, there's hackintosh, but I would rather just stick to Windows on a desktop. Also, some desktops run much faster than laptops in the Windows world. I was using my friend's iMac with an i3, 4GB RAM, etc. and I saw no improvement over my MacBook. When I had a Windows laptop, there was a huge improvement between it and my desktop.

9. MeUnix, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013

MeUnix macrumors 6502

I see what you're saying. Just for clarification, I wasn't doubting you ;)

I agree that Windows is where it's at for the gamers, like you said they're more expandable

10. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

The only reason I bootcamp is because of Visual Studio or Microsoft SQL Manager

11. vistadude macrumors 65816

Installing windows updates from a fresh install is about as slow as downloading iOS. It has almost nothing to do with your connection speed. You can just install windows 7 and start using it. Day by day, it will download more updates automatically. No need to do them all at once or even any of them as windows 7 is very secure and stable out of the box.