Why I would buy an iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Celtic-moniker, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Celtic-moniker macrumors regular

I posted this elsewhere, but I feel that it needed a bit of an elaboration, and it's own discussion.

First of all, if tomorrow night (my time) there is an announcement of the iPhone 5 in a new and redesigned shell, I'd probably be reasonably excited. But...

Ya know... in all honesty i'd be entirely happy to buy an iPhone 4S, ie. as an up spec iPhone 4. I mean.... It's nice to see Apple going along the route of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. The iPhone 4's design (antenna aberrations, and broken glass) not withstanding, is still a very good design. I don't want to buy one of those oversize screen phones; as I have an iPad which manages far better than one of those ever will.

I kinda feel that I'm not being whingeboi enough, and I'm sure I'll be accused for 'settling for less' etc. But seriously, the larger screen phones aren't enough to sway me away from my current iPhone 3GS. I just don't need the screen real estate. I need a phone that sits in my pocket, and does what I need it to do. and an iPhone 4S is perfectly poised to do that.

My GS is ageing, and needs to be replaced. It's copped a few knocks and scrapes from being.... dropped off my motorbike.... But has performed beautifully with naught a repair needed. It ran out of contract last month.

I love the apps that I currently use on my phone. I love the familiarity of how it functions. Buying something for a bigger screen, and then having to relearn and re adjust just strikes me as being massively counter productive. Why would I do it to myself? For a bigger screen? As I have pointed out, it's really not worth it too me.

It would massively impede my workflow. I don't know about you guys but I just don't have the time to fiddle with that rubbish.

The iPhone 4 is a solidly performing phone. But I didn't have to jump out there and get one when it came out, as my iPhone 3GS has served me beautifully well in that time. But I have looked at them, and felt that ping of 'oh, that's a sweet looking piece of hardware'.

I feel that a lot of the heat on here is by people wanting a ferrari, and having to stick with a Holden (Cadillac for our American crew). Trouble is, the holden does everything I need, while the Ferrari is just a fast toy. And let's face it, you don't have a solid reason for 'a bigger screen' or a 'different design'. But those are the big criticisms that are currently being levelled against the oncoming device.

I do feel for you guys. I really do. I feel the insecurities of not having an instantly recognisable piece of 'awesome' is overpowering the need for something which is a solid performer. I have never seen apple as being that kind of company, rather a company that develops innovative products, rather than indulging in product size wars.

Form and function over boastful screen size?

Apple's got me.

But the last thing I need is a bigger phone. Sure, they seem to be making them wider yet flatter. But honestly I just want my phone to slip into my pocket and not require me to think about it. My 3GS does that.

----------

And quite frankly, considering the release cycle for Android phones is 1 roughly every 2 weeks, the screen size/design point game would be a loosing battle for Apple. Best not to play it on the Android designers terms, but rather on their own. The three major IOS products stand up on their own well.

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I read the first sentance of each of your "paragraphs". I think more choices are rarely a bad thing, eventually Apple is going to need to expand their iPhone line to possibly two different form factors to reach a broader spectrum of customers. To the whole "If it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality, there was so much bad press about the iPhone 4 (Consumer Reports STILL won't recommend it) I think Apple really needs to either distance themselves from the design or take a stand and stick by it - unfortunately I think they're going to stick by it. I had purchased an iPhone 4 and had to return it because of constant dropped calls. I will upgrade simply because it's time, my 3GS has served it's time, but I will be disappointed without some changes to address the issues of the iPhone 4. One thing that will make me happy is for it to have an LED notification light. I've really been missing that since I moved to the iPhone.

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If you do want a faster phone with better battery life maybe the 4s is worth it.

4. Celtic-moniker thread starter macrumors regular

Some solid points here. I personally have come across no complaints about the antenna, and I don't see it as being completely out of the realm of possibility that Apple may have made some quiet changes to it's design anyway. I guess we'll see.

5. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

6. Celtic-moniker thread starter macrumors regular

I definitely think so personally.

----------

If the Aluminium is like the original iPad, then no. That thing was soft as.

I learned my lesson with the iPhone on the bike. I now have a very nice cradle on the handlebars with it's own charge cradle. No more sitting in pockets and fidgeting.

7. eaglesteve, Oct 3, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I like the existing frame and glass look, and have never experienced any antenna problem, so that's not the aspects I like to see changed.

I just want a 4 to 4.3 inch screen. Nothing is as important as this to me. If iPhone 4S has bigger screen, I'll upgrade. Otherwise, I'll keep using my iPhone 4. Currently I hold the screen about 5 inches from my face to make up the text, and have to use it landscape, and I'm sick of this. Yes I already have an iPad. No, I don't don't want to lug it with me outside the house. No, I don't want Andoird phones. No, I'm not wanting a big phone for sake of showing it off to my friends. Yes, it is for functionality and usability reasons. Yes, I am already wearing glasses. No, I don't want to use the accessibility zoom feature. No, I don't think you guys understand our problems at all.

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I and many that own the iPhone 4 can say the same thing in regards as to why they wouldn't get the 4s.

Just like you didn't go from the 3GS to the 4 ;)

9. Celtic-moniker thread starter macrumors regular

You know... if it did have a bigger screen (the next phone) I would probably still seriously consider it. But it's not a high priority in my workflow, and it doesn't hold a lot of value to me. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker. But if they offered a 4S with an A5, along side a 5 with a bigger screen? I might very well be inclined to just simply go for the 4S.

----------

That's it. The jump just wasn't needed. Like the earlier chap, the my GS has served me well, and just is getting tired. It could easily last another year, but the battery isn't what it used to be, and the newer software is straining the CPU.

10. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

11. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If leaked photos are of any indication, the battery is virtually the same.

12. Celtic-moniker thread starter macrumors regular

I see your point. And this is why I love my iPad. As it stands, I rarely miss a button on my iPhone while texting. Even in portrait. Of course it may have benefits, but I feel it the wider screen may negate some of the practicalities I need from a phone.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

It shouldn't be with an a5 chip surely?

14. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I'm still using a 3G so, either way, I get a new one and be happy with it. I'm excited either way, bigger screen or not, I'm getting a massive upgrade.

15. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Last time I checked more power drains more battery so you're right, wont be as good haha. Nah obviously don't know what the battery will be like but since everyone swears by leaked photos of the device that looks like the iPhone 4 being real, the photo I saw had only a slightly better battery.

16. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

This is the only reason why Apple has not moved up to a bigger screen, I believe. For such a small screen, text entry in iOS is a breeze compared to my 4.3 in android. I make more mistakes typing in android than is iOS. I don't know what it is.

17. Celtic-moniker thread starter macrumors regular

I'm seeing a weird trend here, that anyone that's advocating that there doesn't need to be a bigger screen, is getting voted downwards. I hate to say it, but for the 2 or three of you that have, having the regular sized screen which has worked fantastically for 4 years, isn't going to be changed by voting down other people's opinions.

18. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Doesn't dual core mean better battery life? It only powers the second when it needs it so most of the time it would theoretically be half the power of the A4. Could be completely off base though.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.794249,-74.125918