Why I WOULD NOT update to the "2019" yet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by linxy33, May 21, 2019.

1. linxy33 macrumors member

We very well could see a newer design this summer boasting better thermals and 16".. making the line up
    16 (starting somewhere in the neighborhood of $4000 and only for demanding Pros)

don't give up hope. and also don't buy into this clever marketing of Apple simply releasing a new keyboard for repairs but their marketing team had to tie it onto something so they beefed up the i9...……………

Think of this as the iPhone X event.. ( 2 normal iphones we have seen before(8 and 8 Plus) and 1 new one..)

hold your horses.. for now

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

3. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Sure.. New design is pushed back to next year the way I see it. Would be an unprecedented move in recent history to release a new design in less than 6 months. Doesn't make sense when there's also no new processors available for that update.

4. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

You can wait - I'm not. Just placed my order for a maxed out MBP. I am not a "lets wait and see what rolls over the horizon" person. I would prefer 17" MBP - not a 16". But with an updated keyboard and 8 cores, 15" is good enough for me. You only live once.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely wait, it too about 4 months to get reports that the 3rd generation keyboard was starting to fail. For that reason alone, I'd recommend a wait and see attitude.

I highly doubt we'll see any 16" laptop this year, I don't see them doing a spec bump a few weeks before WWDC, and then roll out a new laptop there.

6. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

I will definitely be waiting. I will not even consider a new MBP until they begin to produce Macs with a 10nm processor.

7. leman macrumors G3

Are you just saying this or do you actually have some factual arguments to why this is likely? Also, why would the alleged 16" model have better thermals? For all we know, its just the current 15" with smaller display bezels (I measured it, my 15" can comfortably fit a 16.5" display).
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2019 ---
    I second this. The 8-core HR CPUs will offer a healthy sustained multi-core performance improvement over the regular Coffee Lake in any case, but its not something I personally care about that much. Ice Lake will come with much needed IPC and architectural improvements, plus, we will have new GPUs later this year.

Still, with the CFL-HR update, the MBP is in a very good spot right now. It offers better performance than most slim workstations at a comparable price point.

8. NBAasDOGG macrumors 6502

NBAasDOGG

See you in 2021-2022!

9. kp98077 macrumors 6502

kp98077

dumb question perhaps, will the new keyboard feel different? I don't like the current one on my 2018 MBP! Hate typing on it.. actually...

10. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

I highly doubt Apple will release a new, redesigned model this year. There is no way there are going to announce what is essentially a mid-2019 device and replace it with a redesigned model that same year.

Give it up, the keyboard isn't changing and we are stuck with it. They may well introduce a 16" model, but that butterfly keyboard isn't going anywhere.
    --- Post Merged, May 21, 2019 ---
    I don't think its going to feel any different. They essentially are saying they changed the membrane underneath the keyboard from what I understand to make it less prone to debris failure. I could be wrong on this but the actual butterfly mechanism isn't changing.

11. leman macrumors G3

There was this very detailed thread on Reddit, where a tech has disassembled and analysed the butterfly keyboard (its very detailed and insightful, google for it!). His conclusions were that keyboard issues are most likely due to eventual material fatigue that causes the switch to malfunction. Apple mentions something about a "new material", which would suggest that the analysis was correct and this "new material" is probably less prone to fatigue under the same conditions.

12. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Right, but I don’t think that this new material is going to make the keyboard feel any different.

13. leman macrumors G3

I agree. If there is any change, it's probably very minor. People who violently dislike low-travel keyboards won't find any love in any laptop Apple is bringing out.

14. Allistah macrumors member

Allistah

15. Broric macrumors regular

My late-2013 retina is dying, the battery is almost dead, the charging port looks like it's closed to fried so I've been waiting for the last few months for any news of an update.

Going to pull the trigger on a new 15" :)

16. PhoneI macrumors 68000

I waited.........10 minutes to order a new 15 inch MacBook Pro for the wife.

17. Thysanoptera macrumors 6502a

I really hope this is not the case. It would indicate that:

a) Apple uses reddit as source of engineering solutions
    b) or, Apple and its hundreds of billions in revenue each year needed 4 years to come to the same conclusions as some random reddit dude did after he just looked once at the switch. After all, they did put condoms on switches just a year ago - it wasn't done to reinforce the strength of them.

I think they just throw crap at the wall and hope something will stick, if only to create an illusion that something is being done. I'm sure they have enough data right now to calculate that it is economically more viable for them to continue with butterfly and offer replacement to everyone.

18. leman macrumors G3

Your reasoning skills are legendary :p Apple knows the keyboard better than anyone else and I am sure they have a very detailed model of what drivers the failures. The reddit post is the most thorough analysis of their design that WE know. My personal interpretation of all this is that the Redditor who did the analysis was actually onto something, unlike everyone else (dirt, that etc.).

Anyway, knowing what causes the problem is very different from knowing how to fix it. If you are seriously suggesting that any keyboard changes Apple did was because of a reddit post that appeared few weeks ago, well...

From the official 2018 model announcement: "Additional updates include [...] and an improved third-generation keyboard for quieter typing". Apple's official statement on the membrane was always about noise reduction. Many (me included) have instead interpreted it as a measure to reduce dust accumulation. Based on the latest available evidence, it is likely that our interpretation was wrong.

That is also possible. And you are certainly right with the last statement. They have no incentive, financial or otherwise, to make drastic moves on the matter.

19. Thysanoptera, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019

Thysanoptera macrumors 6502a

It was a sarcastic statement, sorry if it was not obvious. On the other hand, I was actually invited by Dell to conference call with their engineers based on my forum posts about issues with TB15 dock, so.. I wouldn't discount this possibility completely ;)

20. Brian Y macrumors 68040

The only reason I can see for getting a 2019 MBP right now is as a CRU for your 2016-2018 after multiple keyboard repairs.

I wouldn't spend money on a product you basically know is faulty.

21. CrysisDeu macrumors member

OP just predicted the new 2019 refresh, so I would wait to see.
    I have waited from 2016, why would I buy a 2019 model which basically is the same laptop anyway.
    Navi is comming out, micro led is comming out, and the t2 chip and the keyboard..

22. leman macrumors G3

A good reason to get a 2019 MBP is to replace your aging pre-2016 model. Note that Apple positions this refresh as replacement to quad-core models.

23. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

yea pretty doubtful they would release a 16" model this year with a new keyboard and they just update the keyboard in the 2019 models. So that means that even if they released a 16" version it more than likely has the EXACT same keyboard in the 2019 models just released.
    I don't see them updating the MacBook Pros in October now that they released the 2019's. Just doesn't make sense unless they redesign the whole lineup and get rid of the 15's in favor of the 16"s.

24. leman macrumors G3

What is interesting about yesterday's update is that Apple might be reviewing their release schedule. For the past few years, they had the history of waiting until all elements are "in place" (e.g. CPUs, GPUs etc. so that the update is fully worthwhile). But it seems that they done waiting for partners and instead are going back to immediate spec bumps. The next big release will be tied to Intel's Ice Lake — and that CPU is supposed to be available by winter holiday season (its not quite clear to me though whether its just the lower-power models or whether the 45W parts are also included in this roadmap).

25. Ploki macrumors 68040

well, they release 2012 retina + 2012 nonretina at the same time with exact same chips, except retina had overclocked GPU and better cooling.

So a new design might as well have the same chips, but better (or in this case, adequate) cooling.
    --- Post Merged, May 22, 2019 ---
    That may or may not drive the resale value down and what's more, make their product line confusingly overpopulated. (kinda like ipad. or iphone. so that's very likely)