Why I Won't Switch Back to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KAB2010, Jun 10, 2011.

1. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

The iPhone is great. I like what iOS 5 brings, especially notification center. I bought an HTC Inspire a few months ago, and honestly the only thing keeping me from going back to the iPhone is the want of a larger screen and text wrap in the browser, as those 2 features make things so much easier since I'm constantly on the internet. However, great battery life would be nice.. lol.

2. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

I bought the Inspire, then i witnessed the battery life, then i took it back. Otherwise i thought it was a nice device.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad you are enjoying your Inspire. No one knows for sure what the next iPhone will feature. It might have a larger screen, but who knows.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Not trying to be a jerk, how long does the battery last on the inspire?

5. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was tempted with an inspire a few weeks ago, seemed great the few hours I had to play with it (an AT&T rep let me play with his phone while I waited the 3+ hours). The only thing that stopped me was the 5 lines/family plan limit. Once I've completely migrated my iOS use to my iPad I think an android is going to be my next phone.

6. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I use the browser and Facebook app A LOT, so about 6 hours I'd say.. and thats with a lot of features turned off. So its pretty bad lol, good thing I'm near my charger almost all of the time. I've seen reports of much longer battery life. All depends on how you use it I suppose. I would say I'm a heavy user, and that when I don't use those things I could most likely get a full day out of it.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, the Inspire was much maligned as a result.

9. kppolich macrumors 6502a

kppolich

i would never trade battery life for screen size. id rather be able to use my phone then look at a slightly bigger black display in an emergency. 6 hours is pathetic

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I'd have to agree. If you need a bigger screen then buy a tablet or a netbook, or alternatively take a trip to specsavers.

Having a screen so big and a CPU so powerful that the battery lasts 6 hours is daft, as is blogging about it on an Apple Forum!

11. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well as I said, I am generally near a charger so it's not as big an issue as it is to some. And I also said that is with heavy use, it's fine with light usage such as a phone call or two and texting throughout the day.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

You know glasses don't make your fingers smaller right? I want a bigger screen because I have big hands, but I don't want an iPad. A 4" (or 4.3") screen would be amazing on an iPhone, and I'm sure Apple could achieve that without too much of a hit to the size of the phone or battery life. Also, a dual core processor would bring way more power without affecting battery life.

13. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I have the HTC Inspire. I found battery life improved with a custom rom. I'm currently using Android Revolution.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

No kidding. I don't have a landline, so that wouldn't work for me at all.

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I don't think having a 3.7" to 4" screen will hurt.

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I think at this point, almost 3 years using an iPhone, I have too much invested in apps to trade off to android. I like some of the android phones out there, but a lot of them are so fly by night or as previously stated, they suck on battery life. But yeah, having bought a considerable amount of apps that I use often, iOS is gonna be my rig for a while yet.

17. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I bought the AT&T HTC Inspire 4G. Tried Android for a month and loved it. However, the battery life on the HTC Inspire phone is beyond terrible. Talk about being tethered to a charger. I guess I demand too much from my phone but with my use, the iPhone 4 lasts the whole day. HTC Inspire 4G barely made it to 6 PM.

I am going to wait and try Android when the battery life is better, or I find a model that is cheap and has great battery life. Until then. Bye bye android for me.

The bigger screen is nice but I was actually happier switching back to the much smaller screen iPhone 4. Much more compact.

18. KAB2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah Android has some amazing phones but most of them have bad battery life.. Every Android superphone should have at least a 1600 mah battery.

19. mckinnie macrumors newbie

Good luck.. just got rid of my Inspire and came back to an iP4..

Nothing but little quirks, bugs, terrible battery, and pure annoyance in my personal opinion. Hope you have a better time with yours than I did with mine!

20. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Me too, got rid of my Inspire 4G about two weeks ago. I had terrible issues, like a random white screen, and then all of my data getting erased. Seriously, it happened multiple times and that was even before I started putting custom ROMs on it.

21. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I watched a Galaxy SII demo on youtube. The entire time I was watching it, I kept thinking, "jeez, it would take me a month to learn all the different ways to configure it."

While some may like that. I don't! At the end of the day, I just want my phone to be simple and to just work. The iPhone may have a stale UI, but it is so easy to use. While Android fans bash on Apple for making small incremental changes, I for one like the added value in each upgrade without really sacrificing my learning curve. I could get by just fine with 4.3.3 for many years, so annual updates that provide real value is a bonus!

Likewise, I have a ton invested in the Apple ecosystem...so I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon!

22. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

I currently have a Droid X and plan on replacing it with the iPhone 5. Too many apps force close, completely restart my phone, or are plain crap to use and I only use widgets to take up screen space. Not to mention the stock music player would make my screen not turn on sometimes after I'd switch songs so then I would have to sit there and try to turn off the phone without seeing anything on the screen (or take case off, take battery out).

23. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

I'm a huge HTC fan so the Inspire is a pretty good phone. I like that HTC has Sense UI which does help replace some functions of the iPhone. Overall, Android phones are great but I've had a horrible time with battery life. My HTC Desire runs a total of 4 hours on normal use T_T. While that does mean that I'm a heavier user, I just can't be recharging the phone several times a day.

The Galaxy SII was the other unit that I had my eye on and may end up getting an unlocked version to play with. Specs are like an enhanced iPhone 4. While it doesn't take that long to learn Android, it's less straight forward than iOS. Samsung's homescreens are pretty chock full of information which is why I think it would save time if I had 5 desktop screens with all the feed info and other goodies. I use Citrix and VNC tech a lot so those are major battery drains. iPhone has enough battery life for what I do so I just end up sticking with it.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

This thread would fit better on an android forum IMO.
    I dont think many here care if you switch back to using an iphone or not. We all have different needs and tastes. The iphone is not for everyone.