Why I would like an App Store on OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steviem, Jun 25, 2010.

1. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I have been thinking long about the idea of an App Store in OSX for apps that will run on the Mac.

Canonical has released their version of an App Store, which is basically a nicer presented version of aptitude (its package manager).

To have something similar to this on OSX would be brilliant. Yes, there is plenty of software you can get without an app store, but this isn't the whole issue.

- It would reduce the use of Google search (something I'm sure Apple would like to see.)
    - Package management is something I miss from Linux. Think Apple Software Update just for all of your applications, much like the ability in iOS/iTunes for that app store.
    - Easy for users to buy their apps.
    - Hopefully Apple could get iOS applications running on OSX almost like desktop widgets.

Of course, there is the worry that they would be very restrictive with the apps allowed, but I would envision the ability to add repositories for non approved apps.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But what about the bigger applications like Smoke, Maya, Avid, Cinema 4D, Final Cut Studio and the many software titles for all the other specific fields of work like research and such?

Many of them have some kind of bugs, it would take forever for Apple to properly test them, especially if external hardware is part of the package.

And the amount of data that has to be downloaded for the installers, Avid alone is almost a GB, Adobe's software titles use even bigger installers. I know Apple currently builds its own server farm in NC, but the amount of data they had to handle with such applications is enormous, that's why the vendors offer it and many software collection sites just link to the vendor's download pages.

Also many Macs don't have an internet connection, especially the editing stations I worked at. They may be linked to an intranet, but the internet is often excluded from those machines, as a part of security.

3. kasakka macrumors 68000

Appbodega is pretty much what you're looking for and AppFresh does the updates quite nicely. Obviously neither has all programs available but both are very well made.

The problem with an app store is that the crap can easily overpower the good, making it hard to pick out the best apps for your needs. Ratings can only do so much because there are different needs and usage preferences. Apple's App Store for the iPhone sucks because it has no demo capability unless there is a lite version of a software - obviously there won't be one for all the crappy, poorly made applications. Don't even get me started on the app store in iTunes, what a piece of crap!

4. alienapp macrumors member

Application size aside I think that an app store is a good idea. Time will take care of the bandwidth and storage problem.

Many developers already think that OSX will be more like IOS in the future. So it is very possible that an app store will appear on the mac in 2 - 3 years. Its not entirely true that most macs don't have an internet connection, its just the macs that are used as workstations that don't usually have internet connection.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I wrote many, not most. And implied them being workstations.

6. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

This is where repositories come in handy as it wouldn't be on Apple to fix the issues of those applications. Although I'll take a look at App Bodega...

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why would they like to see this? Apple and Google don't compete in the web search arena.

You and the .05% of the other Linux converts :p Package management is nice, but way above the average user.

This can be a blessing and a curse.

There are plenty of ways to have Desktop widgets without adopting iOS to Intel hardware.

8. steviem thread starter macrumors 68020

steviem

Woop!

I had to search this because I could've sworn that I started a thread about this...

Really excited to start seeing this in action.